Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

chicago tribune article on DJs calling for violence against cyclists
Quote | Reply
Here is a story in the Chicago Tribune on this ongoing subject.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...chi-leisuretempo-hed

"In 2001, 728 cyclists were killed in accidents involving motor vehicles in the United States. And an additional 45,000 cyclists were injured." Chicago Tribune, 10/13/03. Scary stat!

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Can you copy that article and paste it? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please register or log in

The story you requested is available only to registered members. Registration is FREE and offers great benefits.

Register now

Already registered? Log in: Member name:
Password:

Registered with chicagosports.com?
Simply log in, you are already registered with chicagotribune.com.

Forget your member name and/or password? click here.

All member accounts established prior to July 9, 2001, are no longer active and require re-registration.

IMPORTANT: Your browser MUST accept cookies in order to successfully login.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
RHere is The artile for Those Who Can't Opne the Link [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AT RANDOM RADIO
Cyclists fail to see the humor in deejays' calls for assaults

E-mail this story
Printer-friendly format
Search archives

By J. Michael Kennedy
Tribune Newspapers: Los Angeles Times
Published October 14, 2003

Kevin Bray was, well, shocked, when he heard that shock jocks were urging their listeners to run bicyclists off the road. He was horrified when he found out it had happened at least three times since July, in each case at stations owned by radio behemoth Clear Channel -- first in Cleveland, then Houston and finally at a station in Raleigh, N.C. To Bray, an avid cyclist and veteran North Carolina highway patrolman, there seemed to be an ominous pattern developing.

"All I can say is, `Who's next?'" said Bray, who has filed a complaint against the Raleigh station with the Federal Communications Commission. "What these people are doing is some sort of sick marketing ploy."

That thought has also occurred to Patrick McCormick, director of communications for the 40,000-member League of American Bicyclists, an organization dedicated to preserving cyclists' rights. He said his group has been deluged with complaints now that three major radio markets have been beset by the same anti-cyclist comments. "We're still contemplating what we're going to do as a national organization," McCormick said.

The incidents have stirred rage in the cycling world. In each incident, disc jockeys derided cyclists and encouraged listeners to run them down. In the latest example, at Raleigh station WDCG-FM, disc jockeys Bob Dumas and Madison Lane began their rant against cyclists Sept. 22. In the course of the program, listeners flooded their telephone lines to vent about cyclists, including one woman who boasted that her father intentionally hit one while they were on the way to church. One of the disc jockeys promoted the joys of hitting cyclists with Yoo-hoo bottles.

Warning to shock jocks

When patrolman Bray heard about the program, he wrote an e-mail to the shock jocks, warning them they were instructing the motoring public in how to commit assault with a deadly weapon -- their cars. Bray also informed them that he was reporting them to the FCC.

"I don't know much about radio broadcasting," he wrote. "But I have enough sense to know that these acts are either illegal or contrary to the code of ethics you should be bound by when the FCC allows you to go on the air."

The station's initial response came from station manager Kenneth Spitzer, who referred to the show as "animated banter." But after a demonstration outside the station and the threat by advertisers to pull out, Spitzer issued a public apology on the air Thursday.

The first of the anti-cyclist diatribe occurred in July in Cleveland, when WMJI-FM disc jockeys suggested cyclists be rammed off the road. One of those who got on the phone to defend cyclists was Lois Cowan, who co-owns four bike shops in the Cleveland area.

"I was repeatedly called a buffoon, an idiot and a PMS sufferer who couldn't take a joke," she said. "Then there were three hours of calls from people saying, `Yeah, you guys are right.'"

The session left Cowan in tears, but she immediately swung into action, helping engineer a bombardment of calls and e-mails to the station. In the end, the station called a truce and agreed to, among other things, hundreds of public-service announcements about the need to share the road.

Timing angers cyclists

The Houston incident also took place in September, and the timing of the show infuriated the city's cycling community. On Aug. 30, a woman driving a pickup truck had lost control and slammed into a 20-bike pace line, killing two riders and injuring eight others. Three days later, the disc jockeys at station KLOL-FM went on their anti-biking rampage, setting off another round of protests.

"When you incite people to violence, you've crossed the line," said Houston cyclist Frank Karbarz, who helped organize against the station. "They did it almost like a tutorial. It wasn't humorous. It was how to hurt someone."

Cowan doesn't believe that Clear Channel, which owns more than 1,200 radio stations in the United States, is encouraging the anti-cycling venom. She said it's more probable that word spread among disc jockeys that knocking cyclists is sure to push emotional buttons with their listeners.

A Clear Channel representative said each station was "operated and produced independently" and "each station is working to correct the problem in their city."

But noted cycling writer Ed Pavelka said he felt the three incidents have at least the makings of a trend. "First it was Cleveland, then Houston and Raleigh," he said. "Either someone's not getting the message, or someone's doing it with intent."

In 2001, 728 cyclists were killed in accidents involving motor vehicles in the United States. And an additional 45,000 cyclists were injured.

Legally, cyclists are afforded the same rights as motorists. Lawyer Gary Brustin, who specializes in cycling cases, noted that some motorists just don't like sharing the road with bikes. "They just don't like them."

Copyright © 2003, Chicago Tribune

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: RHere is The artile for Those Who Can't Opne the Link [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those guys sucked as a morning show when I lived in Raleigh. I can't believe people actually heard them.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: RHere is The artile for Those Who Can't Opne the Link [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bet their listening audience increased after this controversy. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if this was a calculated move to increase listeners. I'm not saying it was... just that it wouldn't surprise me. After all... there's no such thing as bad publicity.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply