Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

concussions
Quote | Reply
hi guys! new user here. just wanted to see if any of you have ever gotten a concussion before- from tri or unrelated. when i was in high school i did competitive tris and got smashed in the bike bit of a sprint tri (got cut off by the pack and just ate it). wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and would love to chat about it. i am doing concussion research now and anyone's story is much appreciated.

ETA: realized that this is super vauge. to clarify, i am in fact doing actual research on concussion prevention (at TeachAids, a nonprofit that works with the NCAA and the US Olympic Committee). I'm working to find people who have had concussions to create a Google-like search engine for their experiences to be used as a resource. In effect, this is a real thing and something that we've been working on for a while (shooting for 1000 videos, already have a lot). concussion education is really important to me, just thought id be more clear about the mission!
Last edited by: concussed123: Jun 19, 19 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [concussed123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From football, baseball, skateboarding, skimboarding, and cycling, I've had multiple concussions. One so bad that I had a seizure and was airlifted to the hospital.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to talk. PM me with your questions.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had 3 concussions in last 9 years. A bad one from snowboarding 9 years ago, a less bad one from surfing 2 years ago, and most recent from hitting head on car boot. I think I've had undiagnosed concussions previously from rugby also at uni and school.

Had my last concussion around 2 months ago and still recovering. Am on reduced work hours and just starting to get back into exercise.

Happy to discuss this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive had several, spent 18 years on jump status when I was in the Army so really can't say how many times my bell was rung and have a couple blast injuries from pressure as well of debris. crashed in a race and cracked a helmet up..feel free to PM me, ill help out if I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over half a dozen... Most recently, when you by a car on a run.

PM me if you want details
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably concussion from playing Ultimate.

Layed out for the disc, hit my head, kind of greyed out, but I don't think I lost consciousness. Got to the sideline and I didn't know where I was. Slowly over the next hour or so, my memory came back. I figured out where I was, figured out how I got to Salt Lake City, and where I was staying that night. Sat out for a couple of games. Played the final game that evening, went out drinking, and played all games the next day.

Stupid, and I don't even have youth to blame it on, I was 33 when it happened.
Last edited by: bufordt: Jun 17, 19 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez I can think back to ice hockey games I don't remember finishing... Only 2 diagnosed but I'm confident in at least 5. Not since my really 20s though when I played Juniors.

Maybe a minor one a couple years so in a tournament. The classic wobbly legs thing after getting a shoulder to the head. Saw black then stars for about 20 seconds. Minor one though if at all.

Mid thirties now and getting along well. Would love to help, I've donated lots to promote safety in youth sports so I'm guessing any research into the effects can either lead to our inspire better prevention.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My neurologist recommended strongly that I don't do contact sports anymore. I figured skated as a kid and probably had concussions. I was in a bad accident in a bike race in 2008 going head first like superman into a metal street sign. Playing soccer 2 years ago I got another concussion. I also have a bunch of white lesions on my brain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not what is traditionally called a "concussion" but current research puts it all on a sliding scale: traumatic brain injury resulting from me (on the bike) t-boning a Toyota Siena and ending up in his passenger seat. Subdural hematoma, frontal cortex issues. This was almost 8 years ago and has changed my life completely. I'm definitely not the same but I'm still riding and racing.

See my posting history since Sept 2011, both here and the Lavender Room, but always willing to chat.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've posted about this before, and talked offline with some of you at length

Concussions are nothing to fuck around with

Oh yeah, back in the "old days" a hard-ass couch would just say "walk it off" and send someone back in as soon as they were no longer seeing stars, but that bullshit is long gone now [or should be]

I've suffered seven concussions* in my lifetime [so far]; first at age 10, perhaps, most recent in 1990

A friend of mine suffered a mTBI [mild Traumatic Brain Injury] from a slip in the tub, and shared this TEDx

How a brain injury made me smarter: Ann Zuccardy at TEDxPhoenixville

Over the last year or so, with more than a couple stories coming around about CTE [which may be not only linked to acute head injuries, like a specific concussion, but also repetitive smaller traumas that may or may not result in a loss of consciousness, or even "seeing stars"] I am more cognizant of how long it takes me to remember things that I used to know at the drop of a hat

I was a writer for a while, and now I struggle with "what's that other word for ... "

I'm also more ... not aware, what's ... attuned [got it!] to my mood swings, which I've always had, but sometimes get WAY out of proportion for the situation

All that being said, the one thing i MOST regret forgetting [if I even knew it at all] was that girl's name

I would not be lying if I said that I still think about her every day ... OK, every other day... twice a week, minimum

* Seven, diagnosed & documented ... who knows how many times I've dinged my noggin enough to shake things around

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6 with a TBI, feel free to pm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably had several growing up but never was treated for a concussion... I fell once while climbing in a culvert (by myself) fell and pretty sure I knocked myself out, another time I was hit by a car (while riding my bike) and head hit the windshield creating a big spider web, played football in middle/high school and got my bell rung a lot... again we didn't really talk about concussions back in those days like they do today.

Two years ago I was in a high speed cycling accident at about 40mph and was for the first time in my life treated for a concussion in addition to my other injuries. I've probably had several over my life but this was in my adult hood and now that concussions are taken more seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oct 2017, my 17 year old son slapped me on top of my bald head. He went to give me a high-five at the end of a hockey game on TV. I turned the other way to chat with a friend. Two days later, the headaches were out of this world as was the light and sound sensitivity. Soon the confusion set in. Then the emotional instability, anxiety and depression. Days turned in to weeks, weeks turned in to monhs. 3 months later I was doagnosed with PSC. Things got much worse before they got better. It was a nightmare. I was off of work for 13 months. I've now returned to work and to training and will toe the line at IM Mont Tremblant in search of my 3rd IM. I'd be more than happy to talk aboutt my journey. It changed my life.

Jason
Edmonton
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I probably had several growing up but never was treated for a concussion... I fell once while climbing in a culvert (by myself) fell and pretty sure I knocked myself out, another time I was hit by a car (while riding my bike) and head hit the windshield creating a big spider web, played football in middle/high school and got my bell rung a lot... again we didn't really talk about concussions back in those days like they do today.

Two years ago I was in a high speed cycling accident at about 40mph and was for the first time in my life treated for a concussion in addition to my other injuries. I've probably had several over my life but this was in my adult hood and now that concussions are taken more seriously.

This could have been my post - back in the day, I actually remember the football coaches saying "it's only his head." Probably had my bell rung a couple dozen times over those years, and even a few times since. More than willing to discuss if you'd like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had several. 3 documented...probably a few more.

1. Age 9 (ish): Ran full speed to grab a Trapeze hanging from a tree. Flew out as high as I could, and was unable to hang on. Landed on the back of my head. Woke up to my dad yelling to hurry and get in the car (he didn't see it, I didn't tell him). Went to my soccer game, came out after the second half becuase I couldn't see straight, and I had a splitting headache. Neuro diagnosed with mild concussion.

2. Age 17: Tae Kwon Do tournement. I was punched in the left jaw. Crumpled like a rag doll. I woke up to Sensei standing over me. My opponent was DQ'd...fists to the face were illegal. Competed in two more matches. Drove myself home. Got double vision after dinner while doing homework. CT scan revealed a subdural hemotoma, and severe concussion. This was my worst---I was out of school for a week recovering. The neuro said I was hit with the force of a baseball bat in full-swing.

3. Age 19: Skiing off route. Ran into a tree. Woke up in the snow, put myself together and skied down to the patrol office. Walked in, and announced that I'd just hit a tree. That got people hopping. Ambulance ride to hospital. CT Scan...concussion. I don't remember the severity. Mild headache for 24 hours.

I also played soccer from age 5 to 19. I practiced Tae Kwon Do from age 12 - 19. I rock climbed until I was 23. I was in a three major (highway speed, forward impact) car accidents (but, don't think that I ever lost conciousness)---one without a seat belt, two with. I essentially lived outside in the 70s on BMX bikes, climbed (and fell out of) trees, etc. All of this certainly resulted in numerous other brain rattling incidents, if not diagnosed concussions.
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you guys so much! these stories are absurd. keep em coming if anyone has more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few. Mostly as a kid. The ones I remember:

-playing in the backyard jumping through the swing like it was a high hurdle. That worked about as well as you would anticipate and I wound up head first into the ground and metal leg of the swing with no way to brace or avoid impact with my arms tangled up in the chain of the swing.

- year or so later I was jumping from a lawn chair to the crossbar of the swing set. After each successful jump I moved the chair back a bit. That game also ended with predictable results and an ER visit.

-water skiing in HS I wiped out spectacularly and got nailed hard in the back of the head with ski.

-in college I jumped off the back of a very fast moving boat feet first causing my body to jackknife and smack my head in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just letting everyone know that updated the thread a bit, realized i was being super unclear. if you know anyone who has had a concussion either would be great to talk to them and get their video as well!
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
CT scan revealed a subdural hemotoma, and severe concussion. This was my worst---I was out of school for a week recovering.

You had a subdural and were out of school for a week?!? You were CRAZY lucky. Mine took two surgeries, over a week in the hospital, and several more weeks of slow recovery before I was back to 100%.

As for my concussions, they are pretty numerous. The only diagnosed one was in connection with the subdural mentioned above, which resulted from a helmeted fall on ice playing hockey.

Some of the others were (i) getting knocked out at a wrestling tournament and replying to "where are you" by reading the name of the arena over the shoulder of the medic, after which I had two more matches, (ii) doing a full pad tackling drill in football that resulted in getting carted home (also marked the end of my football career), (iii) getting hit playing touch football to the point that I walked off the field, passed out, woke up, started throwing up about an hour later and didn't stop for a while, (iv) bouncing my head off the ground playing soccer hard enough to not remember why I was laying there with people standing over me; (v) getting knocked out in a fight (or two) and not remembering how any of it had happened; (vi) numerous episodes of impacts followed by "seeing stars," "getting wobbly and spacey," "not being able to think clearly."

None of these things are documented, and never saw a doctor for any of them. The 70s and 80s were a different time.

Happy to talk if it will help at all.
Quote Reply
Re: concussions [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
CT scan revealed a subdural hemotoma, and severe concussion. This was my worst---I was out of school for a week recovering.

You had a subdural and were out of school for a week?!? You were CRAZY lucky. Mine took two surgeries, over a week in the hospital, and several more weeks of slow recovery before I was back to 100%.

Yes. This is probably especially true, since I also competed in two more fights after that, but without further head contact. A second blow to the head (legal foot, or illegal fist) could have been bad...or a car accident on my drive home---hour drive from Ft. Worth back to Dallas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My own history with concussion, face planted on the road bike at 60kmh - was out of action for 6 months. Latest one from a mountain biking crash nearly two years ago and haven't been the same since. Daily headaches and chronic pain, hampers triathlon and life.
Happy to chat further if you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At uni our swimming culture was very accepting of hard drinking. At some point it dawned on me that I am an alcoholic (in long term recovery; thankfully) who always struggled with depression and mental illness. I had a very similar accident resulting in quite serious TBI and a subdural hematoma.Not once did anyone talk to me about the long term affects. Not once did our sports doctor our my coach at the time talk to me about those things or encourage me to back off with training and racing. Nor did the neurologist. At the time I was encouraged to "get back at it." I steadily became more erratic and it was one of those things that I wasn't able to self monitor. You always live with your own thoughts and detecting the changes with a damaged brain was not something I could do. It triggered a dangerous series of years for me that only was corrected once a mental health advocate who I am friends with started seeing the signs and begged me to open up. If she had not I would have died. I tried and failed. I thank her every day for encouraging me to talk about these things. The shame and hiding of the mental side of things put me in a dangerous place. One set of doctors set me on a very dangerous trajectory. Another set saved my life.
Quote Reply