Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

budget build options
Quote | Reply
Hi all, first post here.

I have been doing more triathlon events lately and will continue to go further. so far i have been doing all my events with my road bike, hence, my plan is to keep my cx bike and try to sell the mtb and road bike to fund my next proper triathlon bike.

Im trying to do this with minimal budget, i will try to re-use as much spare bits at home as possible.

Currently i have narrowed down to two frameset choices: Cervelo P series or Argon 18 E117 tri+.

There is a good 500GBP ( 620usd~) difference between the two (may be more depends on final price of P series. E117 being cheaper in UK).

At home, i have some spare parts that can be used to build the bike:

zipp 302 front, 808 back (both disc brake)
campagnolo bullet ultra 80
Ultegra 6800 mechanical groupset (including crank)
rotor aldhu 30mm axle + 52/36 chainring + crankarms
ISM PN3.0 saddle
zipp vuka clip-on extensions.

i think the main focus is: A) Cervelo + zipp 302/808 + aldhu 30mm. B) E117 + bullet + ultegra crank (24mm fits BB86 better, or i can use the saving to get aldhu 24mm)

I will most likely to flock the rest of the ultegra groupset and the unused pair of wheels, then move onto either to sram etap 11 or ultegra di2.

i cant imagine there are alot of speed differene between the two, given both are workhorse-grade frame, so probably better off savng the money ad get a proper disc wheel (not many cheap disc brake disc wheel at the moment, which further push me towards E117...)

Thanks.
Last edited by: XE11: Sep 18, 19 23:51
Quote Reply
Re: budget build options [XE11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you go the cervelo route, you'll need some more expensive stuff related to the disc brakes. the argon frame comes with rim calipers already installed, then you'll just need simpler brake levers. if you're on a budget I'd say argon
Quote Reply
Re: budget build options [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, thats very good point. Lets hope i can sell my road bike and mtb fast enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The E-118 Disc Brake bike is coming out soon. Since you've got all that, it may be worth holding out there.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rarely ever see the words "Cervelo" and "Budget" in the same conversation. Just throwing that out there. I am sure that that the P Series is a solidly performing disc frameset, but there are probably many other options at a lower cost with comparable performance. If budget is your priority, then Argon 18 for the win.
Quote Reply