Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bronchitis, allergies, and asthma, help
Quote | Reply
I had a bout with bronchittis about 3-4 weeks ago. I got over it, I think.

Then I felt good for a week, then. I raced on Saturday, and when I got off my bike to run, the last two miles, I couldn't. I walked most of the last two miles.

I went to the doctor, he said it was allergies. Well I am now taking, singular(at night)asthma, I started clarinex on Monday, I am also taking flonase. Plus my inhaler, abuterol.

Well after 4 full days of being fully medicated, I still feel like someone is sitting on my chest. Mainly when I sit, teach, and when I run. Bike riding is ok but not great. Help! If anyone know of any tricks, sites to check about allergies and asthma, or what just works for them I would love to hear it. I don't know what to do! I have a race in 8 days and I would like to race but without all of the breathing difficulty.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: bronchitis, allergies, and asthma, help [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, a topic I am well versed in. First, do you have access to a pulmonologist? If so, run (metaphorically speaking) to see him/her. My GP was fine, but my (cyclist) lung doc ran me though some pulmonary function tests and changed my meds around. I've had no real problems except last year at Half Vineman when they were doing a controlled burn in the area.

Also, keeping on top of the allergies is important. I can easily tell when there is "heavy air". And, forget trying to run when it's cold (like East Coast or Midwest cold). I just can't do it.

FYI--I do Advair 2x/day, Singulair at night and then have a rescue inhaler that I carry on the run in races (Combivent).

You might want to shoot Julieanne White an email as she also has some experience in this area.

Good luck!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with allergies and asthma since I was four or five. My current strategy at 45 is to always stay on top of even minor allergic reactions by taking the generic Claritin (Alavert) daily. Here in inland SoCal, there's always something blowing around that would otherwise weaken me at least a little. We have a family friend who is a top-notch pulmonologist, and he just recommended a (pardon the expression) prophylactic dose of my inhaler (an Albuterol) before exercise.

What you may be experiencing now is a combination of not quite getting completely healthy yet, with a little pharmaceutical whiplash from the new meds. Different people do indeed react different to these different medicines. So working with a pulmonologist to get the mix right through trial and error sounds like a good approach.

As disappointing as it would be, I wouldn't consider doing a long race if I felt like it sounds you feel. I'd be apprehensive going into the race, which sometimes leads to asthma symptoms. And my ability to sustain an aerobic effort would be impaired so my time wouldn't be good. But if you could do the race feeling at least OK and then force yourself to cruise it, you could at least get value out of your entry fee. Asthma in particular has a significant mental component to it, so that's would worry me the most.

Hang in there, and good luck if you do decide to race.

Tom C
Quote Reply
Re: bronchitis, allergies, and asthma, help [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replys so far. I am going to do anything it takes to race on September 6th. I am hoping I get better and that I can train inspite of the breathing problems. Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Ironclm - see a pulmonologist. I managed allergic asthma for years with an inhaler, but I encountered something called restricted airway disease last year - two weekss before a marathon for which I was really, really ready. Symptoms as you say - something won't let go of your chest, and it's not impressed by inhalers. I suspect sick building syndrome was the source of a new irritant.

The 2nd doctor I saw finally put me on a combination that worked. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: bronchitis, allergies, and asthma, help [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Friday, after 4 days of allergy medicine and feeling like someone was sitting on my chest, I decided to stop taking it. The next morning I felt 50% better! Strange! I am still coughing but I feel a lot better, and lucky for me, the pollen,(ragweed) count is beginning to drop. Hey Flyebaby, what do you take for your allergies/asthma.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some asthma medications can actually give chest pain...
I changed to Floradil, took it once and had quite a bit of pain. stopped. took it once more 2 days later, pain again...
Something that (for me) really helps asthma are

1. maintaining good hydration status (this is actually very important)
2. nutrition

good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've dealt with allergies and asthma for most of my life. I've been fortunate that it hasn't been too severe, but every now and again I get some respiratory inflamation that knocks me out of shape for a few days. Usually when I get a severe attack like that, even after my airways clear up I still have some chest pain for a few days just from the previous strain of coughing and not being able to breath. Management of asthma can be different for different people, so it's best to work with your doctor to find the right treatment for you. In my case, I take an antihistamine during seasons where there are a large number of environmental agents that can precipitate an asthma attack. I always carry a rescue inhaler with me during pyhsical activity. Nutrition can also help. I've also done much better by avoiding milk and dairy products. They contain proteins that can increase and thicken mucus secretions. Other recommended foods to avoid or take in moderation are sugar, alcohol, red meat, junk food and the "unhealthy" fats. All the good stuff :(

