Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

do photochromatic lenses work?
Quote | Reply
looking for bike glasses that are a bit lighter for darker weather, rain, evenings but still help avoiding eye contact and when the setting sun gets in your eye etc. I used to have mountain bike glasses called bolle snake eyes - almost clear/pale green lens with mirror layer but they dont make those any more.

adidas vario (Aero/Evil eye) glasses look interesting but a bit pricey - they promise to go from almost claer to tinted - do photochromatic lenses do what you hope or are they always a bit too dark to be handy? I see they dont have vents and a sweat bumper which blocks the airflow a bit - does that mean they fog up easily?

are there other brands that work?
Quote Reply
Re: do photochromatic lenses work? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Photochromatic lenses do work but they take a while to adjust... probably 2-3 minutes to go from their lightest to their darkest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had them on regular glasses before, and didn't really care for them. They never got completely clear, which was annoying indoors, and never got as dark as I'd like them outdoors so weren't really useful as sunglasses for me (I have pretty light-sensitive eyes). However, my son has them on his regular glasses and loves them, but he also has a regular pair of prescription sunglasses for when he's planning to be outdoors. I think if you were looking for something to work in overcast/variable light they'd be OK, but probably not for really sunny days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do work, but at least for me, the. ones that I bought to use to transition from not-so-bright AM light to full blast noon light wouldn't get dark enough. That's been the main issue. There are 'darker' photochromatics, but I've found that they are typically so dark to begin with that you're better off just saving your money and getting straight-up dark sunglasses.

Interestingly, I do notice that photochromatics do help me with my normal vision glasses that I don't use for sport. They go from completely clear to dark-looking; when I'm in sun, I first thought "man, these don't help at all!" since everything was still painfully bright, but every time I swap to my non-photochromatic glasses and stand in the same sun, it's "ouch! ok, they work, I'll stick with photochromatics!'

For sports, darker is better for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Tifosi photochromatic lenses. The only problem I have is normally when riding my tri bike, my head is tilted down and direct sunlight can't reach the glasses, so they don't get dark enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Tifosi glasses with photochromatic lenses that I use for all my bike riding. I find they work well enough that I put them on when I leave the house in the early hours, when they are clear, through the afternoon, when the sun is high and bright and they are dark enough. I guess they work sufficiently for some people and not others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer: yes, they do.

I have been using photochromic lenses exclusively for the past 4ish years on the bike, and I don't think I'll go back to normal lenses anymore. Can't speak for other brands, but the two pairs from julbo I have used have been flawless apart from a slight glare that appears in certain lights indoors. But no issues outside. I'm currently using the Julbo Rush, and I'm going to get another slightly smaller model at some point. https://www.julbo.com/...#216=99&318=5241

I do a as much xc skiing as the current climate allows, and they have been gamechanging. It's almost always dark when I leave of come back, and photochromic lenses make it possible to leave them on at all times. They change colour really quickly, and this has never been an issue. I thought it would be a problem for mtb riding, but so far no issues.

I never ride without glasses, and for me these just work. They are expensive and I guess they don't work for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Definitely work.
I've been using a pair of Rudy Project photochromic glasses (Rydon II) for what must be heading towards 15 years (certainly over 10) . They're a clear lens when its night time, and pretty dark when daytime.
I use them a lot for mountain biking as I can be in and out of sun/shade a lot. These ones go clear enough to use on night rides too (not quite as clear as a purely clear lens, but still OK).

I've also been using some 'Sunwise' brand rimless glasses for the road bike + TT for the last about 18 months. They go clear/dark enough on daytime rides, and have a mirrored finish. Not light enough though when it's that last 20 or 30 mins before its fully night.

