Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike shoes - how often?
Quote | Reply
how often do you change them? I like to have my feet really tight in them. So I always get smaller sizes (usually 9 for running shoes and 8 or 8.5 for bike shoes)...however, no matter how small I take them (I usually get the larger size where my toes touch the end of the shoe) after 3-4 months of riding, they all end up being loose...

anyone else? so do you change them that often?
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes - how often? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I haven't noticed significant loosening, especially with the newer synthetic materials they use. That, plus all the straps and buckles keep my feet in pretty tight. I usually replace my bike shoes once they become worn/damaged/unbeleivably stinky. Usually once every couple of years.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes - how often? [trinewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I meant to say 'tri' bike shoes...not those with micrometric stuff and multiple straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I change them every 3 years or so... What shoes are you using?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tri shoes (Carnac) are a bit roomy after a few years, but put extra stuff under the custom insole.

My road shoes (Sidi Ergo 1) broke in...and never moved since!

It's gotten to the point where I'm wearing my road shoes for tri......

What brand/model are you having trouble with?
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes - how often? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tried everything...carnac, Pearl I, shimano, sidis...all get loose...
never happens for road shoes though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why use "tri" shoes for racing long-course? I think the better fit of a road shoe would more than make up for the extra time it takes to put on in terms of power output. Cam Widdoff wore his Shimano R215's at Kona. Stadler wore Diadora road shoes with buckles. I don't see the sense in "tri" shoes for anything over an Olympic. It's a toss-up for 1/2's, IMO.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the new Specialized tri shoes. These were designed with P. Reid. I have a pair and they fit well. I have not notices any loosening. If they do loosen, there are two straps on the shoe, one ate the toes and one at the top. That should allow you to dial in a fit if they get loose.
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes - how often? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may seem like a stupid question - but isn't the difference between tri shoes and road shoes just the number of straps? Do road bike shoes "fit" better?
Quote Reply
Re: bike shoes - how often? [september] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only number of straps, but also type of straps. The key is that tri-shoes usually have one or two velcro straps. These straps stretch over time, making it harder to get a good fit. Road shoes often have ratchet straps, which offer a better control over your fit, and which do not stretch.

Yes, they are usually built on the same last and with the same sole. Trishoes occassionally have "mesh" or "water ventilation holes," but nothing that really matters.

But the construction of the upper can be quite different. Road shoes also usually have a more sung construction with a tongue and some more material, since they don't expect you'll need to put them on while riding. Tri shoes are usually more "open" for ease of entry/exit.

The upper on most, if not all, road shoes will provide a superior fit to that of a tri shoe due to differences in construction and more/different straps.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Time Profil Equip road shoes...they have never slowed me down in transition a bit (I dont think). I wear 3 pair...one from last year that are my wet shoes, one that is my every day pair, and one that is always clean that I race in - unless it is raining, then I get out my rain pair.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply