Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

disc wheel advantage
Quote | Reply
I've been told that on a flat course like Florida I could shave 20 mins off my IM bike time(6-6:30) by swapping my rear kysrium for a disc.

Is this about right?
Quote Reply
Re: disc wheel advantage [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 20min is a bit much, but it is a faster wheel than a kysrium. Use the disk but bring the kysrium just in case of a hurricane.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 minutes could be achieved by good bike training and a Renn disc wheel. Since you have a perfectly capable pair of wheels, the addition of a Renn disc would not set you back much (under $350), and give you a wheelset that will take you anywhere to any race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I notice a big difference when I put on my disc...about 3-4mph average for sprint tri's. The course is flat, very flat! There are only a few rolling "false flat" hills so my disc will be on...unless a tropical storm drops in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another advantage of the disc wheel is that advertising messages for your sponsors is easier to put on the disc than on spokes ;)

I like my Renn disc, and use it even in the mountains.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a disk and I like it fine. I still have yet to prove to myself that it's faster. Yup it feels quick, especially in strong headwinds, but the results show no drastic improvement. No, I have not done any controlled tests. But I have ridden a few courses (race conditions) both with a disc and without. My times don't reflect that I'm faster on the disc. I still use it. But if you're one of those people who needs to see some actual benefit in order to justify your purchase, I haven't seen the justification in my case.

So to get to the point, 20 min IMHO is BS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My disc experience vs. standard wheel like a (K)syirum is about .5mph on flat/rolling courses. Not 20mins in an IM, but not something to sneeze at either (unless you're allergic).

The roads in IMFLA being okay, put on a good tire, jack it up with as much pressure as possible, let it roll.

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: disc wheel advantage [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks is correct, 20 minutes is not right. MAYBE a minute every 40 km? That would be about 5 minutes over an ironman course....?

IF the disc added .5 mph; it would be about 6 hours to do the course at just over 20 mph, meaning you would reach the finish line about 3 miles ahead of a non-disc rider...at 20 mph, that 3 miles would take 9 minutes ride, so somewhere between 5 and 9 minutes might be about right for a disc benefit over a regular spoked wheel. I'm just talking off the top of my head, I have no personal testing experience except at shorter, faster distances...and, for me, at the shorter, faster (24mph and up) distances, the disc wheel gives noticeable improvements in elapsed times. I don't know how much difference there would be at 20 mph...a fairly good ironman distance speed in my book!

If you have a deeper dished wheel to begin with, or a lessor numbered spoked wheel, the differences would be less.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: disc wheel advantage [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have definitely noticed an increase in speed with my disk. About.5-1 mph. I feel like I'm working harder going up hills but my splits on hilly courses were faster too with the disk. And most important, you make that cool sound at speed.
Quote Reply
Re: disc wheel advantage [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I got my Renn disc I use no other rear wheel for racing. I have also noticed an increase in speed with my disk. On flats I definitely have an advantage and even more on windy courses (not gusty).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply