Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike fitter vs. bike dealer
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get fitted again and trying to figure out who to see. I've reviewed the Fitter's database here. There are many impressive credentials, but not all service my brand of bike (Trek). What are the pros/cons of going to a fitter that is a Trek dealer vs. one who is not.
Quote Reply
Re: bike fitter vs. bike dealer [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend that you go to a fitter who doesn't sell bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: bike fitter vs. bike dealer [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would recommend that you go to a fitter who doesn't sell bikes.

Starting from scratch, sure.

OP already owns a Trek.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say no pro or con to whether they sell Trek. Get the best fit. I help out at a store that does not sell Trek, but we have a fitter who runs an independent business with a room in that store. He deals with what people bring in and is amazing. Find your fitter; not a bike seller. Where are you located?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Celerius wrote:
I'm looking to get fitted again and trying to figure out who to see. I've reviewed the Fitter's database here. There are many impressive credentials, but not all service my brand of bike (Trek). What are the pros/cons of going to a fitter that is a Trek dealer vs. one who is not.

It shouldn't matter, bike are bikes. X/Y is X/Y. Torque spec is torque spec.

I do remind people to bring all those extra parts and nuts and bolts. Proprietary parts are a PITA to get if you are not the dealer for that brand. So if it is not easy for you to get parts for your brand, that may be a consideration. Though Trek Speed Concepts aren't too terrible in that regard (much is online).

I'm lucky in that I'm in a large market and can reach out to colleagues locally to source hard to find parts, or order in for them.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply