Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece?
Quote | Reply
I've always worn 2 pieces, tri top and tri shorts, for my races. Is the biggest benefit with trisuit the comfort or is there more? Is it like comparing bike shorts to bib shorts? I did start wearing bib shorts more but it wasn't mind blowing as far as comfort goes. since I don't pee on myself in triathlons is the trisuit that much more difficult to pull down to use the bathroom?
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find one piece to be more comfortable actually, provided you find one that fits you well. It more like cycling bibs. You don't have to worry about your shorts sagging or riding down. No elastic or drawstrings to futz with. Top doesn't ride up and leave a nasty little sunburned spot on the small of your back just above your ass crack.

I raced in 2 pieces for years, mainly because it made peeing easier (both before, during, and after race). But I got a DeSoto FliSuit and love it (it has a fly that's high enough that you don't have to worry about the mouse popping out of his house). It's still harder to get off should you have a code brown during something like a 70.3 or Full IM. But if have diarrhea in a race, it's probably going to be a rough day regardless and time is out the window.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced in both, and the main benefit of the 1pc is the lack of a waistband (so less breathing restriction and muffin-topping). The downside is quick bathroom break access (for this reason I go with a 2pc for 70.3 and up).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I find one piece to be more comfortable actually, provided you find one that fits you well. It more like cycling bibs. You don't have to worry about your shorts sagging or riding down. No elastic or drawstrings to futz with. Top doesn't ride up and leave a nasty little sunburned spot on the small of your back just above your ass crack.

I raced in 2 pieces for years, mainly because it made peeing easier (both before, during, and after race). But I got a DeSoto FliSuit and love it (it has a fly that's high enough that you don't have to worry about the mouse popping out of his house). It's still harder to get off should you have a code brown during something like a 70.3 or Full IM. But if have diarrhea in a race, it's probably going to be a rough day regardless and time is out the window.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to the benefits of not having a waistband with a 1 piece, mainly for on the bike. I don’t like having the pressure of a waistband while riding. As for bathroom access, there are now quite a few 1 piece suits on the market that make it easy to wee, whether it’s a flap like in the Desoto suit or a zip up front.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have to try a desoto one. I always like their stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I've always worn 2 pieces, tri top and tri shorts, for my races. Is the biggest benefit with trisuit the comfort or is there more? Is it like comparing bike shorts to bib shorts? I did start wearing bib shorts more but it wasn't mind blowing as far as comfort goes. since I don't pee on myself in triathlons is the trisuit that much more difficult to pull down to use the bathroom?

I have done both and I piece is more comfortable. If you get a full zip suit bathroom stops are not at problem. Tri-shorts can cut across your abs even if your skinny. Tri-suits don't have that problem.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced in both. I like 1 piece better. I pulled leg side up to pee and it works pretty well.
Or I pee on the bike as I go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both and it was simply a matter of whatever I was used to. Maybe if I went back to a 2 piece, I might be dissatisfied; but, I'll have to use up the half dozen trisuits that I have first.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe there is an 'aero' discussion to be had too i.e. that a 2-piece has more drag as a result of the transition/overlap between the garments.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced in both, I would say that a 1-piece is significantly more comfortable... But as others have said, the only caveat would be for long distance races, if you need to take the browns to the superbowl... undoing a one-piece in the port-a-loo is challenging (I'd recommend unzipping and removing the top before entering the loo)... I swear I lost 5min fighting with my trisuit the first time I had to try to remove it for such an emergency in a half, since then I have gotten much faster at my T3s (well I guess technically, it's a T2...)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned: one piece works great for getting ice dumped down the front and/or back during a hot run.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bigbird wrote:
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned: one piece works great for getting ice dumped down the front and/or back during a hot run.

Won’t it still just move it’s way down the suit? I would like to see a trisuit with some sort of inner pocket near the top inside where I could put ice and let it melt and run down my torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It usually ends up around my belly button in the front and lower back in the rear. Works great for me on the hot ones. It would be nice to have some sort of simple, thin solution to hold the ice up higher, but man it feels good on the last few miles of the run. I try to "save" it until later in hot, long runs... gives me a boost.
Last edited by: Bigbird: May 31, 19 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Bigbird wrote:

Won’t it still just move it’s way down the suit? I would like to see a trisuit with some sort of inner pocket near the top inside where I could put ice and let it melt and run down my torso.

+1

Was thinking this same thing recently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Bigbird wrote:

Kiwami's long distance suit has a pocket behind the neck too hold ice. Just another great touch the suit offers.....

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice. I’ll definitely consider. I’m really surprised more manufacturers don’t do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only we could get the fly AND an ice pocket. Anyone know if the DeSoto has this feature?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest issue for me is going #2. I wore a one piece and had to make a potty break around mile 19 of the run in an IM. It seemed to take forever to get that thing off and then back on. I ended up missing a KQ slot by 7 seconds.

My approach in an IM now is full suit for the bike, then a quick change to tri shorts and top (either tank top of tri top) for the run, which aids in quick bathroom breaks. In a half I wear the one piece for the whole race (getting naked is usually frowned upon without changing tents!).

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigbird wrote:
If only we could get the fly AND an ice pocket. Anyone know if the DeSoto has this feature?

Having raced for 35 years, I have NEVER stopped to do #1. Seriously, one is spending the time, training, money to get the best stuff and you waste time stopping because you in took too much fluid? It's a very non issue during a race. Training, sure, but that's without the meter running. IMO having to stop with #2 is you making a mistake the day before or during the race with nutrition. If you stop, you usually become a "finisher" instead of podium. Look deeper than the moment.....

I am terribly biased, but Kiwami puts the most thought and practice into their gear than most out there. It's not just a cover, but a working, functional tool.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually I need to piss after the swim. Prob from the coffee I drink before races. If stopping for 10 seconds to take a piss makes me miss podium (very unlikely), I'm cool with that. I guess I'm not hardcore enough to piss on myself on the bike. I hope I'm never riding behind any of you when you decide to whiz in the breeze
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigbird wrote:
Usually I need to piss after the swim. Prob from the coffee I drink before races. If stopping for 10 seconds to take a piss makes me miss podium (very unlikely), I'm cool with that. I guess I'm not hardcore enough to piss on myself on the bike. I hope I'm never riding behind any of you when you decide to whiz in the breeze

Haha! Reminds me of a woman I was trading back and forth with in an IM. As I was coming up, a huge whoooooooosh..... and luckily I was back a ways. If you can slow down, stop get ready and piss and only lose 10 seconds, you are pretty amazing. Usually if you need to go the stream alone is a very long and slow one...... :-) Your choice....it's only time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigbird wrote:

I'm not getting a whiff of the podium in IM branded events. I was inside of top 25% in my age group for my last half ironman which for me always qualifies for a very good performance. So I'm stopping to pee for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
The biggest issue for me is going #2. I wore a one piece and had to make a potty break around mile 19 of the run in an IM. It seemed to take forever to get that thing off and then back on. I ended up missing a KQ slot by 7 seconds.

My approach in an IM now is full suit for the bike, then a quick change to tri shorts and top (either tank top of tri top) for the run, which aids in quick bathroom breaks. In a half I wear the one piece for the whole race (getting naked is usually frowned upon without changing tents!).

KQ is definitely not something I'm close to but I don't want to waste time when I'm trying aiming for a PR. Last race I lost a few minutes on the bike when my BTA launched and sent it and my garmin in opposite directions. Then #2 on the run cost me a minute on the run. None of it that big a deal but every race the goal is to improve just a little more.
Quote Reply
Re: comfort difference between trisuit vs 2 piece? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Full zip suit fixes that problem
Quote Reply

Prev Next