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Flyebaby, what do you take for your allergies/asthma.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started this post a few days ago, and I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice. I talked to my Dr. this morning at church, and after a week of attempting to fight my asthma and my allergies, we think that I have had a reoccurence of bronchitis. So he started me on an antibiotic today. So in 6 days I am scheduled to do a sprint triathlon, assuming the antibiotics help, should I still do the triathlon on Saturday, even if it is at a slow pace. Tell me what you all think. I have already paid, plus this is my one year anniversary in triathlon. My first race ever was this race last year. I had a flat and had to run my bike in an extra 3 miles, and I am not a runner. I finished 3rd from last, so I still have something to prove.

Kevin
KYRocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Hey Flyebaby, what do you take for your allergies/asthma.

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's try this again.

Singulair and Rhinocort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you live in KY from you post name. I am suffering now as well, ragweed and mold counts are both high.

Chest is tight, postnasal drip, drained feeling.

Remember Louisville was just named the most allergenic city in the US, and the most air polluted city in the southeast, perfect for outdoor training! Add to the fact that when training your exposure is much greater than just being outside. Several guys I train with who have relocated here, now have problems. I think endurance sports can bring on this condition in people who might not otherwise have problems. Basically you are taking in way more allergen contaminated air than the average joe. This however is no reason to stop, in my case it’s a reason to fight on harder.

Try or investigate the following:

Look at Dan’s article on stealth asthma. Use it to understand the types of asthma, treatment options, inspiration and working with health care providers.

Find a good Allergist Asthma doctor. Several different combinations of drugs are now available that could make a huge difference. If fall is your bad time, medication just during Aug, Sept, & Oct might be your answer.

After seeing Dr. experiment with dosing and races. Different strategies work for different folks. My Dr. and I changed several medications this summer. Since then I am seeing run times I never thought were possible. Actual age group placing in a small local race.

If Dr.’s won’t work with you, keep pushing or find someone else. You must take complete control of all health care decisions, don’t take Dr.’s’ word as gospel. Lance found this out early on in his disease and it saved his life. Your Dr. must work with and understand your objectives.

I have suffered life long with asthma, allergies, and living in the Ohio Valley, email me outside the forum if you have any other questions.

Sbinzer@iglou.com

What race are you doing on the 6th?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a problem with breathlessness when running riding and swimming a few years back. I went to the quack, a friend of mine and she said I was FAT not FIT and that was my problem. She was right.

I'm now fitter and less fatter. I still get breathless when I work out though. I think that is the point however.

I have a runny nose and very thick saliva year round. I blow my nose and spit alot when I train and race. It grosses out everyone around me, and me too. It really limits my bunch riding! When my runny nose and thick saliva stops, I know I'm starting to dehydrate! I then increase my hydration and it starts up again.

I think it's allergies. I'm allregic to pain and hard work.

I would love to have the problem of breathlessness and allergies only part ofthe year. This year round crap is killing me.

TriDork

p.s. not all of the above was a "piss take"

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Kevin,
I am also an asthmatic, but my symptoms are currently under control and I am essentially drug free these days. The only time my lungs object is after 7+ hour training days on smoggy days and longer distance (half IM+) racing. I did go on Advair last summer for a bit and that seemed to be the most effective drug for me at the time.

I just wanted to mention the potential of a nutritional approach to asthma/allergies since polypharmacy isn't always the best thing for your body. I am a big fan of omega 3/6 essential fatty acid supplementation. I take mine in the form of Platinum Performance (platinumperformance.com), but I'm sure other forms would work just as well. The omegas apparently have a nice generalized anti-inflammatory effect and I think they are beneficial for performance as well. Although this approach is more of a long term dietary change, and you won't see results immediately, it's worth a try...and it's good for you.

Diana
Quote Reply
Re: bronchitis, allergies, and asthma, help [TriDi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went the Doctor again, today, for the 3rd time in 4 weeks. I found out that I still do have bronchitis, so I was put on a strong antibiotic, adavair(for asthma) and prednisone(a steriod) for about 5 days. I am also taking singular at night. I looks like I will be racing on Saturday. Hooray! Thanks for all of the help and support. Slowtwitch Rocks!

Kevin Jasper
Quote Reply