Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
critique my position
Quote | Reply
hi all.
i got my first TRI BIKE the trek speed concept about a month ago from my LBS. unfortunately they aren't the best people for fitting or dealing with overall... the stock that came with my bike made me sit upward like a kite in the air giving me MAX resistance and the fitter told me that this is what i am meant to sit like... i'm not that stupid buddy, this is not aero at all nor is it comfortable.
i switched to a low-far stem and a 15mm spacer under the aerobars to get down low. i think i need longer aerobar extensions and will take care of that if i do.
however, i am not getting a pelvic rotation and cant sit in aero for more then an hour without getting some numbness.
if anyone has any input, critisizm or comments please throw it at me it's appreciated. it's my first tri bike so im also taking into account getting used to a new position.
Last edited by: Mkraz: May 22, 18 4:53
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Mkraz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a picture?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes trying to upload them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check them out. i wasnt able to post video...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find the right seat that will allow you the pelvic rotation you need and then ask to be critiqued...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never ride that head-down position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a good start IMHO. You can try to tweak a few mm here an there to see what feels better to you. Riding in the position for anticipated race distances is important. Meaning you could look more aero in the photos, but at a 1/2 IM distance your back could be screaming and not be able to generate good power.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Why not?

Safety

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Splat.
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well yeah I know that, I though maybe Grill had tested head down to be slower or something...
fwiw my head is pretty far down, close to the op but I look up a bit every now and then. Maybe can see 15m ahead of me at all times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 15m?
Let's hope you're really slow then. Otherwise sooner or later....
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t really see what the issue is as long as I look up every now and then to check the road. Especially in races it’s easy to just put the head down and grind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Don’t really see what the issue is as long as I look up every now and then to check the road. Especially in races it’s easy to just put the head down and grind.

This is exactly the mentality that causes injury. WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s attitudes like this that make me despair for the future of the human race
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Find the right seat that will allow you the pelvic rotation you need and then ask to be critiqued...

This is the place to start. Can’t tell what saddle that is, maybe Arione? If your LBS is as bad as it sounds, maybe the safe option is an ISM?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the hilo saddle that came with the bike. Do you recommend trying the ISM? Which model?
Yes the shop that I got it from is cocky...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hilo is at least "functional" in the sense that it's at least designed for TT use. You might play with it a bit more, see if you can rotate your pelvis and "lay down" on the top tube a bit. But if the pain/pressure is just too much, then it's not a good match.
Slowman put up this article a while ago. The PR 2.0 is where alot of folks land, so knowing nothing else this is a decent starting point. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but maybe easy to resell if you hate it. You do have to fiddle with the fore/aft and tilt to find that goldilocks position, but that's true of all saddles. And since you have the Hilo, you can start to know what is better/worse than before and start to home in on your target. My $.02. Good luck -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Well yeah I know that, I though maybe Grill had tested head down to be slower or something...
fwiw my head is pretty far down, close to the op but I look up a bit every now and then. Maybe can see 15m ahead of me at all times.

at 40km that gives you 1.35 seconds to react to and avoid an unexpected obstacle. From the aero position, where you don't have quick access to brakes.

Yeah, you're right. There's no issue there. I can't see anything bad happening, ever.....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
oscaro wrote:

at 40km that gives you 1.35 seconds to react to and avoid an unexpected obstacle. From the aero position, where you don't have quick access to brakes.

Yeah, you're right. There's no issue there. I can't see anything bad happening, ever.....

I'm trying to find that thread from a few years ago where some guy was riding head down, thinking he was still able to pay attention to shit, and hit one of those Ironman mile marker signs and almost killed himself.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Never ride that head-down position.

I ride with my head down in all of my 20k and 40k ITT's … just lift it about every 5-10 seconds to look for obstacles and riders coming up. Never had an issue or close call, actually seem to hit fewer holes with my head down than up funny enough.

Use the lines on the road to keep yourself positioned in a straight line and to keep from riding off the road.

If it's curvy or I'm on a downhill, I'll keep my head up due to the faster speeds … but at 32mph and less, never had an issue.

Granted … it's not for everybody, for some of us it works well. Generally results in an increase of about .5 mph on a flat straight road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
https://instagram.com/p/BjIJGWxAOmc/

WD :-)

that's amazing
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [Wookiebiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what kind of helmet do you use? do you have a pic of your position?
Quote Reply
Re: critique my position [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the giro aero TT
Quote Reply

Prev Next