Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cadence in new bike ?
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a new bike which has different gearing than my old entry level bike. I seem to produce much more power and speed on the new bike -- I attribute that to better gears and proper fit -- but I seem to pedal about 5 - 10 RPMs less than I normally did in my old bike in similar gear ranges.

I know I should strive to get those RPMs up, but will this be something that just comes around as I get more acustomed to the new ride or do I need to play with the gearing to find the old RPM range.

FYI -- In my old bike I easily pedaled in the 95 - 105+ range in most middle to big gears in both the small and big ring. In the new bike, I cannot maintain 90+ for an extended period in the middle gears yet and usually stay around 85 - 90 -- although my speed is up by about 1.5 - 2 MPH.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: cadence in new bike ? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, that's pretty interesting. Maybe you aren't a big cadence rider. I'm not. My ideal cadence seems to be 88 r.p.m. On the other hand though, depending on your goals, you might be better off trying to maintain your previous cadence. This is interesting. I'm not sure what to say. I wish I could see you pedal on a Computrainer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: cadence in new bike ? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first is the obvious, are you trying to spin in the same gear ratios? Compare apples to apples (gear ratios to gear ratios? that doesnt sound as good) Next, you've said this bike fits differently, i've read that it can take up to 600 miles of riding in a new position for your body to adapt to that new position. One reason not to tweak your position the night or week before a race.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
how about this possibility... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the cranks longer on this new bike? That could result in a slower cadence with more speed.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply