Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike options for bad back? beam?
Quote | Reply
Well i blew out the disk in l4 and l5. My felt b2 was always a bit rigid for me but i could handle a 100 mile ride without too much discomfort before the injury. Dont think i can do that now. My road bike has one of the rox shox road suspension seat posts and that's really smooth. looking forward I'm probably going to need a new tt bike. Since i don't have an insane amount of money TJ's new beam bike is out. I'm wondering about the titanflex transition. Anyone out there riding one? I could also pick up a softride off ebay but if your beam bolt wears out your screwed. What other options are there for someone with a bad lower back? I m only 46 and i still want to be doing tris until I'm at least 66 just trying to figure out how to make it work. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: bike options for bad back? beam? [tryguy67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you gotta do a multi-pronged approach to deal with your injury:

- focus on shorter triathlons (so less race and training time on the bike in a bent over position).
- train on a super plush bike, maybe even something wild like this.
- get a tri race bike where you can reduce the seat to aerobar drop, but still get a decent fit.
- equip your tri race bike with a 25mm or wider rear tire, if you have a good rear wheel, the aero penalty is minimal.
- for your race and/or training bike, get an effective high-tech suspension seatpost, maybe something like this.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden a titanflex for about 5 years now and I really like it. I have the other one, not the transition, but I'd have no qualms about getting either model or recommending one to anyone.

I also wouldn't worry too much about a classic beam softride. The rocket beams seem to be a little less robust. I have had a softride solo for about 8 years now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a TF Transition for over 6 years. Love it. Tom (the owner)at TitanFlex is great to do business with as well. Incredible customer service.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: bike options for bad back? beam? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
- get a tri race bike where you can reduce the seat to aerobar drop, but still get a decent fit.

Does reduced drop really help bad back?
Lowering my position took the body weight pressure off my back and on to my hands/arms.
Seems counter-intuitive but worked for me.
Quote Reply
Re: bike options for bad back? beam? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Does reduced drop really help bad back?
Lowering my position took the body weight pressure off my back and on to my hands/arms.
Seems counter-intuitive but worked for me.

Good point. I think it really depends how much drop you started with and how much you reduced it. While back issues are highly individual, typical disc stress is caused by compression and by high levels of flexion. So I would imagine that being too upright could be bad and being highly bent over could be bad. There is probably some sweet spot in the middle somewhere.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: bike options for bad back? beam? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Its been helpful Especially dark speedworks. I like the seatpost and the plush bike for training idea. For those who own titanflex bikes. How do you feel about the flex in the beam. Does it absorb a lot of the road shock. Does it compress when you sit on it like a softride. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've experienced a LOT less flex than a softride. It doesn't bob at all, and I really don't notice it other than on really big bumps, or some slight oscillation if I'm at really high rpms (and I'm 180 and riding the Vanilla beam).

I think a lot depends on your position. I ride a fairly steep angle, so the beam is shorter (actually in as far as it will go). The more of the beam sticks out, the more flex it should have.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The beam eats a LOT of vibration. The flex is less than a softride but enough. It beats the hell out of a double diamond that's for sure.

There's a particular section on the chesapeakeman where I see people just bouncing along and I always am so glad I'm on a titanflex during that section. I can see the other people while I am doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: bike options for bad back? beam? [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have 2 bad disks. I find my TT bike easier on my back then my road bike. The trick for me is to make sure I rotate my hips forward and keep a nice flat back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflex Terminator -700c variety- has been my main ride for 9 years. Molina got into it because of a bad back, and I used to have low back spasms and facet issues. No problems with multiple Iron distance rides. Great, smooth ride, excellent shock absorption ( I know that section Kevin describes in Chesapeakeman!), extremely adjustable and easy to pack for distance travel. There's a bit of beam flex typically about 1/2 " or so. Lighter and I think more functional than Softride. And in the unlikely event you need customer service, Tom is great. Pretty much a bullet-proof bike. And I've heard it was very popular in RAAM for many of the reasons above.
Quote Reply