Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh?
Quote | Reply
I have continental gp4000sii. Considering picking up the gp5000. according to continental the puncture resistance is better on the gp5000s. But bicyclerollingresistance.com says the opposite. I'm wondering if anybody here is running gp5000 and had any more frequent punctures than the gp4000sii?
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running them on road and TT bike for several months, tubeless for both. to date, no punctures. maybe about 1000 miles so far. my road surfaces are pretty good but some glass and brambles now and again. previously, was running Schwalbe pro 1s and had several small punctures that all sealed up ok. so the 5K seem more resistant but small sample size. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to jinx it, but... very happy with my switch to 5000TL from Pro One Tubeless (V1.0), at least until data are released re: the Pro One TLE.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Aug 30, 19 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far so good. Gone through broken glass, potholes, etc. No flats. Only a few thousand miles though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they truly improved on the GP4000sii I'd be impressed. I've been running those for years without a puncture. I probably just jinxed it though.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I’ve had good luck with the gp4000s ii. I’m just eeking our my marginal gains. :) latex tubes. New tires (maybe) etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moved over from 4000s which have been really good to me so i was hesitant as well. Probs 1000 miles on them in all weather and good Irish roads.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [seanmcl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent. I’ll probably give them a go as I’ve got a month to my race so I’ll see how they do. It’ll give me some confidence if there are no issues
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BRR rates the 5000 one point less out of 12: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...grand-prix-5000-2018

This is a small sample size, so not high confidence.

Continental claims the 5000 is better. They certainly have access to a huge body of data and sure, may be outright lying.

Cmon, they are almost certainly functionally identical.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
So far so good. Gone through broken glass, potholes, etc. No flats. Only a few thousand miles though.
Same here - zero flats so far, but I'm curious based on the mileage if you're talking about the 5000TL? (I know you like tubeless.) On the regular GP5000, the biggest thing I have to report is very low wear life. I can't get more than 1500 miles (rear) before so much casing is showing that it's clearly unsafe. Don't think I've ever run a regular road racing tire that wore so fast.

I have less experience with the TLs as I have them mounted on a set of race wheels that I only use in races with rough roads and/or gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got just under 1,800 miles on mine (clincher, non-tubeless) without any issues or signs of significant wear.

--- knock on wood ---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only got about 700 miles on my 25mm 5000TL tires. Zero punctures and zero apparent wear. I have inadvertently ridden though broken glass a couple times without issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running them on my TT bike (butyl tube 😂) and road bike tubeless. So far this year done about 1000 miles racing TT and 5000miles road bike. Zero punctures.

Last year used conti TT and gp4000. 2 punctures TT bike and 4 on road bike.

Not exactly a blind test but good enough for me. The tyres also feel softer, especially the change from TT to 5000 on the race rig.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't you be on Gatorskins?

Mario S wrote:
Running them on my TT bike (butyl tube 😂) and road bike tubeless. So far this year done about 1000 miles racing TT and 5000miles road bike. Zero punctures.

Last year used conti TT and gp4000. 2 punctures TT bike and 4 on road bike.

Not exactly a blind test but good enough for me. The tyres also feel softer, especially the change from TT to 5000 on the race rig.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Shouldn't you be on Gatorskins?

]

Shouldn't you be at home watching Sesame Street ?
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, TL. Some signs of wear, but still plenty of life.
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I've got just under 1,800 miles on mine (clincher, non-tubeless) without any issues or signs of significant wear.

--- knock on wood ---
My rear GP5000 after 1700 miles. Needless to say, I won't ride one this far again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been running GP5000 TL since April and tires look really solid, think no wear at all is shown, seems those could last for a very long time. Punctures are definitely not a concern I have with these ones. Also those are very fast ones according to BRR.

The only cons I can think of are that those are very hard to install in some wheels and also weight.
Both of those items are supposed to be a big improvement in the new Schwalbe pro one TT, but we don't know yet if it will be with the trade-off of having less puncture protection than the 5000TL.
Have seen several comments of people not having good luck in regards to punctures with the schwalbe pro ones current version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's no bueno. Thankfully mine still look very good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you been using them on the trainer? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
logella wrote:

--- knock on wood ---
My rear GP5000 after 1700 miles. Needless to say, I won't ride one this far again.

Serious Q - has that been used on a turbo quite a lot?
Quote Reply
Re: continental gp5000 puncture resistance. good, bad, meh? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
lanierb wrote:
logella wrote:

--- knock on wood ---

Serious Q - has that been used on a turbo quite a lot?

Not once. That's 100% normal outdoor riding on pretty run of the mill standard roads.

Edit: and I may as well add that I'm 180lbs so that seems pretty normal too.
Last edited by: lanierb: Aug 30, 19 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That almost looks like dry-rot and given how “fresh” the non-cracked parts of your tread are I’m inclined to believe your tire wasn’t vulcanized properly / you got a bad tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approx 3000mi on 28mm tubeless with zero punctures. At this point they were worn down to the two indicator holes.

Anecdotally I would have 1-3 punctures on non-TL 28mm GP 4000sII over the same distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly got a bad tire...

PS : you also mounted it backwards
Quote Reply

Prev Next