Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps
Quote | Reply
So I'm just gearing up to get back into biking and am trying to get my 1976 Trek road bike back in shape on the cheap. Or I may buy a new cheapo bike. I'm going to have some dumb newby (re-newby?) questions. First set is about pedals since my spindles barely turn.

- Looks like if I order a new bike online it comes without pedals, true?

- I want the old pedals with toe straps rather than clip-in shoes. Looks like they still exist and I can get some for $15-$30.
- Are they all the same thread size or whatever? Will any of them fit my old or new bike?
- Can you get different sizes of the cage? Is there a size that will fit my size 16 running shoes? In my old ones my toes hit the end before the ball of my foot really gets on the pedal.
- I see some that have a big strap that wraps around and no cage. Do those work?

Any other advice on decent cheap (cheap!) pedals?

I do understand that "spend more on bike or components and you won't be sorry" may be good advice, but I'm going to ignore that advice and stay cheapo.
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
So I'm just gearing up to get back into biking and am trying to get my 1976 Trek road bike back in shape on the cheap. Or I may buy a new cheapo bike. I'm going to have some dumb newby (re-newby?) questions. First set is about pedals since my spindles barely turn.

- I want the old pedals with toe straps rather than clip-in shoes. Looks like they still exist and I can get some for $15-$30.
- Are they all the same thread size or whatever? Will any of them fit my old or new bike?
- Can you get different sizes of the cage? Is there a size that will fit my size 16 running shoes? In my old ones my toes hit the end before the ball of my foot really gets on the pedal.
- I see some that have a big strap that wraps around and no cage. Do those work?

I do understand that "spend more on bike or components and you won't be sorry" may be good advice, but I'm going to ignore that advice and stay cheapo.

I would use decent platform pedals over toe clips, but I'd use clipless over either on my road bike. Is there are reason you are anti-clipless pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll second the clilpless. It’s an item that really does last forever. It might take an initial investment but it will be more than worth it in the long run.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you want retro accuracy and do desire the clips I would find a used stainless pair.

You can shim the mounting point on the toe end of the pedal. You may have to make a shim and buy screws, but doable if you have big feet.

I learned on toe cages and downtube shifters myself. It was harrowing.

I’ve debated getting one again for trolling the group ride. Show up all Fred and then drop em.

If you want performance and toe cages, research track cycling shoes and pedals. They are toe straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Depends. Most lower-end bikes come with cheap platform pedlas.

Quote:
Nearly all bicycles have used 9/16" 20TPI threading for a very long time, yeah.
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
HardlyTrying wrote:

I would use decent platform pedals over toe clips, but I'd use clipless over either on my road bike. Is there are reason you are anti-clipless pedals?

Does clipless mean I have to get shoes for them? I don't want to mess with that. I want to ride to work or other places and then walk or run around without changing shoes. Plus, I haven't looked, but it's hard enough to get running shoes in size 16, I can't imagine it's any easier for bike shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Does clipless mean I have to get shoes for them?
The clipless retention mechanism does require special shoes, although there are some pedals that have a platform side, like the Shimano PD-M324.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:

Important to note the difference between clips, clipless, and flat pedals with cages. Most people these days use clipless, which involves clipping your shoe in to the pedal. I believe what you are looking for is a flat pedal with a cage as seen here

To answer your questions:

- Not always. Usually higher end bikes that are made for clipless pedals won't have pedals on them, as riders will have their own that they move over from an older bike. However, a lot of bikes come with flat pedals on them. These are usually hybrid/city/urban bikes. Road bikes, or anything usually built for performance won't have pedals on them.
- Are you looking for old pedals for the retro look or because they are cheaper used? Either way, you can still buy flat pedals with a cage on them brand new. Yes they should cost about $30 new.
- Unsure about thread sizing. Generally yes, I've moved my pedals around on bikes from the 2000s, but you're looking at a 1976 model, so yes things may have changed. These specs are readily available on manufacturers websites.
- Most cages I've seen are one size, but adjustable. Size 16 running is a bit of an outlier, best to try them in person at your LBS. Alternatively (see below)
- Yes, you can get leather straps (or perhaps other materials as well). These might be a good option especially when considering your shoe size. I've really only seen them in two places: either used by hipsters on fixed gear bikes, or on a lifecycle at the gym. But they are out there.
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
- Not always. Usually higher end bikes that are made for clipless pedals won't have pedals on them, as riders will have their own that they move over from an older bike.

