Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cycling shorts--help!!!
Quote | Reply
so i shelled out the bucks (~$80) and got one of the top end pairs of louis garneau cycling shorts. the padding was great compared to the 6 year old used pair I learned to ride in (a friend's, but washed thoroughly!). i bought the LG near the end of last summer and the stitching in the chamois is already coming undone!! the shorts get either hand or machine washed after each ride and air dried. i can't afford to keep shellin' out the bucks like this, so i'm looking for opinions on "best bang for your buck" shorts. also, nashbar's high-end offering is only 40 bucks--are they really only half as "good" as the LG's? for reference, i ride 2-4 times a week, avg ~ 100-120miles/wk. thanks for your opinions!
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [whineyass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our team uniforms are made by Sugoi and the pad in them is a sonically welded, molded, seamless thingy. The Technofine fabric is fantastic. I'm pretty impressed by these.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That should noughta oughta happened to a pair of LGs...especially not in less than a year. I'd be inclined to write them an email or something letting them know they are your favourite shorts and you can't possibly live without them. See what they have to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience is that Cannondale makes excellent, comfortable and durable shorts. I've been using the same 2 pairs of bibs for about 5 years. Same with Voler.

Nike are perhaps comfortable, but are not as durable due to the thinner lycra, which seems to be typical of Italian made shorts. Right now I'm using Hincapie shorts as well, they are quite comfy, but its too early to tell how they'll hold up.

Also, buy a couple of pairs of shorts, that way you won't be stuck without a clean pair. Oh yeah, go with bibshorts rather than regular shorts. They are definitely worth the extra cash.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nods in agreement...biiiiibshorrrrts. Didn't think they were such a big deal until I bought a pair..now they're all I buy. Totally worth the money
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
also, nashbar's high-end offering is only 40 bucks--are they really only half as "good" as the LG's?

Those Nashbars are good shorts. I have also had nice experience with mid-range Pearl Izumi shorts (under $50).

I have a fancy pair of Castelli Progetto bibs that I only take out on the really long rides. My day-to-days are the Pearl Izumis, and I threw out an older pair last fall that were about 4 years old and had seen many, many miles.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first cycling shorts were a high end Pearl Izumi shorts. They are not suitable for outdoors riding after only about 1k miles in them, although riding outdoors in these shorts would keep Mr. Happy nice and cool.

My favorite shorts are Sugoi tri shorts, so far about 5k miles in them and I could pass them off as brand new. They have minimal padding and are nice and short in the legs. What's with "shorts" that go down to your knees?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you find anything out from LG about the chamois, let me know...

I've had three pairs of LG tri shorts with problems with the chamois coming unstitched at the back... others have had similar problems.

why three? you may ask... team shorts - no chance to shop around for the best quality... >:0

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've recently (last 3-4 months) returned four pairs of Nashbar shorts, from top to bottom price points. All were junk, with stitching coming out of the chamois after only 4-5 hours on the trainer. I even tried the stupid gel chamois. No exposed stitches in that chamois, but the gel did indeed escape the packet and squish through the lycra at the very back/top of the pad, after only 3 sessions (5-6 hours total) on the trainer. All these shorts were hand washed and drip dried, never even wrung out.

My wife has a couple pairs of Pearl Izumis that have seen a few thousand miles and several years of wear, including machine washing.

I've replaced those crappy Nashbar shorts with Pearl Izumi and Nalini shorts and bibs from Demerly's shop. These things will obviously last a long, long time.

-Zo
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [Zo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll acknowledge that my experience with Nashbar dates back a few years, before Performance took over. Sorry to hear they've let the quality slide.
Quote Reply
Re: cycling shorts--help!!! [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i told the guy at my LBS about the problem (i bought them there) and he said to bring them in and he'll send them back in. i was really surprised he was willing to do all that, but he says it's no problem. he said this does happen from time to time. so, i'm going to drop them off today and see what happens. LG will probably write back and say "this little SH*T cut these stitches himself!" and i'll be banned from the store, but a free replacement would be sweet (i'm not holding my breath).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our cycling club and tri club both use LG uniforms and the few times we had a problem, they worked with us. Of course, we deal directly with LG to screen the shorts, jerseys trisuits, etc, but I can't imagine they would give you a problem.

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Quote Reply