Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

dave scott video discussing swim kick
Quote | Reply
one thing he says in the video is to concentrate on lifting with hamstrings and glutes. I think that struck a chord with me as when I think kick naturally I'm not thinking lifting. I definitely tend to not kick and as a result my legs sink more than they should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7wwUweROI0
Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a bad way to think about it. And I like his approach to kicking, it's better (IMO) than certain schools of thought who promote the "don't bother kicking, just pull lots and that's all you need" mentality.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fast swimmer or an expert but I don't understand the don't bother kicking approach. Is the assumption of that approach in triathlon that you're always/often wearing a wetsuit so you get that support on lifting your legs or it's just a waste of time? I will say I know in my freestyle I don't have a great kick and often just don't do it. I had a swim instruction tell me "you don't kick much, do you?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some triathletes and triathlon coaches take that approach, yes. I think it's short-sighted (not every race is going to be wetsuit legal).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the assumption of that approach in triathlon that you're always/often wearing a wetsuit so you get that support on lifting your legs or it's just a waste of time?
---

I think the bigger assumption is that triathletes just don't get in many yards. They think that swimming 3x per week at 2500 yards is 'a lot'. Since they're not swimming all that much, triathletes need to maximize what little time they put in the water. Worse, kicking takes a lot of time, compared to swimming and pulling for a shorter return on your investment.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is, for what Dave is talking about it doesn’t take all that much time. He’s not talking about developing an NCAA level kick, just get it to the point that it doesn’t slow you down

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I think the bigger assumption is that triathletes just don't get in many yards. They think that swimming 3x per week at 2500 yards is 'a lot'. Since they're not swimming all that much, triathletes need to maximize what little time they put in the water. Worse, kicking takes a lot of time, compared to swimming and pulling for a shorter return on your investment.

I am not usually a fan of shortcuts but in this instance, providing you have the legs in a decent position, I feel most athletes benefit from spending their few metres a week on the engine that is going to give them them most speed. Most people kick, I just don't think it should be a focus of time or energy.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We’re talking about triathletes. Without a wetsuit, most triathletes don’t have their legs in a decent position.

Again, it doesn’t take a major commitment. Just a few hundred metres / yards per practice. (Eg 4-8 x 50 of decent, focused kicking). Stick it in the practice as your pre-main set.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: dave scott video discussing swim kick [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
We’re talking about triathletes. Without a wetsuit, most triathletes don’t have their legs in a decent position.

Again, it doesn’t take a major commitment. Just a few hundred metres / yards per practice. (Eg 4-8 x 50 of decent, focused kicking). Stick it in the practice as your pre-main set.

What Jason said. Had a swimmer telling me to do 2-5 x 100 each session 2 months ago and from video comparison it is apparent that I create less drag now. I still don't generate much of a propulsion, but getting the legs closer to the surface definitely helps on reducing drag.
Quote Reply