Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim
Quote | Reply
https://nyadfactcheck.com/

the ultra world has some hardcore folk when it comes to legitimizing certain attempts (as you can see in IC 100/100 thread). This guy went all out making a website, and posting all her history of failures. This is a definite monetary loss for him to go that far - agree / disagree ?
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 22, 21 8:51
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=nyad#p4742379

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Made me read that thread but no different than questions brought up by this site.... I'm more impressed by how much money and time this guy spent to out her (site created 2021)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was interesting, thank you for sharing.

That site fits with my general understanding of the sketchy recording / outlier aspects of her Cuba swim. It's a shame.

An interesting comparison to make at the time when James Lawrence is doing his 100/100, but essentially with cheating. It's almost like if Nyad just openly broadcast the way she was allegedly cheating and then just said, 'doesn't matter, my rules, it counts.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't look very expensive to host that site, but was probably very time-consuming. And assuming all of her quotes are sourced, she has no case for libel. To the contrary, the website proves she is a pathological liar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And an update: when I wrote that she was a good swimmer back in the day on that original thread it was because I had heard she had swam at Trials. I am kind of pissed to find out that also was a lie.

I maintain she had an “assisted” 7 hour break. She got in a raft, took a nap and floated with the current. I still chuckle at the idea that 40 hours into an event you are going to go 7.5 hours without eating to stay warm. Like when a person who cheats their way to a 3:15 marathon by running a 34 minutes closing 10 k says they found their 2nd wind. Completely believable to anyone who hasn’t actually done a 3:15 marathon, completely ridiculous to anyone who has. Well unless you I are wearing vaporflys, of course : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As an aside the guy who runs that site raced Ironman in 1980 and finished second in the swim right behind Dave Scott
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
And an update: when I wrote that she was a good swimmer back in the day on that original thread it was because I had heard she had swam at Trials. I am kind of pissed to find out that also was a lie.

I maintain she had an “assisted” 7 hour break. She got in a raft, took a nap and floated with the current. I still chuckle at the idea that 40 hours into an event you are going to go 7.5 hours without eating to stay warm. Like when a person who cheats their way to a 3:15 marathon by running a 34 minutes closing 10 k says they found their 2nd wind. Completely believable to anyone who hasn’t actually done a 3:15 marathon, completely ridiculous to anyone who has. Well unless you are wearing vaporflys, of course : )

Apparently, Steve Munatones has been one of her biggest enablers, which is a very sad commentary on the state of open water swimming since he is the keeper of Openwaterpedia. Hard to believe this guy could be so unethical.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I maintain she had an “assisted” 7 hour break. She got in a raft, took a nap and floated with the current. I still chuckle at the idea that 40 hours into an event you are going to go 7.5 hours without eating to stay warm. Like when a person who cheats their way to a 3:15 marathon by running a 34 minutes closing 10 k says they found their 2nd wind. Completely believable to anyone who hasn’t actually done a 3:15 marathon, completely ridiculous to anyone who has. Well unless you are wearing vaporflys, of course : )

Apparently, Steve Munatones has been one of her biggest enablers, which is a very sad commentary on the state of open water swimming since he is the keeper of Openwaterpedia. Hard to believe this guy could be so unethical.

Once they slide/get talked into something that ‘Big’, they think they just have too much to lose. Not uncommon.

And who cares. She was/is just doing her own thing, not clubbing seal babies or killing someone....right?
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't 'Nyad' a water nymph in greek mythology?
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [Yrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yrocket wrote:

That site fits with my general understanding of the sketchy recording / outlier aspects of her Cuba swim. It's a shame.

An interesting comparison to make at the time when James Lawrence is doing his 100/100, but essentially with cheating. It's almost like if Nyad just openly broadcast the way she was allegedly cheating and then just said, 'doesn't matter, my rules, it counts.'

Out of the loop, and sorry to derail, but have there been any mishaps yet. Any elliptical usage?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

the ultra world has some hardcore folk when it comes to legitimizing certain attempts (as you can see in IC 100/100 thread). This guy went all out making a website, and posting all her history of failures. This is a definite monetary loss for him to go that far - agree / disagree ?

Long MSF thread on this very topic. When I was laid up from shoulder surgeries, it provided me with many good hours of reading and entertainment.

https://forum.marathonswimmers.org/discussion/606/

also, loneswimmers part 1 of 5 analysis

https://loneswimmer.com/2013/09/27/the-diana-nyad-controversy-a-personal-reflection-part-1-some-history/

Edit: I used to believe she did it, but now, I am a doubter. Again, if she had said "I'm only using the jellyfish suit and mask" and completed the swim, I'd be onboard. But she didn't, and by all analysis, she received outside help and assistance during the swim, and has enough untrustworthy people on her team (and the judges) to make me doubt the "facts."

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Last edited by: boobooaboo: Mar 24, 21 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Yrocket wrote:

Out of the loop, and sorry to derail, but have there been any mishaps yet. Any elliptical usage?

Haha Thomas if you’re on a recovery day there’s a 30ish page thread documenting his misadventures. Having learned his lesson from the poor style documented in the 50/50, the IronCowboy is exercising by swimming in a pool and standing between 100s, drafting heavily on the bike by design, and apparently regularly using IV hydration.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
Isn't 'Nyad' a water nymph in greek mythology?

usually spelled naiads, yes.. nymphs of the smaller fresh waters, springs, brooks etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

If this is not ridiculous enough, please read Susan Simmon's JdF crossing - the direct opposite which is to delegitmizing an attempt:

https://susansimmons.ca/my-truth-about-my-swim-across-juan-de-fuca/

Those folk went to the extent that they called her "bandit" when the "legitimate" organisation refused to ratify her swim and she chose another organisation to ratify it, using the same rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very interesting and a fun read. thanks for killing an hour of my day. I wonder if she was taking appearance fees at swim team banquets based on her self-proclaimed "best of" and "greatest ever" titles?

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
synthetic wrote:

If this is not ridiculous enough, please read Susan Simmon's JdF crossing - the direct opposite which is to delegitmizing an attempt:
Those folk went to the extent that they called her "bandit" when the "legitimate" organisation refused to ratify her swim and she chose another organisation to ratify it, using the same rules.

This Susan Simmons story sounds like the exact opposite of Nyad's story as Simmons had multiple people monitoring her swim, but yet for some reason the official OW org refused to sanction her swim. It *appears* to me that acceptance or rejection in the OW swimming world is subject to the whims of a few people operating their web sites. Sounds like a nightmarish scenario: you swim your heart out for 10 hrs in 10* C (50* F) water without a wetsuit, and a week or two later the OW folks say nah, not valid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
miklcct wrote:
synthetic wrote:

This Susan Simmons story sounds like the exact opposite of Nyad's story as Simmons had multiple people monitoring her swim, but yet for some reason the official OW org refused to sanction her swim. It *appears* to me that acceptance or rejection in the OW swimming world is subject to the whims of a few people operating their web sites. Sounds like a nightmarish scenario: you swim your heart out for 10 hrs in 10* C (50* F) water without a wetsuit, and a week or two later the OW folks say nah, not valid.

Good thing coming out of that Nyad scandal may be that those encrusted structures (aka, the has-been swimmers club) may get exposed and changed.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry S. wrote:
very interesting and a fun read. thanks for killing an hour of my day. I wonder if she was taking appearance fees at swim team banquets based on her self-proclaimed "best of" and "greatest ever" titles?
That would be a nice class action lawsuit to see
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Long MSF thread on this very topic. When I was laid up from shoulder surgeries, it provided me with many good hours of reading and entertainment.

https://forum.marathonswimmers.org/discussion/606/

also, loneswimmers part 1 of 5 analysis

https://loneswimmer.com/2013/09/27/the-diana-nyad-controversy-a-personal-reflection-part-1-some-history/

Edit: I used to believe she did it, but now, I am a doubter. Again, if she had said "I'm only using the jellyfish suit and mask" and completed the swim, I'd be onboard. But she didn't, and by all analysis, she received outside help and assistance during the swim, and has enough untrustworthy people on her team (and the judges) to make me doubt the "facts."

Wow that loneswimmers blog was very interesting. I recall her various attempts but was not aware of the controversy and suspected deceptions. This is changing my opinion on the iron cowboy 100/100. Just posted on that thread that it’s just entertainment, but seeing how Nyad and her team played with two sets of ‘rules’ (one saying that they weren’t following established rules, then publicly pretending that they were), makes me think that IC may try to legitimize his endeavor. He has a great 100 day wicked training schedule, claiming anything else could be troublesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting timing on your post. A movie of Nyad’s endeavors is being planned.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Interesting timing on your post. A movie of Nyad’s endeavors is being planned.

Damn, this is a pretty sad commentary when Nyad can have a "bestselling memoir" and get a movie made about her, when it seems fairly clear that she cheated her way to finish that swim. Very, very sad commentary on the state of morals in our society.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with and/or associated with a lot of marathon and channel swimmers. Many are writing letters to the studio, Ms. Benning, and the producers, pointing them to the fact check website hoping they’ll reconsider.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MSABC has a relationship with Swim BC & Swim Canada. I would consider them infinitly more legitimate.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: discredit of Nyad FL - Cuba swim [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I swim with and/or associated with a lot of marathon and channel swimmers. Many are writing letters to the studio, Ms. Benning, and the producers, pointing them to the fact check website hoping they’ll reconsider.

Outstanding!!! This is exactly what needs to be done!!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next