In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
We, means anyone who understands the laws of thermodynamics.

I see. So IOW, everyone posting to this thread but you.
Explain to me how the MMF model (the one that doesn't lose any energy) does not violate the second law of thermodynamics. Once you have done that satisfactorily I will go away. :-) Looking forward to this explanation very much.

That's easy: because it is hypothetical pedagological construct in which is assumed a priori that the 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply.

Good bye. :-)
So, your comment in post #128 in this thread in which you said: " Please tell me that you simply overlooked his claim #1!" to Tom A., when he said he agreed with me when I said in part: "1. It will take less energy to make them go around one revolution as the up and down excursion of the thigh is less by twice the crank length difference. . . ." is based upon your analysis of a model upon which "is is assumed a priori that the 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply"?

Is this correct?
Yes. That is, your assertion that reducing one's cadence automatically results in less energy "lost" to physical (versus physiological) processes is incorrect, as no such losses exist, at least as you envision them.
Are you saying that no such losses exist or that they only don't exist as I envision them? If you agree that they exist but they don't exist as I envision them perhaps you could enlighten all of us how they do exist.

Your contention is that cycling efficiency is <<100% because of major energy losses "downstream" of when the legs are set in motion, and that this has a physical basis that allows you accurately quantify the effects of cadence. In reality, however, such losses (which are due to friction in joints, hysteresis in limbs, etc.) are very small (i.e., >90% of the energy "invested" in the legs is recovered at the pedal), and do not vary in such a predictable manner with cadence as you envision. In fact, if you were pedaling in a complete vacuum with infinitely-stiff limbs and completely friction-free joints (and a locked ankle), there would no "downstream" energy losses at all, regardless of the cadence. If there were, it would represent a violation of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics (which is why Tom A. is simply the latest of many who for years have been asking you "where does the energy go, Frank?").
Actually, you misstate my position but that is not so important here. So, again, from your statement above let me clarify your position for everyone here. You think it is possible to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics when riding a bicycle if we could just make some physically impossible components. That is, you think it is possible to transfer energy between two elements on the bike (by definition, transferring energy means they are not in equilibrium) without energy loss. Does your "no loss" model also require infinitely stiff chain links and infinitely stiff wheels, and frame, and any other component that might store this energy variation?

And, you criticize me for simply stating that, in the real world, such losses actually exist and are part of the whole when trying to explain the efficiency drop between the muscles and the wheel. LOL.

I think this thread makes up for my misunderstanding of how speed varies going around a track when I was thinking about the speed of the center of mass rather than the speed of the wheel. We are even, more than even I think. LOL

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

I wrote: "Why wouldn't we deny a variation?"
You replied: "So, while I would expect everyone to agree that there was a variation, I could not guarantee it."

I wrote: "... even for 100% hysteresis loss."
You replied: "Well, you are describing a perfect spring."

I wrote: "I only mention this to help disabuse you of the notion that you have found something that several who have training and practical experience in this kind of analysis are missing..."
You replied: "Seems to me you have come around to this point of view."

I wrote: "Why must one expect this?"
You replied: "Huh? Expect what?"
In this case my text did not make sense, although you could have deduced from the context that I left out the word 'not'.

I wrote: "No. Tom want you to demonstrate an understanding of basic physics before going on."
You wrote: "No, Tom is simply being recalcitrant."

Overall, I would say that your reading comprehension has become as poor as your grasp of physics. When communication itself is compromised, there is no point in continuing.

As I said before, three strikes and you're out.

You have repeatedly made groundless (and ridiculous) assertions and ducked the question when pressed, whether by not even understanding the objection or by speaking about something else or positing some new outlandish distraction. You have contributed no analytical or experimental work to this thread, except to check my math (which I've welcomed). What others have provided, you have distorted. From the height of your erroneous arrogance it is easy to dismiss the legitimate words and work of others, and pretend that the onus is on them to persuade you because you haven't changed your mind yet. Suggestions for 'easy' experiments have poured forth (some flawed), but you have not done the work to test your novel theories. In short, others must tirelessly defend the axioms of physics, whereas you have no accountability for your errors.

My advice is to take a college freshman level course in statics and dynamics, and keep re-taking it until you score over 95% (just to be sure you mastery is broad enough to rid you of your misconceptions). Then come back and discuss with the other intelligent people on this thread. The only way you can regain the respect lost during the course of this thread is to admit how wrong and warped you have been. I am not as concerned that you are wrong with respect to the facts of physics, as that in your wrongness you are oblivious to the possibility that you could be so wrong. I have no problem with a blind man bumping into things; it is something else when the blind man claims that everyone else can't see.
Last edited by: pedaller: Oct 26, 09 13:45
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [pedaller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank,

I wrote: "Why wouldn't we deny a variation?"
You replied: "So, while I would expect everyone to agree that there was a variation, I could not guarantee it."

I wrote: "... even for 100% hysteresis loss."
You replied: "Well, you are describing a perfect spring."

I wrote: "I only mention this to help disabuse you of the notion that you have found something that several who have training and practical experience in this kind of analysis are missing..."
You replied: "Seems to me you have come around to this point of view."

I wrote: "Why must one expect this?"
You replied: "Huh? Expect what?"
In this case my text did not make sense, although you could have deduced from the context that I left out the word 'not'.

I wrote: "No. Tom want you to demonstrate an understanding of basic physics before going on."
You wrote: "No, Tom is simply being recalcitrant."

Overall, I would say that your reading comprehension has become as poor as your grasp of physics. When communication itself is compromised, there is no point in continuing.

As I said before, three strikes and you're out.

You have repeatedly made groundless (and ridiculous) assertions and ducked the question when pressed, whether by not even understanding the objection or by speaking about something else or positing some new outlandish distraction. You have contributed no analytical or experimental work to this thread, except to check my math (which I've welcomed). What others have provided, you have distorted. From the height of your erroneous arrogance it is easy to dismiss the legitimate words and work of others, and pretend that the onus is on them to persuade you because you haven't changed your mind yet. Suggestions for 'easy' experiments have poured forth (some flawed), but you have not done the work to test your novel theories. In short, others must tirelessly defend the axioms of physics, whereas you have no accountability for your errors.

My advice is to take a college freshman level course in statics and dynamics, and keep re-taking it until you score over 95% (just to be sure you mastery is broad enough to rid you of your misconceptions). Then come back and discuss with the other intelligent people on this thread. The only way you can regain the respect lost during the course of this thread is to admit how wrong and warped you have been. I am not as concerned that you are wrong with respect to the facts of physics, as that in your wrongness you are oblivious to the possibility that you could be so wrong. I have no problem with a blind man bumping into things; it is something else when the blind man claims that everyone else can't see.
So, just to check to see if my reading comprehension is still inadequate, as far as you are concerned, or to whether I have improved some, I take it from what you wrote that you agree with Tom A. and Dr. Coggan that the second law of thermodynamics does not apply to the MMF model or to cyclists in general, is that correct?

Could you recommend a good physics or dynamics course that teaches that this law can be violated so I can come to the same understanding as the rest of you. I feel so alone and stupid.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Frank day:
It makes no difference if the "crankshaft forces" are not entirely tangential in that system because it cannot affect the efficiency or the transfer of energy. Whereas in the biological (muscle driven) system there is a cost to having a generated force without movement. Isometric contraction is not free so non-tangential forces affect efficiency.
Frank, I totally agree with you on this, and I think all others who have participated in this debate: isometric contractions, (and contractions at very low speed), waste energy. However, I thought that the arguing was whether a mechanical system of weights similar to a human leg connected to a bicycle (MMF), could turn the up and down of the thigh in speed variations of the bike with or without losses. According to your previous posts, this system would gradually slow down at a predictable rate, even if there was no friction. You were supporting this point with the fact that force was not parallel to motion. But now you say that a crankshaft is perfectly efficient even if the forces are not entirely tangential. So I guess we are all in agreement?

Giovanni Ciriani
http://www.GlobusSHT.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
from your statement above let me clarify your position for everyone here. You think it is possible to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics when riding a bicycle if we could just make some physically impossible components.

No, because if such components (including body parts) existed, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics need not be violated.

In Reply To:
you think it is possible to transfer energy between two elements on the bike (by definition, transferring energy means they are not in equilibrium) without energy loss.

Not in reality, no. Rather, the point of the pedagological construct is to help you recognize that you are barking up the wrong tree in claiming that there is an obligatory energy loss during pedaling that varies with the square of the cadence.

In Reply To:
Does your "no loss" model also require infinitely stiff chain links and infinitely stiff wheels, and frame, and any other component that might store this energy variation?

Obviously the frame, crank, b.b. spindle, and pedals would have to be infinitely stiff for the system to be "lossless", but the rest of the drivetrain is really irrelevant as the basic physics are the same regardless of whether there is a chain or not.

In Reply To:
you criticize me for simply stating that, in the real world, such losses actually exist and are part of the whole when trying to explain the efficiency drop between the muscles and the wheel.

No. I criticize you for not realizing that such losses are 1) quite minor, 2) are not related to the cadence in any simple manner, and 3) do not exist at all in the frictionless, infinitely stiff, pedaling-in-a-vacuum hypothetical model. The latter is most important, as it illustrates your lack of understanding of simple physics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could you recommend a good physics or dynamics course...so I can come to the same understanding as the rest of you. I feel so alone and stupid.

I recommend ESS 3093, as I think it more at your level than ESS 3096:

http://www.acs.utah.edu/...log/crsdesc/ess.html
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Could you recommend a good physics or dynamics course...so I can come to the same understanding as the rest of you. I feel so alone and stupid.

I recommend ESS 3093, as I think it more at your level than ESS 3096:

http://www.acs.utah.edu/...log/crsdesc/ess.html

I would recommend something like MEEN128 before either of those 2...

http://www.marquette.edu/...graduate/Course.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
from your statement above let me clarify your position for everyone here. You think it is possible to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics when riding a bicycle if we could just make some physically impossible components.

No, because if such components (including body parts) existed, the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics need not be violated.

In Reply To:
you think it is possible to transfer energy between two elements on the bike (by definition, transferring energy means they are not in equilibrium) without energy loss.

Not in reality, no. Rather, the point of the pedagological construct is to help you recognize that you are barking up the wrong tree in claiming that there is an obligatory energy loss during pedaling that varies with the square of the cadence.

In Reply To:
Does your "no loss" model also require infinitely stiff chain links and infinitely stiff wheels, and frame, and any other component that might store this energy variation?

Obviously the frame, crank, b.b. spindle, and pedals would have to be infinitely stiff for the system to be "lossless", but the rest of the drivetrain is really irrelevant as the basic physics are the same regardless of whether there is a chain or not.

In Reply To:
you criticize me for simply stating that, in the real world, such losses actually exist and are part of the whole when trying to explain the efficiency drop between the muscles and the wheel.

No. I criticize you for not realizing that such losses are 1) quite minor, 2) are not related to the cadence in any simple manner, and 3) do not exist at all in the frictionless, infinitely stiff, pedaling-in-a-vacuum hypothetical model. The latter is most important, as it illustrates your lack of understanding of simple physics.
As I was riding my bike this afternoon I was trying to distill your thoughts into a short sentence or two. This is what I came up with.

"As long as I can use materials that do not exist I can ignore the 2nd law of thermodynamics in analyzing problems and then apply what I learn in that analysis directly to real world problems. Trust me."

Is that a fair condensing of what you have said above?

Then you write: "I criticize you for not realizing that such losses are 1) quite minor, 2) are not related to the cadence in any simple manner, and 3) do not exist at all in the frictionless, infinitely stiff, pedaling-in-a-vacuum hypothetical model. The latter is most important, as it illustrates your lack of understanding of simple physics."

Awhile back you were criticizing me for not realizing that these losses were non-existent, not that they were quite minor. And, then, of course, you give us nothing to support your contention that the losses are "quite minor" (compared to what?: chain losses, rolling resistance of different tires, an undimpled aero helmet? adding 20 grams in bike weight?). Regarding your second point: Exactly how do these energy losses relate to the cadence if you don't believe it is in a simple manner (like the square of the cadence)? And, in your third point you then go back to criticizing me for not believing that it is ok to ignore the 2nd law of thermodynamics when looking at a real world energy conservation problem.

I think your problem here is you are simply incapable of admitting you were wrong, especially when it involves an argument with me. I suggest you take a walk over from the exercise science part of your school to the physics (or engineering) side and make that argument about how to get around that pesky, inconvenient, 2nd law of thermodynamics when analyzing an energy conservation problem and see what they say.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Andrew Coggan:
I recommend ESS 3093

Tom A.:
I would recommend something like MEEN128
I do not understand why you both are advocating advanced coursework, when all that is needed is a basic Dynamics course like MEEN 020. I think that if Frank Day still does not understand our explanation, it is in part our fault for not making the explanation crystal clear. Proposing to look at the laws of thermodynamic doesn't do anything to clarify the subject matter. Probably we need simpler explanations of the type Dr. Richard Feynman used to propose to his students.

Giovanni Ciriani
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [gciriani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Frank day:
It makes no difference if the "crankshaft forces" are not entirely tangential in that system because it cannot affect the efficiency or the transfer of energy. Whereas in the biological (muscle driven) system there is a cost to having a generated force without movement. Isometric contraction is not free so non-tangential forces affect efficiency.

Frank, I totally agree with you on this, and I think all others who have participated in this debate: isometric contractions, (and contractions at very low speed), waste energy. However, I thought that the arguing was whether a mechanical system of weights similar to a human leg connected to a bicycle (MMF), could turn the up and down of the thigh in speed variations of the bike with or without losses. According to your previous posts, this system would gradually slow down at a predictable rate, even if there was no friction. You were supporting this point with the fact that force was not parallel to motion. But now you say that a crankshaft is perfectly efficient even if the forces are not entirely tangential. So I guess we are all in agreement?
I am happy that at least one person here agrees with me on at least one point I have made.

Actually, I think the "argument" has moved around a bit. One thing I was trying to get others to do was to account for all the losses in efficiency between the muscle and the wheel. Non-tangential forces is simply one of the losses.

This discussion has gone all over the place and it is possible that I mentioned non-tangential forces as evidence to support the contention that the MMF must slow down. That was a mistake on my part because I now realize the best argument is that failure to slow down violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics. This means there have to be losses. I theorize they are most likely coming from non-tangential forces but it doesn't matter if I am right or wrong on this thought because the second law says it has to slow down. If someone doesn't believe I am right regarding the source of the losses they should propose an alternative. What they can't do is say there are no losses.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Andrew Coggan:
I recommend ESS 3093

Tom A.:

I do not understand why you both are advocating advanced coursework, when all that is needed is a basic Dynamics course like MEEN 020. I think that if Frank Day still does not understand our explanation, it is in part our fault for not making the explanation crystal clear. Proposing to look at the laws of thermodynamic doesn't do anything to clarify the subject matter. Probably we need simpler explanations of the type Dr. Richard Feynman used to propose to his students.
Explain away. How is it the pumping thigh when connected to a rotating shaft can transfer energy back and forth between the two without loss, therefore violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

I am sure Feynman would have had no trouble explaining this to his students, or maybe he would. Anyhow, give it a go.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Oct 26, 09 16:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote:
Andrew Coggan:
I recommend ESS 3093

Tom A.:

Explain away. How is it the pumping thigh when connected to a rotating shaft can transfer energy back and forth between the two without loss, therefore violating the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

I am sure Feynman would have had no trouble explaining this to his students, or maybe he would. Anyhow, give it a go.
One more thing, it seems to me. If you want to make the argument that Coggan is making above that using perfectly rigid rods allows you to "violate" the 2nd law I guess that is ok but, because a perfectly rigid rod cannot absorb and release energy internally, such a modification then forces you to violate the first law. Either way, I look forward to hearing the Feynmanesque explanation as to how either of these is possible.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
Andrew Coggan:
I recommend ESS 3093

Tom A.:

Although MEEN 020 is a prerequisite of MEEN 128 (both of which are undergraduate courses), it doesn't get into the level of detail necessary to create the equations of motion for the system. So...I guess he should do both then :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote:
Andrew Coggan:
I recommend ESS 3093

Tom A.:

Although MEEN 020 is a prerequisite of MEEN 128 (both of which are undergraduate courses), it doesn't get into the level of detail necessary to create the equations of motion for the system. So...I guess he should do both then :-)
Since it appears all of you have taken these course it should be relatively simple for you to explain all of this to me and to the others lurking here. It is pretty simple. How is it possible for this system to work without energy loss without violating a fundamental "law" of thermodynamics? I don't see it but I am sure, based upon your response, this has been covered in these courses. So, please, let us all know. I probably wouldn't be able to understand but others here probably would be able to.

I know it is a lot easier to simply come here and simply suggest you know the answer and I, being incredibly stupid, couldn't possibly understand even if I did take those course but I am not going to let you get away with that. If you can't explain how it is possible here then I submit it is not possible and I am right.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I suggest you take a walk over from the exercise science part of your school to the physics (or engineering) side and make that argument about how to get around that pesky, inconvenient, 2nd law of thermodynamics when analyzing an energy conservation problem and see what they say.

Do you mean a problem something like this one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...um_%28mathematics%29

Quote:
A simple pendulum is an idealisation, working on the assumption that:

* The rod or cord on which the bob swings is massless, inextensible and always remains taut;
* Motion occurs in a 2-dimensional plane, i.e. the bob does not trace an ellipse.
* The motion does not lose energy to friction.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know it is a lot easier to simply come here and simply suggest you know the answer and I, being incredibly stupid, couldn't possibly understand even if I did take those course but I am not going to let you get away with that. If you can't explain how it is possible here then I submit it is not possible and I am right.

Here's the thing...we are first attempting to get you to understand the basics of the simplified, idealized model of the system before getting into the "nitty gritty" of the math involved in describing that system (not to mention then beginning to introduce the "parasitic losses" into the description)...but you can't even accept the underlying simplified assumptions, so what's the point in going further?

You insist that even if all of the elements were perfectly rigid, there was no friction at the joints, and that there was no air friction, if the system was set in motion and then "let go" it would STILL slowly contain less and less average KE over time...so again, WHERE IS THAT ENERGY GOING? Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only change form. To what form is that KE being converted??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I suggest you take a walk over from the exercise science part of your school to the physics (or engineering) side and make that argument about how to get around that pesky, inconvenient, 2nd law of thermodynamics when analyzing an energy conservation problem and see what they say.

Quote:

* The rod or cord on which the bob swings is massless, inextensible and always remains taut;
* Motion occurs in a 2-dimensional plane, i.e. the bob does not trace an ellipse.
The simple pendulum is not a machine. All the parts are in equilibrium. The only energy conversion that takes place is between kinetic and potential energy of the individual molecules. There is no energy transfer between the parts. Swinging back and forth using an idealized model does not cause an energy variation in the system which would violate the 1st law since all the kinetic energy changes that occur can be accounted for by potential energy changes. I accept that analysis as valid. Unfortunately for your position in this discussion though, it cannot be applied to the pedaling model.

--------------
Frank,
Last edited by: Frank Day: Oct 26, 09 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Quote:

The simple pendulum is not a machine. All the parts are in equilibrium. The only energy conversion that takes place is between kinetic and potential energy of the individual molecules. There is no energy transfer between the parts. Swinging back and forth using an idealized model does not cause an energy variation in the system which would violate the 1st law since all the kinetic energy changes that occur can be accounted for by potential energy changes. I accept that analysis as valid. Unfortunately for your position in this discussion though, it cannot be applied to the pedaling model.

And around the circle we go again...talk about calling ME recalcitrant...

How about this one then? Seems to me that there are some transferences of KE between the parts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You insist that even if all of the elements were perfectly rigid, there was no friction at the joints, and that there was no air friction, if the system was set in motion and then "let go" it would STILL slowly contain less and less average KE over time...so again, WHERE IS THAT ENERGY GOING? Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it can only change form. To what form is that KE being converted??
Such a system without loss is impossible. Where the loss is going is not important, the second law says it is impossible. The system requires energy transfer between the components of the system and the second law of thermodynamics says that since the parts are not in equilibrium (if the were there would be no energy transfer) entropy must increase which means energy is lost from the system. This is not the simple pendulum problem. While I would admit that a system that is thermodynamically impossible could be called a "simplified" system I would submit it is not a "good" or valid system for analysing this real life problem. Because of your "belief" in this model both you and Coggan (and I assume others) have mistakenly stated that the pedaling motion involves no energy loss, even in real life. At least Coggan now admits that is not true although he believes the losses are small (without any evidence to support that contention, I might add). Papadapalous has published that unloaded pedaling involves substantial losses but that somehow loading the bike fixes the problem. Such reasoning, in view of this thermodynamic problem, seems wishful thinking trying to make real life come in line with the "simplified" MMF model, which "everyone" knows to be true but we here at this thread now know to be impossible. This model has done nothing but lead "scientists" down the wrong garden path, IMHO.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Quote:

And around the circle we go again...talk about calling ME recalcitrant...

How about this one then? Seems to me that there are some transferences of KE between the parts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_pendulum
If the parts were not in equilibrium at the start then there would have to be energy losses over time due to the 2nd law. If they were in equilibrium at the start then I suspect not. It would depend upon the starting conditions I suppose.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Such a system without loss is impossible. Where the loss is going is not important, the second law says it is impossible. The system requires energy transfer between the components of the system and the second law of thermodynamics says that since the parts are not in equilibrium (if the were there would be no energy transfer) entropy must increase which means energy is lost from the system. This is not the simple pendulum problem. While I would admit that a system that is thermodynamically impossible could be called a "simplified" system I would submit it is not a "good" or valid system for analysing this real life problem. Because of your "belief" in this model both you and Coggan (and I assume others) have mistakenly stated that the pedaling motion involves no energy loss, even in real life. At least Coggan now admits that is not true although he believes the losses are small (without any evidence to support that contention, I might add). Papadapalous has published that unloaded pedaling involves substantial losses but that somehow loading the bike fixes the problem. Such reasoning, in view of this thermodynamic problem, seems wishful thinking trying to make real life come in line with the "simplified" MMF model, which "everyone" knows to be true but we here at this thread now know to be impossible. This model has done nothing but lead "scientists" down the wrong garden path, IMHO.

Ummm...I'll bet on the understanding of the underlying physics of the problem by Coggan, Martin, Papadapolous, etc. over your lack thereof any day.

You don't seem to understand the simple definitions of "system" or "equilibrium" very well either. The "system" is, basically speaking, where you decide to "draw the box around the mechanism", and "equilibrium" means that energy is neither flowing into or out of the "box". Inside the "box", it is possible for energy to be converted from one form to another, and/or back, ad infinitum without violating any laws of physics or thermodynamics since the underlying simplifying assumption is that none of the energy can be lost as heat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Frank Day:
If the parts were not in equilibrium at the start then there would have to be energy losses over time due to the 2nd law. If they were in equilibrium at the start then I suspect not. It would depend upon the starting conditions I suppose.
Frank, what do you mean by starting conditions in equilibrium? Velocity of all the elements of the pendulum = 0 ?

Giovanni Ciriani
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Since I suggested this example about 150 posts ago, I'm interested what you mean here. Could you please explain the difference of a double pendulum "in equilibrium" or not "in equilibrium" and how this effects the further behaviour of the double pendulum? And how does it "know" that it has been in equilibrium and that it must behave differently as a consequence? Thanks!
Last edited by: LidlRacer: Oct 26, 09 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I must say this entire thread has been quite amusing. I've been left scratching my head at numerous times and muttering "huh?" I particularly love the quote "The simple pendulum is not a machine." Sure it is. Look up machine in the dictionary and tell me what you find. I'll give you a hint - lots of references to mechanisms. The pendulum is a mechanism. A one-bar simple mechanism.

The thigh, lower leg, foot, crank system is nothing more than a 4-bar linkage. The point at the hip is constrained against translation and rotates in a plane parallel to the plane of the bike. Likewise the bottom bracket. In a frictionless system, give either the "hip" or the "bottom bracket" point an initial rotation via some external torque and you set the wheels in motion (pun intended). That system will continue to move per it's kinematic constraints ad infinitum unless acted on by some other external force/moment.

Now you can argue all you want about the kinematic constraints, but if the problem is properly constrained (i.e., it's not an unstable mechanism), you can fully define the kinematic motion of every point in the system, whether it's rigid, flexible, or a combination of flex and rigid. And you can "transfer energy" from one rigid member to another.

A whole industry has been established based on the above. You can purchase quite complex codes for performing multibody dynamics, be it flex, rigid, or flex/rigid. Look up a code like ADAMS as an example. But I guess companies like MSC are completely clueless and should have consulted with you first. Their codes must be all wrong....
Last edited by: tigermilk: Oct 26, 09 18:41
Quote Reply
Re: cadence [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Tigermik:
A whole industry has been established based on the above. You can purchase quite complex codes for performing multibody dynamics, be it flex, rigid, or flex/rigid. Look up a code like ADAMS as an example. But I guess companies like MSC are completely clueless and should have consulted with you first.
Are you an Adams user? If so, or if you know somebody who is, perhaps you could implement a simple model of thigh-leg-crank-and-wheel on the road and convince Frank.

Giovanni Ciriani
Quote Reply

Prev Next