Only problem I occasionally get is that if I'm riding in cloud / mist or when snowing (that all happens on mountain biking for me!) then sometimes they are dark even though its not actually sunny - they just get fooled by the whiteness of the mist.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Sep 26, 20 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: do photochromatic lenses work? [jpanula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$499? 😁
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no those are some new smart thingys. You can get these for just 210 euros :D (pink, this hobby is so stupidly expensive at times)
Last edited by: jpanula: Sep 26, 20 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the usage wether they work or not. They take a while to adjust, so riding through short tunnels Can be scary. For Dark weather mine are good, But full sun on a summer day they’re not quite Dark enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had Rudy project photochromatic lenses and they were excellent. I actually just tried to order another set of Rudy’s, but I was an idiot and bought them from an Instagram ad. The glasses I received were fakes, the wrong model, and didn’t come with photochromatic lenses. Joke’s on me.

Thé tifosi ones are ok. Not as good as the Rudy’s in my opinion.

I saw some body with the roka ones a few weeks ago. I usually love roka products, but those photochromatic lenses didn’t look great to me. They barely looked dark at all.

A friend of mine got the 100% photochromatic. He told me they aren’t as good as his Rudy’s either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had two pairs of Tifosi photochromatics, they were both < $100 and worked great. I don't think they have the sun-blocking oomph of actual dedicated shades but they work well enough in most conditions and I like the flexibility. On a ride where it's really bright / clear and I know I'm going to be riding into the sun on shaky roads I might use something else.

More expensive brands also may not have these issues, I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on the rudy project glasses. Been great for me for years
Quote Reply
Re: do photochromatic lenses work? [jpanula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to bring up Julbo. Got my first pair at Outerbike in 2016.

They work great going from tree shaded trail to open fields when mountain biking.

I also use them when riding at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they do. I have some Oakley prescription sunnies that are great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another upvote for the Tifosi from a cost/benefit POV. They don't get super dark in full sun, but I find them dark enough. They are not quite water clear in the dark, but they are light enough to be fine. The transition is pretty rapid. As another poster mentioned, maybe a couple of minutes from full dark to full light. These won't help if you're riding through bright sunlight with short stretches of dark shade. But the transition is more rapid than it sounds - I'd be t that you get 50% of the change in 20-30 seconds, so the photochromatic effect is pretty good, even going from dark shade to bright light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Oakley photochromic's. They are my go to glass on variable weather days or if I ride when the sun is down and I need eye protection.
I have used them even on extremely bright and sunny days and they're still pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: do photochromatic lenses work? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Tifosi glasses are readers and I've driven in the dark with them on several occasions.
Quote Reply
Re: do photochromatic lenses work? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got some Oakley's a few months ago and they're great. The clear is completely clear, and the dark is dark enough that you can't see my eyes. I guess it depends on the brand and the cost. The real benefit for me is that I need prescription glasses full time so only have one pair of cycling glasses that covers me for all conditions. For example I ride to work in daylight but often ride home in the dark so don't need to carry around 2 pairs of glasses with different tints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming by "do they work" you mean do they lighten and darken to change the amount of light passing through. Yes. It's not instant. Going into something dark like a rails to trails tunnel is similar to leaving your regular sunglasses on for 30 seconds or so. It's enough range that I have ever needed more lens on a sunny day and I keep them on after the sun has gone down.

The best pair I have used is the Smith Reverb. Not all are created equal though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of Optic Nerve photochromatic glasses last year. I wanted something for early morning and also frameless. I love them.

I like that even at the darkest, drivers can still see my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a pair of Tifosi with the photo chromatic lenses and they work great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
looking for bike glasses that are a bit lighter for darker weather, rain, evenings but still help avoiding eye contact and when the setting sun gets in your eye etc. I used to have mountain bike glasses called bolle snake eyes - almost clear/pale green lens with mirror layer but they dont make those any more.

adidas vario (Aero/Evil eye) glasses look interesting but a bit pricey - they promise to go from almost claer to tinted - do photochromatic lenses do what you hope or are they always a bit too dark to be handy? I see they dont have vents and a sweat bumper which blocks the airflow a bit - does that mean they fog up easily?

are there other brands that work?

Yes, another vote for Tifosi. I use the following, they are inexpensive and they also have a rimless design. Keep in mind Tifosi calls the photochromatic feature these days Fototec. As others have said, they don't get super dark but are perfect for me as someone who oftens bikes to the pool early evening and the bikes home in the dark when there are plenty of bugs etc I am trying to block out and need something clear.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply