Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cold weather protocol for triathlon?
Quote | Reply
So being from Florida and faced with the possibility of Challenge Daytona being 30-40f in the morning ( you never know when a cold front may come through) I am considering all options and want to be ready. The last time I raced in cool weather my transition had no extra cold weather gear. I swam in a full wetsuit, exited the water, stripped down, jumped on my bike wet and proceeded to go numb and be cold for about 45 minutes before warming up (no socks, nothing, just a super fast T2. (this was in 50F weather) Daytime temps were to reach a high of 70f so I gambled with the bike attire knowing i'd be cold but banking on warming up. It worked out ok but I am worried if this race is 40c what I should do. I am curious what you guys do, and specifically the faster triathletes. Like pros. Do they spend the extra minute in T2 completely drying off, putting on 2 pairs of socks, layer under a jersey, arm warmers etc?

My thought process for a 40f morning (60-65f high) was going to be just wear tri shorts under my wetsuit, once I hit t2, dry off, put on underlayer top then my tri jersey, 2 pair of socks, arm warmers and gloves. Or is that overkill? I do 1/2 ironman in about 4:20 so I do warmup somewhat quick. I hope.

Thanks for any and all input.

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather protocol for triathlon? [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be a bit of overkill. If you dry off and can put on a dry top (either full zip jersey or your tri top and arm warmers) that should get most of it. Dry socks will be great...compression ones will help keep you warmer...but don’t do two pairs unless you are sure you have room in your shoes. If they inhibit your circulation at all your feet will freeze. Do you have toe covers?
A last minute/easy to find fix is stuffing a trash bag down the front of your kit. You can yank it out/toss as needed. Or, read Jordan Rapp’s Norseman race report and use his space blanket trick. That does about the same thing. The gloves might be a good idea too. Shouldn’t be cold enough for this, but you can layer a nitrile/surgical glove underneath to cut the wind if it’s really chilly. Take a few options and you can choose what you think best night before/morning of when you have a better idea of temps. Good luck and stay warm!
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather protocol for triathlon? [SkyFly Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great idea on the extra layer of glove via surgical, good tips so far, looking for more!

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Re: cold weather protocol for triathlon? [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My one experience in cold was not remotely competitive. My first 70.3 in Austin last year where I was just there to finish, so not all decisions were the best for speed. 38F at the start. Toe covers were already on the shoes, gloves, and tight fitting cycling jacket. Putting the jacket on was the only thing that took extra transition time really. Toe covers were folded forward and adjusted on the bike. I will admit I was getting warm by the finish of the bike. But never suffered with the cold at all. Was never remotely uncomfortable except for waiting to get in the water.
Quote Reply