Even if the rider doesn't have their own pedals at the time of purchase, the bike manufacturers don't want to try to assume what sort of pedal system the rider will use.

Quote:
- Unsure about thread sizing. Generally yes, I've moved my pedals around on bikes from the 2000s, but you're looking at a 1976 model, so yes things may have changed.

9/16" 20TPI pedal threading has been standard since the dawn of time.

One-piece ashtabula cranks use 1/2" 20TPI threading, but they're rare on adult bikes.
Some very old French bikes use a metric threading, but this is very rare and definitely not the case for the OP's Trek.
A few early-80s bikes have Shimano Dyna-Drive threading, which positions the pedal bearing within the crank. This is also definitely not the case for the OP's Trek.

Late-1970s adult bikes from the USA or Japan are actually some of the most-convenient bikes out there in terms of finding parts. Arguably more convenient than most current bikes, really.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Mar 8, 19 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
- Are you looking for old pedals for the retro look or because they are cheaper used? Either way, you can still buy flat pedals with a cage on them brand new. Yes they should cost about $30 new.

Thanks. Sorry. I don't care what they look like and I don't need old or old-looking ones, I just meant pedals with clips, which I thought might be archaic. Maybe there are many others out there using them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want pedals with clips?

Why not just use platform pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Putting straps on is a pain. Having your foot stuck in straps, and there will be pain ;-).
Look for used clip-on pedals ( SPD style) and MTB shoes on Ebay or Craigslist.
You'll never have to worry about clipping, or un-clipping at stop signs, etc...
When I began cycling again a few years ago, I bought old Look pedals for $18.00 and brand new shoes (old stock) for $35.

Louis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
vijeet88 wrote:

Thanks. Sorry. I don't care what they look like and I don't need old or old-looking ones, I just meant pedals with clips, which I thought might be archaic. Maybe there are many others out there using them.

I used to over tighten my pedals with cages and they still required a cycling shoe with a cycling cleat. If you are going that route, just upgrade to new clipless and some are much less expensive than others.

OTOH there are combination (platform and MTB/PD clipless) pedals that leave you with two options on the road bike PLUS the shoes would also work well for spin classes when it rains or you want to people watch.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My early 80s Miele uses the same 9/16ths as my more modern bikes. I have swapped pedals among all of them without trouble, and I can't imagine your trek has a different standard if it is a road bike.

I would not go with cages, I had cages for years on that bike, I swapped them out for a cheap pair of mountain bike pedals with a clipless side and a flat side. I was much happier on them, and it's much easier to pop in and out of cleats than it is to pull those straps around a shoe. It's much safer too.
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it looks like large bike shoes are not that hard to find and not that expensive. And there are some that don't look goofy, like: https://www.moosejaw.com/...ycling-shoe_10420351

I might think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some decent flat pedals designed for MTB use. You can go plenty fast on them
Quote Reply
Re: cheapo bike dumb question 1: pedals and straps [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they still make them. I have these on my indoor trainer bike

New pedals with cages and straps

They are plastic, unlike the metal/leather models of the past. They work great.

That said, I raced back in the day of metal cages and leather straps and real cleats. When I got into triathlons in the early 80's it was common to used the same, only wear running shoes. Worked fine. I'm sure it still would, at an age group, fitness level. I left the sport in 89, my how times have changed.

I returned to cycling in 2013. I bought the above pedals/cages/straps, and rode in running shoes. Works fine. Then I bought my first set of SPD pedals, and shoes. Fell in love with the ease of clipping in and out, and no more reaching down to loosen straps every freaking time you stop. Do that, you won't be sorry. I love the modern recessed clips on the mt. bike and fitness shoes. It makes running in transitions a non issue. However, there is a time and place for the cages... for me, it's on my indoor trainer. I can jump on it with my running shoes, cinch up the straps and train. But for outdoor riding and races, I've gone SPD and love them. And I'm one of the most set in my ways, vintage cyclist you'll ever meet (my main bike is a 52 year old vintage steel)

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply