Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
do you still have your first bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm just wondering for those that have upgraded and bought new bikes, did you keep your first one? I'm thinking about getting a new roadie and selling my current and first road bike to help pay for it. However, I am a bit attached to my old specialized allez, many good memories. anyone else have separation issues?
Quote Reply
Re: do you still have your first bike? [yoondaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do, a Specialized Allez Elite. I started riding in 2003 so it isn't such a surprise I guess. (It hasn't been ridden in a couple years though)
Quote Reply
Re: do you still have your first bike? [Jamison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes to the first three bikes and wheels, bought in 1987,1988 and 1989. Still using the two of them today for training and going strong.

Still racing and qualified for 2003 age group worlds on the 1989 bike.

It's all about the muscles driving the bike.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first real bike was a 1988 haro team master..didnt keep it..should have..would love to see my boys riding it

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/15082
Last edited by: mike s: Dec 17, 09 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, 1985 Healing Mini Max 20"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nope,

and i want to kick myself in the ass everysingle day for selling it. It was a voodoo rada road, full ultegra 9 reynolds 853 steel frame with a kinesis fork, got it in 2000 for about 1g. It was nothing fancy, but I learned did my first road races, crits, centuries and even my first tri (a HIM) on it.

about 3.5 years ago, I had already upgraded to a different road bike, I had just started dating this girl that I really liked, her b day was coming up and my meager paycheck for lifeguarding was 5 days away, I was flat broke.

there was this local roadie who always wanted that voodoo, so I called him up, got 450.00 cash for it.

I have been bummed ever since, I still daydream about getting at a new fram of the same model and building it up.

all that being said, I have gotten rid of 5 or 6 bikes that I dont miss at all, gt road bike, cannondale caad 8, look 361, klein, felt etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I did it would be worth about $15. It was used in 1979 when I bought it for $45. It was nothing special, just a French made 10 speed sport bike but it at least got me interested in cycling.

I'm not counting the Sting Ray I had as a kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First bike was a Fuji (Hi Matty!) touring bike I bought off my sister for $150 (she had just graduated college and needed money). First NEW bike was a black Cannondale I bought for $600 by going halves with my parents; it was early 1990 and I was 16. I traded it for a desk after I got a QR in early 2002; hey, I needed a desk more than I needed a second bike.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, my wife rides it now. I keep offering to upgrade her bike, but she is in love with the Specialized Allez Elite with the bumble bee paint job whose geo we had to hack to make it fit her as a tribike (I'm short torso, she's long torso).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It is a 1987 GT Mach One BMX bike. Chrome of course, and boy was I excited when I got the Redline Flight cranks for it. 3 piece cranks were a big deal then. As far as my first roadie, yes as well. A 2001 Trek 2200 in the cool yellow and blue scheme complete with blue Rolf wheels. It's hanging in the bike room, which is kinda getting full......

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've kept em all, mostly cause they're not worth much to sell. I was just thinking tonight maybe I should donate the oldest, a Motobecane touring bike from about 1980, to make some more room. Did my first tri on it in 1986 and bought a Centurion Dave Scott expert about 3 weeks later. I have 3 road and 3 mountain bikes.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GREAT question! My first bike I bought as a senior in college at the local used bike swap store (Hampshire Bike Exchange I think). A 1988 steel Bianchi and I love it. Every once in a while I think about selling it because it sits in the basement and we don't have a lot of space, but I know I would regret it. I take it out at least once a year though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 1979 Huffy with training wheels? I don't have it anymore. That bike was probably converted into a boat anchor years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: do you still have your first bike? [Jamison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also started out with an Allez which I still have kicking around. I sometimes use it to commute longer distances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first roadie is now my commuter/winter bike. Still ride it often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm just wondering for those that have upgraded and bought new bikes, did you keep your first one? I'm thinking about getting a new roadie and selling my current and first road bike to help pay for it. However, I am a bit attached to my old specialized allez, many good memories. anyone else have separation issues?

Nope...not the first "real" road bike...that was a mid-70s Gitane that was stolen while I was still in High School (not long after completely rebuilding/repainting it...arghh)

But, I still have the first road bike I bought after graduating from college. Her name is "Violet"...although some like to refer to her as "Barney"

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I did. When I was 16 I saved up a bunch of cash and bought a Raleigh "Racing USA", olympic edition (1984) road bike. It was a fantstic bike. Sold it freshman year in college so I could buy a mountain bike. It was a bad decision, I miss that old girl.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: do you still have your first bike? [Bucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My 1979 Huffy with training wheels? I don't have it anymore. That bike was probably converted into a boat anchor years ago.

Mine wasn't a 1979 but it probably met a similar fate!

Bike Racks Never leave home without one.
Quote Reply
Re: do you still have your first bike? [mikedirectory2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I did have some murrays and huffies as well, I just dont really consider them bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the bikes my parents bought when I was a kid, then I used my Dad's old bike, but I still have all the bikes I bought since, including a broken Bianchi frame hanging in the basement. My oldest are two Vitus circa 1987 and 1990. Still working order, I ride the 1990 as a winter bike.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have my first road bike from 1984. It's a dark Green Bianchi that I couldn't part with. I saved up all my money when I was in highschool and put down $400 for my first real racing bike in 1984.

I have since then bought and sold many bikes but still have my first real bike. I brougt into my LBS and had it converted into a fixed gear bike. All the guys in the bike shop loved the bike.

I now use the bike everyday as my commuting bike.

Keep your bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sold mine last year. It was a 1990 Concorde road bike. I road it for 10 yrs and sold it to my nephew. I bought it back off him 2 yrs later and used it as a winter beater for a few years and sold it again. I passed the new owner riding it in a race last year.

I have enough bikes now that I don't miss it (as of today ;) )
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope......I gave my Dave Scott Ironman edition Centurion to my brother years ago........it fell off of his truck and was run over by a bigger truck.....he said that he watched it all unfold in his rear view.......he did not even stop.

I had moved on to a Kestrel KM40 EMS.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still have my road bike after investing in a tri bike for races and most road training. Keep the roadie inside propped up right next to my rollers. It's also nice to have it around in case friends want to race or I feel like riding with a group.

2014: 40k TT focus

Race reports at http://tripikapp.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1984 Raliegh Team USA. Stolen in college :-(
Quote Reply

Prev Next