Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bikes vs cars - your challenge
Quote | Reply

As I was doing a tempo ride last night during rush hour, a thought occurred to me concerning the recent car vs. bike threads. How many times have you waved "thanks" to a car that slowed down to let you by, or just someone who *did* take the care to look twice and *did* see you instead of squishing you into jelly?

It is possible to give a polite wave or nod to someone and still stay in your interval heart rate range. Don't just reserve a thanks for the car that does something extraordinary, wave thanks to the car that waits its turn at a stop sign, etc.

I don't know if it is just the friendliness of Texans or something else, but say thanks every chance you get. On every ride I've got people who wait at intersections and wave me through or give me extra room, etc. This is even during rush hour!
Quote Reply
Re: bikes vs cars - your challenge [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I know you Texans think you're the friendliest of the bunch :) I too, a New Yorker (who I consider the most rude of the bunch) wave, nod or otherwise acknowledge those motorists who are kind and considerate to us light folk on two wheels. But a good and worthy post. I agree that our communication with motorists should not be limited to flipping birds and screaming obscenities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I agree. On a long ride earlier this week I travelled through tiny towns and on major 4-lane roads. This was during early morning commute and lunch hour traffic. Folks were very friendly and I thanked most of them with a wave as they passed in the other lane. I've noticed that when I am civil with the cars they are civil with me.

Of course there are plenty of times when some redneck just doesn't get it. I wave at him too. Makes him wonder. I think our biggest problem is that so many people (at least here in SC) are not informed with the laws regarding cyclists. I actually had one guy tell me to get on the sidewalk. I was doing about 25 at the time. Another told me (on a 4-lane road) that no one could get around me b/c I was hogging the road. He actually said, "You've got the whole edge over there". My edge was a 5 inch white line. I was riding in the right 1/3 of the road.

Jeremey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree completely. We tend to only remember the nasty/dangerous drivers because it's a more emotional experience for us **fear**. But I find very considerate drivers on every ride I do. If the cycling community goes a little further to show our appreciation rather than keep looking for the nasties, we could probably do a lot to improve our relationship with motorists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"have you waved "thanks" to a car that slowed down to let you by, or just someone who *did* take the care to look twice and *did* see you instead of squishing you into jelly? "

Always.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether I am driving, walking, running, or cycling. I always wave and say an audible "Thanks" whenever someone takes the time to look out for me, avoid me, stop for me, hold a door for me, or some other act of kindness.

No good deed should go without notice. This has nothing to do with cycling, cars or any of that. It is simply a matter of being grateful and showing respect for our fellow human beings. It shows a lot about a person in general.

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I run or ride, I always wave and say thanks to people in cars who don't run me over at intersections, even if they didn't go out of their way to avoid me. It may not reduce the number of people who try to kill me, but I hope that it creates some amount of goodwill towards runners and riders.

I am very careful, because I live in a fairly quiet area, and a lot of people don't pay attention to those red octagons on the street corners. They'll stop if they see you, but if they don't... Last week I had a slip when I was taking a wide left after checking all directions(it was a semi-blind T-intersection with stop signs), only to have a big black truck pull into the intersection without stopping and almost hit me. Instead of waving, I said, "Well F%$#@ STOP!!!" Not the best thing to do, but I thought I was about to die, so the diplomacy filter was down. I see quite a few bikers at that intersection when I am in my car, and I know at least two riders who usually cut the turn tight, and they would have gotten hit by the guy if it had been them.

Your idea is a good one. Let's try to build some goodwill with the drivers. It won't save everyone, but hopefully it will help.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: bikes vs cars - your challenge [kategt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with kategt, we really only remember the situations that put us in danger. I usually give a wave or nod or say thanks to someone that goes out of their way for me, but at the same time I make a notion to someone who puts me in danger. I try to live by the theory that roads are for automobiles a biker using them is taking the risk is his/her own hand. Now I don't let this get to my head and ride like a nervous deer in the headlights of a truck, I just respect what can happen and try to ride defensively. I would love to have every motorist treat a biker with respect as for the most part is mandated by law, but that doesn't happen. My previous post about bikes vs automobiles is an example of how I feel. If I weren't riding defensively the other day, I would have been toast yet the story didn't end with an accident that didn't happen the driver was probably reprimanded by the policeman for doing what she did. I do ride on the shoulders, stay out of the flow of traffic when possible, out of respect for cars and when I get in the flow of traffic I do thank the cars that respect me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i do the critical mass style of communication. i ride over cars stopped at red lights, shoot the finger at everybody and stop in the middle of intersections lift my bike above my head and scream "i'm here too!"

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply