Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

custom road bike builder
Quote | Reply
All this talk about funky gearing, etc., has me pretty turned on to a custom build where I'll have the opportunity to do more of my own speccing (without paying for everything twice). Can anyone recommend a custom builder of road bike frames, maybe sort of like Mandaric, but with a road geometry leaning?
Quote Reply
Re: custom road bike builder [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Custom carbon frames - Calfee Design (not cheap...)

http://www.calfeedesign.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends what you want, mr mike. for an insanely cheaper no frills build, with as much input as you wish along with great experience try curtlo. for a more swanky high end finish and end product with the same sort of choice/guidance ratio with regard to geometry try strong cycles. for a true legend type build with less input and more of the trust in the builder look at steelman. others that are amix of the above, and all cool might include soulcraft, sycip, IF, kelly cycles, waterford/gunnar. so many more, too. it is a golden age for these sweet builders, makes a fellow wonder why in the world so many ride cookie cutter me too whatevers ...........................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.ifbikes.com/

check this out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Umm. You know Mandaric bicycles are as roadie as you can get. He also builds tri bikes under the Yaqui name, but he was building road bikes long before the tri bikes.

Quality is excellent, service is excellent, and his kit prices are really good - he can get you pretty much anything you want.

www.mandaric.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're into original paint jobs try:

http://www.landsharkbicycles.com/

My frame is almost 10 years old and people still come up to me and compliment the paint job.
Quote Reply
Re: custom road bike builder [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I actually didn't realize that. The Yacqui gets a decent amount of play on this site, but I wasn't aware of the road geometry options.
Quote Reply
Re: custom road bike builder [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. My next road frame will undoubtedly be a Mandaric.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
two year waiting list but if you want excellence and tradition and can afford it http://www.richardsachs.com/rsachs2.html
Quote Reply
Re: custom road bike builder [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, OK sure. Sachs is one hell of a bike. I've been thinking of knocking off my boss and taking his.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike,

A Custom bike should be just that, don't go based on someone frame geometry. Russ Denny is probably one of the best around and in the Temecula area so you can get it done relatively quick. I have some pics of some bikes that I've had done for some of my customers that I can send you? Let me know. Aluminum with carbon fork and carbon seat stay's and what ever angles we feel best fit you. I've been a Professional Mechanic and have fit many top Pro cyclist when with Mercury Cycling Team. Email me or I can send you more information, but do it right and ask people who know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a Calfee Luna Road bike and a Calfee Luna Tri bike. I did not go custom because I felt the stock specs worked perfect for me. They are a really good group of people to work with. The product I feel is very nicely finished and the ride quality on both bikes are second to none. They can build a complete custom bike or they can add Head tube and or seat tube extensions to their stock sizes which less expensive than going the complete custom route. They are not cheap and they take between 5-6 weeks to get, however I feel that frames I purchased are worth it. I felt so strongly about this I put 10 other people onto these bikes, all of them are extremly pleased with the fit, and the overall beauty of the Calfee product.

I also own a custom Seven Odanata Road Frame, I prefer the Calfee Luna.
Quote Reply
Re: custom road bike builder [DanPlummer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Russ Denny recommendation. I've got one and I love it. Russ is one of the best (if not the best) custom aluminum framebuilders.

Strong, Cramerotti, and Teesdale also have good custom and semi-custom options.

Mooney, Sachs, Bayliss, Don Ferris (Anvil), etc. are all great bikes but they only do steel, they cost a lot more, and the waiting list can be quite long.
Quote Reply