Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
chrissie wellington's cadence
Quote | Reply
was reading a bit and came across:

" I love to push a big gear. It’s a misconception that you need to spin a smaller gear at a higher cadence on the bike. You don’t, " Wellington said. " Doing that actually raises your heart rate and makes you more tired, which doesn’t serve you very well in long distance racing. Cranking it down and pushing a bigger gear lets me lower my heart rate. It’s what feels natural to me and enables me to go the fastest I can go," she added. "

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/...-the-big-gear/869697

it seems like she is doign something right.

Discuss.
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [onyouright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And she has a very fast cadence on the run. No one cadence is better than another, we all have our own sweet spot.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
riding at a higher cadence does raise your heart rate. riding at a lower cadence requires a lot of torque per revolution, however. each comes with a cost. so, you find the "right" cadence for the effort.

i agree with her that riding a high cadence is bad, or, CAN be bad. but there's a cadence 5 beats lower than the one she rides. why doesn't she ride that cadence? it all depends on what you call "high," and, at what effort you're talking about. "high" is 95rpm for an IM. but that's not high for a 40k time trial.

so, statements like this don't mean anything unless they're attached to a set of real numbers over specific distances, and even better if you're talking about an effort that's at a particular intensity, say, a specific percentage of your FTP. otherwise, it's like saying you're in favor of "smaller government." smaller than what?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all due respect to Chrissie, in her 3 years of winning all over the world, I'm yet to hear a single piece of useful advice coming from her end. Lots of pros out there with a ton of more insight to offer us. She does not seem to be very effective in communicating anything technical about the sport. Other aspects like "my gosh, its so good to win, I feel so fit, I love the volunteers" she's great at, but on the technical insight part, her ranking is down in the "fail" category.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mean BS?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

" I love to push a big gear. It’s a misconception that you need to spin a smaller gear at a higher cadence on the bike. You don’t, " Wellington said. " Doing that actually raises your heart rate and makes you more tired, which doesn’t serve you very well in long distance racing. Cranking it down and pushing a bigger gear lets me lower my heart rate. It’s what feels natural to me and enables me to go the fastest I can go," she added. "

Discuss.

She meant to say, "Brett Sutton told me I love to push a big gear. Brett Sutton told me it's a misconception that... Brett Sutton told me that doing that actually raises your heart rate. Brett Sutton told me that doesn't serve you very well in long distance racing. Brett Sutton told me cranking it down and pushing a bigger gear lets me lower my heart rate... Brett Sutton told me it's what feels natural to me and enables me to go the fastest I can go."

Re-read it as I wrote it, and you'll have a more accurate understanding of what she thinks.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS
FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS

GALILEO, GALILEO
THE WORLD IS FLAT
BUT NOT AS FLAT
AS MY SHORTY’S BACK

I LIKE ‘EM REALLY HOT
I LIKE ‘EM REALLY FLAT
I LIKE ‘EM LOOKIN JUST
LIKE A PANCAKE STACK

IF HER BUTT IS BONY
SHE GOT IT GOIN’ ON
I THINK I SAW HER ON
FLATBUNS.COM

FLATTER
MAKES A BETTER REAR
STAND SIDEWAYS, GIRL
YOU DISAPPEAR

FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS
FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS

WELL WE ARE
ITTY, BITTY BOOTY COMMITTEE
ON A ONE WAY BUS
TO FLAT BUN CITY

GOT NO HINEY?
I CALL YOU YOUR HINEOUS
IN ANATOMY CLASS
YOU GOT A BUTT MINUS

FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS
FLAT BUNS
I LIKE FLAT BUNS
Last edited by: :D: Jan 1, 10 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She may not know what she's talking about, but the results indicate that whatever she is doing is working. There's probably as many different theories out there as there are triathletes (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration), but there is no one specific theory for each individual. The best you can do is to work out what works best for you using the theroty and other's expertise as a guideline, not something to slavishly adopt.

And that is what it looks like Brett Sutton is saying.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: irncpl: Jan 1, 10 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re-read it as I wrote it, and you'll have a more accurate understanding of what she thinks.

That's pretty disrespectful.

Granted, her comments need to be taken in the context of her experience, but Chrissie is an accomplished enough cyclist that she's earned the right to tell people what feels "natural" to her.

And she's about as fast as you running off the bike, so it obviously works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Discuss.

She meant to say, "Brett Sutton told me I love to push a big gear. Brett Sutton told me it's a misconception that... Brett Sutton told me that doing that actually raises your heart rate. Brett Sutton told me that doesn't serve you very well in long distance racing. Brett Sutton told me cranking it down and pushing a bigger gear lets me lower my heart rate... Brett Sutton told me it's what feels natural to me and enables me to go the fastest I can go."

