Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

butterfly help
Quote | Reply
My 11 year old daughter has been squad swimming a while and going well in free and back. Her fly is her weakest stroke, but I think it could be her strongest. She has beautiful technique, until she breathes.. which gets worse as she tires. Her head comes up very high in the water, the more she tires the higher it comes and obviously this is like hitting the brakes, she really slow downs then as her legs are dropping etc

The head coach is very good and very technical. He's not overly concerned about her fly issues as he thinks as she gets older and stronger this flaw will disappear. She had a meet yesterday, so I will follow up with the coach this week, but I don't want to get too involved and start telling the coach how to do his job. So I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice?
Quote Reply
Re: butterfly help [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a good conversation w/ said coach and be the best damn dad for your kid. If the coach doesn't think it's a problem and has justified explanation for why he doesn't think it's a problem, probaly best to heed that advice.....let's him coach and you be the dad.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: butterfly help [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the age of your daughter, they have a lot of flexibility, small size and low power, but the power relative to size is still good. But Butterfly does have some physics in terms of drag, vs propulsion. While your daughter may be lifting her head high now (probably lifting head up late rather than early see image below) coach probably thinks that as power comes with age that goes away.

Head is alread moving downwards as hands move forward....her head may still be up at this point which is too late. It needs to already be looking forward while underwater at the cross on the far wall of the pool so that as the body undulates up, the breath can be taken as soon as mouth clears water

Then head goes back in quickly

As she generates more power from core and legs, I would think this will come naturally because of the forward velocity and associated timing, which is probably why the coach is not worrying yet.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 14, 21 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: butterfly help [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
You have a good conversation w/ said coach and be the best damn dad for your kid. If the coach doesn't think it's a problem and has justified explanation for why he doesn't think it's a problem, probaly best to heed that advice.....let's him coach and you be the dad.

cool thanks
Quote Reply
Re: butterfly help [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks Paul, some great tips!
Quote Reply