Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
carbon shoe & stress fracture?
Quote | Reply
Just curious on people's thoughts on this.

I bought endorphin pro and ran in them for a few (4-5) training sessions (6-7 tempo miles) to prep for a 70.3, but most runs I wore other training shoes. These are my first pair of carbon shoes.

They seemed fine, but my left foot felt a little funny for portions of those runs which I attributed to my superfeet inserts. I really don't know what it was.

Then I used the Pros in the 70.3 and decided not to use my superfeet inserts. First time race day changes are never a great idea. Felt that same funny feeling in my foot during the race but like the other runs it was short lived.

After the race I was limping badly and as it turns out, I have a stress fracture in my fibia.

The fracture could be attributed to a ton of things, but I am wondering if maybe the Pro isnt the right shoe for me or maybe carbon shoes in general or was my body so used to the inserts that it didnt adapt well to not having it? I dont really know how to evaluate whether a shoe is a problem for me as I've never had a problem with any pair of shoes I've owned before. I am not particular to any brand and have had many different pairs over the years.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a Dr. and have never stayed at a Holiday Inn, but in my experience going through two stress fractures in college (tibia and femur), they could be blamed on poor training habits over improper shoes. The summer I got my tibial stress fracture I was running solely on a converted railroad, nice and soft crushed limestone. Just ran too much too often. Femur was from too many pounding summer miles as well. In both cases, I ramped up the mileage way too quick.

I will say, after my first 5k in my Vaporfly's, I had some foot pain that I've never had before. Decided no more carbon plated shoes for racing unless I've trained in them. I've been doing tempo workouts in the Endorphin Speed, and the nylon plate does seem to be less "intrusive" than the carbon plate in the Nike's. I could see a scenario where a carbon plated shoe could expediate a stress fracture, but it was probably already forming in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if anything the carbon shoes protect more against stress fractures. So the question now is, are you eating enough? Under eating is main cause of most my stress fractures and other injuries
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
if anything the carbon shoes protect more against stress fractures. So the question now is, are you eating enough? Under eating is main cause of most my stress fractures and other injuries

Carbon shoes increase the rate of force development in the tissues, which is a primary cause of stress fractures.

Undereating can definitely contribute to the likelihood of stress fracture, and other injury, but is not causative, and given the timing of the stress fracture... it's low on the list of things I'd check.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
I could see a scenario where a carbon plated shoe could expediate a stress fracture, but it was probably already forming in the first place.

Definitely.

Stress fracture incidence increase was my first prediction when I built my own carbon fiber sprint spike plates in 2012.

Stress fractures aren't going to happen to everyone and most folks won't have any issue at all. But I bet greater frequency of stress fracture hit the news in 2-4 years.

Perfect storm for creating stress fracture with a carbon plated shoe:
  1. Make a wholesale switch from non-carbon shoes to carbon plated shoes with no transition period between the two shoes
  2. Maintain or increase intensity or volume, or both.

I think my exact words to my wife when I saw these hit the market were: "We should invest in bone scan equipment."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a pair myself (well May). I did 2 training runs in them (2 and 3 weeks out). One about 6 miles just to see, and the next was a 15 miler final long run before taper for Choo 70.3. Then I raced in them.

To me, they felt like running in mud for the first few miles, but the paces definitely seem faster and easier IMO. I did not have any issues during or after any run. My prior trainer/racer was the Saucony Ride, so no real support there. I did use Superfeet inserts until about 4 years ago as well, but have not in quite some time. I understand the force generation point, but with the foam soles too, they feel so cushy to counteract the firmness of the plate. They do feel like you are falling forward even when standing still though. Love them.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly what I thought when I first ran in a pair. I remember noticing the effect of the carbon plate, but also felt like I was coming down a bit harder, or at least, more force was being exerted through the shoe and into my foot/leg. Hard to describe, but I decided it would be wise to really limit the mileage and rotate them in slowly. I was pretty fortunate to escape HS/college without any major lasting issues from my stress fractures, but they ALWAYS occurred early in the season when we ramped up the mileage too fast. Never saw any guys getting them mid or late season, even when the mileage was above 100 per week. Transition to track was also a bit dangerous because you're doing more speedwork and track workouts in spikes.

I also think that these new super shoes have some folks running harder than they normally would. Another recipe for stress fractures and other injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you taking at least 5000 IU of D3 per day?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re size is 11.5 US, then it’s definitely the shoes and you need to send them to me right away. Whatever you do, do not run in them again, send them immediately. Pm for the address.

Seriously, hope you heal quickly and figure out the main cause.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I definitely did not undereat throughout my training. I kept joking with my wife that the hidden cost of tri training is the grocery bill.

I followed my training plan to a t and really dont think I amped up mileage too quickly. I really should have done a few more training runs in them before the race and worked them in over a longer period of time.

I am not blaming the shoe, but really just trying to figure out the cause if possible to avoid in future. Wondering if others had any similar experiences with carbon shoes. Only two new things were the carbon shoes and lack of wearing the inserts on race day. Could have just been the overall training load catching up with me, but that seems suspect to happen on exactly race day.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
every other day only cause thats what the bottle said to do.
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooohhhh, so close. 11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously on the nutrition front, you may think you are eating enough but still be under-eating. Have you gotten any bloodwork done recently? The fibula is a weird one to fracture too, usually it would be a foot bone, femur, or tibia if the bones are otherwise healthy.

If bloodwork looks okay, you are probably right about ramping up mileage in the shoes too quick. On the other hand, if the bloodwork has any abnormalities (eg. iron, hormones, etc.) now is the time to address that (while you are recovering and not running)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you a real doctor??? Also what tissue?

If so you would have a study showing that a carbon plate on a shoe "increase the rate of force development in the tissues "

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

I'm living proof that you can eat lots and still get stress fractures..........lol. I'd say my weight has contributed to them........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
every other day only cause thats what the bottle said to do.

“The Endocrine Society Practice Guidelines recommend that up to 10,000 IUs daily was safe for adults.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC5402701/

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: carbon shoe & stress fracture? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

If so you would have a study showing that a carbon plate on a shoe "increase the rate of force development in the tissues "

Haha shots fired! Hoping you're trolling. But in case not, and for the peanut gallery:

"Real" as in "medical?" If this, then no, I'm not a real Dr.

Or "real" as in actually has PhD and extensive study in relevant field? If this, then yes, I suppose I'm a real Dr. I generally include the "Dr" in my screennames to have reasonable levels of instant credibility on topics on which I opine. I can see that it has backfired in this case.

Triathletetoth wrote:
Also what tissue?

Any tissue involved in the transmission of force through the stance limb during running gait, including primarily muscles, tendons, and bones, but also ligaments, fascia, and a few other things I'm likely leaving out.

Triathletetoth wrote:

Yes, if this were expert witness testimony, I certainly would.

Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Jul 23, 21 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
but my left foot felt a little funny .......

........and as it turns out, I have a stress fracture in my fibia.

Tibia or Fibula?

Also.... can't really understand why you'd feel a lower leg fracture in your foot rather than your lower leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
Just curious on people's thoughts on this.

I bought endorphin pro and ran in them for a few (4-5) training sessions (6-7 tempo miles) to prep for a 70.3, but most runs I wore other training shoes. These are my first pair of carbon shoes.

They seemed fine, but my left foot felt a little funny for portions of those runs which I attributed to my superfeet inserts. I really don't know what it was.

Then I used the Pros in the 70.3 and decided not to use my superfeet inserts. First time race day changes are never a great idea. Felt that same funny feeling in my foot during the race but like the other runs it was short lived.

After the race I was limping badly and as it turns out, I have a stress fracture in my fibia.

The fracture could be attributed to a ton of things, but I am wondering if maybe the Pro isnt the right shoe for me or maybe carbon shoes in general or was my body so used to the inserts that it didnt adapt well to not having it? I dont really know how to evaluate whether a shoe is a problem for me as I've never had a problem with any pair of shoes I've owned before. I am not particular to any brand and have had many different pairs over the years.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

It is interesting.
My coach, an ex pro duathlete and physiotherapist thinks they are seeing a lot more stress related injuries since carbon plated shoes were released.
I had a nasty one last year, in a weird spot, which we cannot figure out the cause of.
N=1 is not causative evidence, and there will be significant bias in terms of reporting etc, but it would make for a very interesting study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:

Haha shots fired! Hoping you're trolling. But in case not, and for the peanut gallery:

"Real" as in "medical?" If this, then no, I'm not a real Dr.

Or "real" as in actually has PhD and extensive study in relevant field? If this, then yes, I suppose I'm a real Dr. I generally include the "Dr" in my screennames to have reasonable levels of instant credibility on topics on which I opine. I can see that it has backfired in this case.

Triathletetoth wrote:
Also what tissue?

Any tissue involved in the transmission of force through the stance limb during running gait, including primarily muscles, tendons, and bones, but also ligaments, fascia, and a few other things I'm likely leaving out.

Triathletetoth wrote:

Yes, if this were expert witness testimony, I certainly would.

No shots fired. You just make it look like you know what you are talking about but if anyone reads the post you have no evidence just a DR beside your name. plus don't state and facts to support your N=1.

Please explain how ALL tissues including things you are leaving out "increase the rate of force development in the tissues "

Due to carbon fiber shoe?
Then why do we not see more stress fractures in hockey players with a rock solid soles?
Then why do we see more stress fracture in Ballerina's with no carbon shoes?

If anything the carbon shoe allows shitty runners to log more miles and due to them trying harder to go faster So more impacts under poor skill. not the shoe at all.

much like a wetsuit the shoe makes to easier so you tend to do more and over do errors which leads to injuries.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
are you a real troll or do you just play one on ST?

thanks for the helpful info on why other types of athletes dont get stress fractures.

ironically, i once asked you to provide evidence/articles about a suggestion for improvement that you suggested, not to be snarky but because I was curious to learn. you never provided that.

thanks for the suggestion that I am a shitty runner. i only ran in those carbon plated shoes 4-5 total times. i wasn't trying to run in them regularly so i could seem/feel faster. i ran in my training shoes >98% of my runs. if anything maybe I should have run in them more over a longer period of time before using them in a race.

i asked my original question because of a handful of conversations with local running/tri friends and was curious if there was a large number of people out there with a similar experience. if they are an issue (for some of us) it will take time for those N1's to add up and ultimately maybe research/investigation comes out about it. MAYBE.

a few different articles that i read about stress in the fibula, stated that it is more unique to get a stress fracture there and that in addition to food consumption, anemia, surface type, too much volume, too quick increases that shoe choice can also be an issue in this. unfortunately those sites didn't really expand on what they meant by shoe choice as playing a role.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't reply to you because there was not enough information for to form a proper conclusion.

You ran a few times in a shoe and then got hurt and are looking that it maybe the shoe??

I don't know your bw wt, run style, run speed, 70.3 terrian. bike and swim skill to get to the run with enough energy to run well.

Do bikers blame there tires for their back and neck pain. Do swimmers blame their wetsuits for a froze shoulder.

Only some because it is easier then blaming themselves.

I am sorry you got a stress fracture it likley would have happened no matter what shoes you had.

lastly force applied to the body and bones doesn't come from the shoe or the ground it comes from your weight with gravity and your limb position. try holding 30 lbs near your heart then take your arm out in front of you straight.

That increase stress isn't the gloves you were to hold the weight with. it was gravity and levels.

I didn't focus on you because I don't train you or know how you move, but you can't make up carbon fiber shoes increase stress fractures. ?????? just stupid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I didn't reply to you because there was not enough information for to form a proper conclusion.

So you replied and questioned someone else's credentials. COOL.

You ran a few times in a shoe and then got hurt and are looking that it maybe the shoe??

I am not blaming the shoe. I was simply curious if others were experiencing issues with this newer technology that may impact some of our form and bodies differently than what we have used for years.

I don't know your bw wt, run style, run speed, 70.3 terrian. bike and swim skill to get to the run with enough energy to run well.

Do bikers blame there tires for their back and neck pain. Do swimmers blame their wetsuits for a froze shoulder.

Only some because it is easier then blaming themselves.

I am sorry you got a stress fracture it likely would have happened no matter what shoes you had.

Yeah maybe. I felt great throughout training. Never had an ounce of pain in that area. That doesn't mean it hadn't been building over time and just happened to fracture on race day. Something just didn't feel right about that shoe and I certainly made a mistake not wearing my inserts which my body was used to.

lastly force applied to the body and bones doesn't come from the shoe or the ground it comes from your weight with gravity and your limb position. try holding 30 lbs near your heart then take your arm out in front of you straight.

That increase stress isn't the gloves you were to hold the weight with. it was gravity and levels.

This is a terrible comparison. Apples and oranges. Where does all of the weight with gravity land when running and do carbon shoes impact limb position (in me/others)? Lots of factors and I do think shoes can be one of them, they certainly are when people run in overused shoes.

I didn't focus on you because I don't train you or know how you move, but you can't make up carbon fiber shoes increase stress fractures. ?????? just stupid.

Feel free to never focus on me. Focus on yourself and your athletes. I wasn't trying to make that up and two other people on this thread wonder (curious people) if over time there will be an increase in stress fractures in the near future. Time will tell and the curious will study to add to a body of knowledge. Causality may be found and maybe not given all of the variables with stress fractures. But maybe you already know, you certainly at least make yourself sound like it.

You have forgotten more about this field than I'll ever know. I would only encourage you to use your knowledge to be helpful on this forum instead of being condescending and actively insulting people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your reply offer no help towards a conclusion of why you got a stress fracture. Just focusing on the wrong issue again. Self reflection is hard I know but it is the only way to fix the issue. I am just to much of a straight shooter rather hit you with the truth then kiss you with a lie.

Good luck and don't punch the earth it ain't bugging.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't talk about the shoes but I can talk pretty intelligently about stress fractures. Disclaimer - my phd is in math, but I have a BS in exercise science.

I'm sorry about the fracture. Many hugs.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply

Prev Next