You are kidding, right? While Brett Sutton may have told her such several years ago, it would seem to me that her results speak for themselves and that it is reasonable for her to actually believe this stuff. Don't you think people "believe" what has worked for them? Has anybody ever been more dominant than Ms. Wellington, having never lost an IM race? And, again, there is some scientific evidence to support what she says. Ignore her words at your competitive peril, as far as I am concerned.

I find it interesting that those who are not quite at her level seem to think she is an idiot because she says something that goes against what they believe.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that Rappstar has won IMAZ, he can say anything.
Last edited by: damien: Jan 1, 10 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Discuss.

You are kidding, right? While Brett Sutton may have told her such several years ago, it would seem to me that her results speak for themselves and that it is reasonable for her to actually believe this stuff. Don't you think people "believe" what has worked for them? Has anybody ever been more dominant than Ms. Wellington, having never lost an IM race? And, again, there is some scientific evidence to support what she says. Ignore her words at your competitive peril, as far as I am concerned.

I find it interesting that those who are not quite at her level seem to think she is an idiot because she says something that goes against what they believe.

very, very well put. i had the entire "She could flip burgers at McDonalds for the remainder of her natural life and still have a much better athletic perception than the lot of you all combined" but figured someone with a brain would soon chime in and that i'd just agree with you, like just now.

Go Chrissie Go!!!! i've been watching her for the last few hours, very impressive and i love how she's always smiling. good natured woman.

my two cents.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who thinks she is an idiot for going against what they believe? So because she is so dominant we should assume everything she is doing is ideal and she planned it all along? If we could get people to stop believing in what worked for them and realize the only way you truly know if something works is through a randomized trial then we wouldn't have so many educated idiots running around.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [damien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Anybody can say anything. Winning IMAZ does not put Rappstarr quite at Ms Wellington's level.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Anybody can say anything. Winning IMAZ does not put Rappstarr quite at Ms Wellington's level.

again with the brains, Go Frank Day Go!! ;) and Jordan's comment almost took him off of my who's advice counts list for 2010. just saying.

Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well i'm a bit confused because if you, Jordan, are saying that Sutton is a great coach, then i guess i agree with you on that in the way of yes, big gears is the only way to go and he knew it and passed it along to Chrissie and look at what happened there so go Sutton as far as that goes. but if you are saying that Chrissie can't think for herself and can't put together in her own mind what is what and how she adapts to conquering ironmen and women alike and easily and that her opinion doesn't count just because she may not care about the technical side of things or care to explain them than i'd have to disagree, strongly.

btw, remember the narrators talking about Big Lance only pushing a big gear up hill during one of them tours he dominated? and he never gets too technical either...just saying.

Go Chrissie Go!!!

Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10/10

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me say up front that I have great respect for you and I understand that you know the pro's better than I ever will. However, you make it sound like Chrissie is incapable of thinking for herself. If you give advice as you have so kindly shared after your great wins in Canada and Arizona, does it mean that we are really just hearing what your coach told you? I doubt it. I have found you to be bright and thoughtful.
While I have never met Chrissie, I have read that is quite intelligent and capable of thought for herself.
I understand that if I was coached by Mark Allen, I would probably use his philosophy. However, I would know that when I chose him as a coach.
Perhaps what Chrissie says follows Brett Sutton's philosophy, but it sure works----for her.
Do you know if there has been a study on muscle fiber type and cadance? Perhaps, her pace matches her muscle fiber type. As a biology teacher, I bet there is a reason why some do better at high cadance and others do better at a slower cadance.
Anyway, thanks for all you done on this forum to help many of us be better athletes.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello onyourright and All,

What is Chrissie's average race cadence - the number that is - like 80 or 70 or whatever?

What are number are you talking about?

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Let me say up front that I have great respect for you and I understand that you know the pro's better than I ever will. However, you make it sound like Chrissie is incapable of thinking for herself. If you give advice as you have so kindly shared after your great wins in Canada and Arizona, does it mean that we are really just hearing what your coach told you? I doubt it. I have found you to be bright and thoughtful.
While I have never met Chrissie, I have read that is quite intelligent and capable of thought for herself.
I understand that if I was coached by Mark Allen, I would probably use his philosophy. However, I would know that when I chose him as a coach.
Perhaps what Chrissie says follows Brett Sutton's philosophy, but it sure works----for her.
Do you know if there has been a study on muscle fiber type and cadance? Perhaps, her pace matches her muscle fiber type. As a biology teacher, I bet there is a reason why some do better at high cadance and others do better at a slower cadance.
Anyway, thanks for all you done on this forum to help many of us be better athletes.

It has nothing to do with what races I've won or not won. It has to do with the fact that I know something about how Sutton trains his athletes, and that I pay attention to a lot of details that other people seem to gloss over when evaluating Chrissie. She wins in such dominating fashion - and always has - that it's much more difficult to say what things she is successful because of and what things she is successful in spite of.A couple of things to consider. Chrissie has never lost an Ironman. Ever. She's never had to address the topic of "I need to change things because what I'm doing isn't working." But that also means that it makes it much harder to determine what things she succeeds in spite of and what things she succeeds because of. Kind of like her aerobar extensions. They are too long. They just are. It's not like it something that "works for her." It's just something that doesn't matter enough to make a difference. But it's not like it's right or good or anything like that. It's wrong, but she's good enough that it doesn't matter.

If you asked her after the race (or even after training) what her cadence was, or what her HR was, she couldn't tell you. Because Brett's athletes don't know. Because that's not how they train. They train with a watch. And that's it. Chrissie doesn't wear a HRM. She doesn't use a powermeter. She doesn't even have a cycling computer. She doesn't actually even know what her cadence is. Interestingly, if you watch OTHER sections of video, especially early in the race, I clocked her at 90rpm+ for some good stretches. But this wasn't in the Ironman TV broadcast. It was footage from someone shooting at the race. Her cycling "technique" is 100% grounded in what Sutton believes is correct. As Dan said, she could ride 5 beats lower cadence then she does. Or 10 beats lower. Or 15. Or 5 beats higher. Chrissie doesn't even actually know what her cadence is, so it wouldn't really make a difference since the only thing she's reporting is what she FEELS her cadence is. And she doesn't even really know whether or not she's pushing a big gear, other than she feels like it's a big gear. But why not one gear bigger? Or two? Her HR would be even lower. That's just basic physiology. Drop her cadence some more. If you actually read what she wrote/said, it's not a definitive statement. It's like saying "when you go to the pool, you should swim with long strokes." So in that sense, it's not really something you can (or can't) believe in.

What she says is reminiscent of Lance describing his pedaling technique as "scraping mud off the bottom of his shoes." Except that he doesn't actually pedal that way. I.e., Lance does not (and did not) apply power approximately perpendicular to the crank arm around BDC. But Lance *thought* he did this. So he said that's what he did. But it isn't actually how he pedaled. But he'd swear to you that is how he pedaled and that it was a big part of why he was successful.

I never implied that Chrissie cannot think for herself. However, on the topic of cycling technique, she doesn't actually have any of the tools to underpin her argument. I.e., she doesn't know her cadence. She doesn't know her HR. So how can she make statements about it? She can make statements because they are what Brett drilled into her head. I am not saying that her riding low cadence is not something that works for her. I am simply pointing out that she - by all accounts (and I'm considering much more than just what I've seen on TV) - has very little to no actually evidence to lend credence to her argument and that it is also basically a word-for-word repetition of what you can find in any one of the various Brett Sutton interviews out there. Chrissie can think for herself. In this case, she is able to think that "don't fix what isn't broken." That is very different than being able to say "I am successful because of X." A huge part of any athletes success is rooted in the trust of one's coach. Myself included.

What is most interesting is to me is everyone's reaction to what I wrote. But I suppose it isn't really surprising. Everyone wants there to be a "way to train" or a "way to race." I saw it regularly when people would ask for my training schedules. The main reason I don't share them is because they aren't mine to share. But I also don't share them because they are not really relevant to anyone but me. Chrissie doesn't win because she rides a "low" cadence. She doesn't even know the cadence she rides. She wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor. Have Dan relate some stories about Dave Scott. Or look at Normann Stadler who won two Ironmans and set the bike course record in Kona without ever measuring his bike position and by deciding what training to do on a give day by how he felt when he woke up in the morning. As my rowing coach once said, "there are very few problems in the world that can't be fixed by pulling harder." A really big f'ing motor makes up for a lot. When you have someone that basically exists in an entirely separate timezone on race day, how do you ask them to explain, "so, what is it that makes you successful?"

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And that's a pretty damn good post to summarise the thread. Well put.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: chrissie wellington's cadence [irncpl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And that's a pretty damn good post to summarise the thread. Well put.

X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It's just something that doesn't matter enough to make a difference. But it's not like it's right or good or anything like that. It's wrong, but she's good enough that it doesn't matter."

If she does pay attention to all the things you mentioned, do you think she can do better?

The woman has confidence. And the way she handled herself when having bike problems is it also due to her "being blessed with a big motor"? I think it is plain old school greatness. However I fully understand what you said, and thanks for your insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well put, and I would add that before being coached by Brett Sutton Chrissie was already riding with a low cadence and running with a high cadence (frequency). So maybe one aspect of Brett's success with Chrissie has been to be intelligent enough not to change her spontaneous movement but 'simply' to help her to develop her strength(s).
By the way, do you think that Dave Scott and Mark Allen knew their HR and cadence? Maybe at the end of their career, but not at the beginning.

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Chrissie doesn't win because she rides a "low" cadence. She doesn't even know the cadence she rides. She wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor"

Best quote of 2010 so far Jordan. In fact I am going to put that one in my sig line!

Kevin
Quote Reply

Prev Next