Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

carbon wheels-question
Quote | Reply
I am a middle of the pack, 49 year old AG looking to do my first 70.3 in may santa rosa. my goal is to break 6 hours. I have a cervelo p2 current year and added some 48mm spinergy carbon wheels which made the bike faster. DeSoto 2 piece wetsuit which is super buoyant and flexible which helps tremendously because im a below avg swimmer I got a great bike fit from Jim at ero-sports in LA and have been steadily improving my engine on the bike and run. Any bike component tips for some free speed upgrades Eventuallyi want to get the tririg brakes and alphaone bars setup Will a 60/disc setup save me much more over my 48mm over a 70.3? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [smallhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, in this order, to get the most bang for your buck:
- get a bike fit
- get an aero helmet
- wrap your wheels in quality rubber, with latex tubes, inflated to the appropriate pressure
- evaluate (and update if necessary) what kit you're wearing
- clean up your cockpit (cable management)
- go with 90mm front wheel, disc rear wheel

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hit the majors. The P2 has a crappy cockpit, so the Tririg upgrade there is huge. And, the Tririg brakes are always a win. I would get a disc or disc cover for the back, another speed win. Lastly, the P2 has dirty cable routing. There are some mods to reroute the cable so it is not hanging in the wind as badly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have Spinergy four spoke wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no they are the bladed spoke model
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks slowtwitchers

forum has been great learning experience
just trying to keep it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry last post cutoff

just trying to not get too much information overload by reading all the great info on this forum

thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good post here. Curious... I just recently purchased a set of 60mm carbon wheels for my bike, with conti 5k's and latex tubes. I am coming from an basic aluminum wheel with nothing special Vittoria tires and butyl tubes. My question for you I guess, is how much "faster" did you get with your wheels? Thanks.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your average speed, what average speeds are you doing for a flat 70.3 bike course for example?
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Depends on your average speed, what average speeds are you doing for a flat 70.3 bike course for example?

Don't really want to derail the OP's thread, but I haven't competed in an triathlon yet. New to the sport, so just starting to get some of the basic stuff for my bike. I have done quite a bit of training, and I am in generally great fitness coming from a pretty extensive running background. So for sake of conversation, let's say an average speed of 20.0mph.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no worries about derailing here.

I am just getting back into tris since high school 30 year layoff started training in july so about 5 months in. Had frozen shoulder since february and have only done 1 tri 1 aquathon 3 sprint duathlons and 5ks and 20k bike tts
Finally able to swim consistently 3 days a week

my improvement with the carbons was from 36:53 to 34:25 over 20k but this might be misleading due to another month of improved fitness. if i had to guess this was about 50/50 so maybe a savings of 1min to 115 over 20k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Masnart wrote:
Good post here. Curious... I just recently purchased a set of 60mm carbon wheels for my bike, with conti 5k's and latex tubes. I am coming from an basic aluminum wheel with nothing special Vittoria tires and butyl tubes. My question for you I guess, is how much "faster" did you get with your wheels? Thanks.

My response is based on doing hundreds of training loops on a flat 3-mile looped course right outside my front door (very handy when the kids need me to be nearby). Not exactly the Chung Virtual Elevation method, but I've ridden it enough to see obvious trends.

Swapping from box-section training wheels with butyl tubes to 90mm front and disc rear with latex (while keeping helmet, clothing, wind, temp, power, and everything else the same) will usually translate to about a 1 mph increase in average speed. I can usually get another 1 mph increase if I ditch the road helmet and Jersey and swap to a TT lid and skinsuit.

In other words, I get about a 2 mph increase when going from training set-up to race-trim...if power stays the same.

Interesting side note related to rolling resistance - last summer, they milled the old weathered road surface and laid brand new asphalt on my loop. That fresh, buttery smooth, pristine, jet-black surface gave me nearly a half mph bump.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good data. Thanks for the response!

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There have been more than a few 'how to go faster' articles...

Biggest bang for the bucks? Aero helmet. Right after that is tight clothing that doesn't flap in the wind. After that is an aero position. THEN wheels.

...but people thing wheels are what make you fast. Riding more and doing intervals are what make you fast.

If you already have an aero position, an aero helmet, the next step is a coach. If you really don't have the $$, get a book on tri- training. Having a plan, ANY plan will help. I'm not much of a triathlete, but I AM a decent cyclist and so-so runner. I've used Friel's book(s) with success over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/..._bCR0RJ-soSCDKCKR97t These are basically ads, but they explain stuff too

HTH

M
Quote Reply
Re: carbon wheels-question [Gummee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback
I think all that is left for my bike setup is pulling the trigger on the tririg cockpit including omega brake

The main theme for me is consistency. Im sure everyone has their peaks and valleys in training. Overtraining, injuries, soreness, sickness, etc

I love Sebi Kienle's quote of Its a fine line of being fit vs f--ked so true......

Getting a coach is definitely on my radar

Otherwise trying to stick to my training plan has been pretty successful so far
Quote Reply