Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

crying about my FR920XT's bad behavior
Quote | Reply
FR920XT powered up fine, found GPS, ready for an outside run. Then, black box pops up when I try to start recording: 'memory full'. Hmmm...Back inside, grabbed my Amazfit Bip S (haha, a type of a joke vs. Garmin, but maybe really not), got a GPS fix and ran. Came home and turned off the 920XT. Turned it back on to see if a 'reboot' would fix things. Took a long time to move from the 'Garmin' logo screen to the watch screen. Hmmm...my CIQ watchface doesn't show – I get the Garmin default watch screen. I pretend to run and – no 'memory full' message. Then, look at history...there is none. I've been here before, unfortunately. Connected by wire to Garmin Express. Syncs, all fine. Let's look at the CIQ on the device. GE says: 1. disconnect watch from computer, 2. follow instructions on watch, 3. reconnect. Allllright... When the 920XT disconnects, I get a message about installing an update. Allllright...what sort of update is Garmin pushing to this device? A few minutes later, update done and back to the default Garmin watchface. Reconnect to GE...and...there are no CIQ on the watch. In fact...everything is gone – ACTIVITIES folder is empty. Essentially a factory reboot.

Yup, more-or-less the same thing happened last December. So, I know what to do – factory reset and restore everything from a backup (not the activities, though). One step closer to a new Coros, I guess...

Really just griping about the well known inability of Garmin to provide robust firmware for their expensive devices. Why tell me that the storage is full? The device has figured that part out, so ... fix it! Enormously frustrating to re-establish all of my preferred screens on multiple sports (no way to do this on the mobile app, of course, that might be saved as a backup). Really, kind of a sh!tshow...
Quote Reply
Re: crying about my FR920XT's bad behavior [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gripping about 6yr old tech...

This is equivalent to someone complaining that their iPhone 6 doesn't last as long as it used to
Quote Reply
Re: crying about my FR920XT's bad behavior [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purchased near the end of the 920xt life cycle. 4 y/o. It did the same thing last year. 3 y/o. Listen, the inability to manage internal files / capacity has no 'age of the tech bounds'. Either it does or it does not. Mine does not. Terrible, unforgivable programming. It basically said, 'I'm warning you that your file space is low, but I'm not going to do anything about it'. A reboot resets to factory specs. When that happens to your 945 in a couple of years, you will understand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
Terrible, unforgivable programming. It basically said, 'I'm warning you that your file space is low, but I'm not going to do anything about it'. A reboot resets to factory specs.

So it's telling you that it's storage is full so if you haven't synced you'll need to otherwise lose data? If it goes an deletes the data then what? You'd be annoyed that you didn't have a chance to sync the data before it got delete?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s your proposed solution? Auto-delete files. No thanks.

Every device you own has storage limits. Simply deleting old runs/rides would solve this for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sending (((healing vibes)))
Quote Reply
Re: crying about my FR920XT's bad behavior [gromaton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Syncs after every workout. Everything is in Garmin Connect. Still, the device can't manage the files on the device and sh!is the bed when its full, asking the user to 'help'. Bad programming on an expensive device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the FR945 owner's manual (I think that all Garmin devices are the same): NOTE: When the device memory is full, your oldest data is overwritten.

So, yeah, the expected behavior is that your oldest activity files are (functionally) deleted when the memory is full. My gripe is that the response to 'memory full' in my case was a factory reset. How is that defendable? All activity files gone. All custom sport profiles and customized display pages gone. All CIQ gone. And so on...

When I restarted, the first page asked if I wanted English to be the language and when it first connected to Garmin Connect after the reset, GC congratulated me on my new 920XT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry. In 2 years time the 945 will have had to have been repaired for a knackered barometer a couple of times and the memory emptied by Garmin in the process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

This is equivalent to someone complaining that their iPhone 6 doesn't last as long as it used to

It's really not the same thing. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that these, fairly expensive, pieces of tech be functional for more than 5 years. I despise any sort of planned obsolescence.

I'm using a 910xt and it works well, mostly. Sometimes it craps out in the middle of a file transfer, but that's just merely annoying and I've mostly solved that by changing the power-save settings. (it's not smart enough to not power down in the middle of a file transfer).

Why can't they make firmware updates for older devices? Hell, I'd even pay a "maintenance fee" for that, say 3 years of firmware updates included in the device and then an annual $15 or $20 fee for ongoing support.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

Nothing wrong with 6 year old tech, or rather there shouldn't be anything wrong with 6 year old tech.
Your comment really just highlights that you've been conned into accepting you should keep replacing very specific types of electronics on a regular basis, without questioning why. Can you tell us why you think it's reasonable to expect this?
Electronic devices do not inherently have such short lifespans. Batteries have limited cycles before performance deteriorates significantly, but batteries are relatively cheap and the only reason their deterioration in small electronic devices is a major issue is because it's profitable that way. I have a nearly 5 year old 920XT and have no intention of replacing it unless it fails. I won't be surprised if it does, but that's not the way it should be, nor should I be mocked for complaining about it.

The OP doesn't deserve to be mocked either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

How's the bottom of that corporate boot taste? Nothing lasts forever, but you should still expect your six year old electronics to work properly unless there was a hardware failure
Quote Reply
Re: crying about my FR920XT's bad behavior [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t say I’m happy about it.

I’ve just made it past denial/anger and moved on to acceptance. You can complain all you want about how tech should lash forever, but it’s simply not reality
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Didn’t say I’m happy about it.

I’ve just made it past denial/anger and moved on to acceptance. You can complain all you want about how tech should lash forever, but it’s simply not reality
You seem to be trying to portray this as a virtue!

Acceptance of fraud is not a good thing. Selling an intentionally short lived item so you can sell it again later is essentially fraud. The typically short lifespan of some electronics is not a quality issue, but rather a carefully planned design feature. I'm mostly referring to phones here. Reality can change, but it never will if we all follow your lead.
Quote Reply