Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

co2, effetto on a plane
Quote | Reply
Any tricks to travel with co2 cartridges or effetto on a plane (SFO-KOA, Alaska)? Looks like it's prohibited from both carry on and checked baggage. Do people just buy these things at the race site and leave them there if unused? Wasteful:(...
Last edited by: friskyDingo: Sep 27, 18 22:00
Quote Reply
Re: co2, efetto on a plane [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was stopped at security, pulled out of line and given a written warning from TSA for one CO2. They then followed up by mail. I was polite the whole time and it was completely unintentional. Skip the hassle and buy them there!
Last edited by: wayne93117: Sep 27, 18 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: co2, efetto on a plane [wayne93117] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch, sounds good, thank you:)
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't bother with CO2 cartridges but if effeto or pressurised sealant I put in with my toiletries and I guess people just see them as shaving cream or deodorant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy them there and give them away to locals so it's not wasteful, but it is good karma. I've never flatted at a destination race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy an inflatable life jacket, you're allowed a CO2 cartridge and a spare with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy them locally and then give them away if unused. One time while driving to the airport to leave we encountered a cyclist stopped at a red light. My wife opened the window and handed it to him, the look on his face was priceless. :)

Also, last time we were in Kona the bike shop we bought them from (don't remember which and this was 2011) said we could return them before leaving if we didn't use them.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I buy them there and give them away to locals so it's not wasteful, but it is good karma. I've never flatted at a destination race.

Better knock on some wood with that statement!

Like the others said, leave them at home and buy some there. I had tsa completely take apart my bike box and smash it all back together improperly bc I had 2 in there. ( I am guessing they can easily spot these on xray)

You can always purchase some online and have them shipped to you as a backup. ( or call ahead to the local bike shop and have them set some aside)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mail them to the hotel.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, you are on the wrong side of the table with TSA/Customs. The easy way is the path of least resistance. You can argue that under every seat of the plane has a co2 cartridge, but you won't win. I think the knee jerk reaction in them finding a co2 cartridge is to look for other violations. The last thing you want is an advanced search of your stuff. I had a bike completely destroyed by British customs once. Looked like the headset and bb were taken apart with a pipe wrench. Complained to the carrier, and the sent me a nice note with the British Customs complaint line address. I am sure they would have completely listened to me.
Just because you might sneak a couple on board doesn't make it any better for the next guy. Especially if you argue with them. They have a job to do and like all of us would love it if there were no conflicts or hassles to deal with today. I agree with the Karma dude. buy em and give them away at the destination. I have done that with bear spray a couple of times. Now I see where you can just rent bear spray in some locations. Never seen it but heard some tris have a gimme box going. I am sure LBS would not do that too often due to the loss of sales, but they should.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, I did this with the bear spray at AKman last year too! I'm completely fine with doing this (and will do in a few weeks), but wondering what people do + effetto is ~$18, so wanted to check.

What do they do in Kona with so many co2 cartridges?:) Someone local could set up a collection/lending for next year, and I'd just pay them:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to France last month with my bike and completely forgot about the 2 CO2 cartridges I had in my bike bag. Nobody said a thing :). I was also surprised Lufthansa didn't charge me anything both out and back from SFO. First time ever on Lufthansa and I plan to use them again when going to Europe if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quote that back to them until I'm blue in the face but TSA never budges on that.

jaretj wrote:
Buy an inflatable life jacket, you're allowed a CO2 cartridge and a spare with it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Y
Just because you might sneak a couple on board doesn't make it any better for the next guy. Especially if you argue with them. They have a job to do and like all of us would love it if there were no conflicts or hassles to deal with today. I agree with the Karma dude. buy em and give them away at the destination. I have done that with bear spray a couple of times. Now I see where you can just rent bear spray in some locations. Never seen it but heard some tris have a gimme box going. I am sure LBS would not do that too often due to the loss of sales, but they should.

In South Africa one of the LBS had a box to return CO2s that people could not take back with them. They noted that the CO2s would be resold with 100% of proceeds going to charity.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on them Huffy, glad to see someone doing some thinking and for a good cause. Tip o' the hat to the race committee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a store near the pier in Kona that loaned me a CO2 and I bought one for the Honu race. I left both of them at that store for others to borrow.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a small, but recurring inconvenience for those who travel to races. I'm really surprised WTC hasn't figured out a way to monetize this as an optional add-on to your registration. If I was flying to an event, I'd happily spend an extra $10 or $20 to have a Co2 cartridge or two ready in my welcome packet. Yes, that's well over market price, but worth the convenience, at least to me. Have a return location at the end/awards ceremony where you can get some trinket in exchange for any unused cartridges.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have eight CO2 cartridges hidden in the Kona hotel room that I stay in.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just put them in nature's pocket when going through security.
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
This is a small, but recurring inconvenience for those who travel to races. I'm really surprised WTC hasn't figured out a way to monetize this as an optional add-on to your registration. If I was flying to an event, I'd happily spend an extra $10 or $20 to have a Co2 cartridge or two ready in my welcome packet. Yes, that's well over market price, but worth the convenience, at least to me. Have a return location at the end/awards ceremony where you can get some trinket in exchange for any unused cartridges.

$20 for a prepaid flat kit rental would be great. CO2, levers, multitool, valve adapter, tube. Have it at pick up. Drop it off at bike pickup. Not sure how the logistics of storage and transportation would work.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: co2, effetto on a plane [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I just take the ones the airline supplies to me in the life jacket under my seat.
Quote Reply