Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike commuting to work training benefits
Quote | Reply
Just for fun I plugged in my short daily commute to work (22 mins, 7k, 10 TSS each way) that I've started doing to my weekly plan in TrainingPeaks.

It added 2 points to my projected CTL which seems like a lot given that the commutes are short and really not taxing at all.

I know I have a relatively low CTL (83) so that skews things but is this a case of the formula giving too much weight to this (i.e. it's adding 100 TSS to the week which is like adding one decent training session but I imagine that the training adaptation you get from one 100 TSS ride vs 10 10 TSS ride aren't the same)?
Quote Reply
Re: bike commuting to work training benefits [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wondered this too. I usually only commute 3 days so that I don't ride in on bike workout days, but would be interested to know what the community thinks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with Training Peaks (and TSS/CTL) but if you are adding 10 wo's x 22min then you will definitely be getting a training benefit.

The benefits of 1x100 or 10x10 TSS would be a little different but I'm not sure that 1x100 would be any better (I guess it depending on what you're training for) and if the commute isn't interfering with time for other training, then the end result will be a definite net positive.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Commuting on the bike is a time efficient way to add volume.

I wouldn’t alter any of your other training due to it. Just know it is helping you build some bike specific fitness / strength.

My view is that whatever training stress it is adding will be short lived. You will adapt and it will become normal. Just like any of the walking around you do during the course of the day.

Now if you were commuting 50 miles each way - it would be a different story on the impact to your training schedule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride 500 miles per month commuting at fairly high intensity. Right now, that's about 70% of my total bike volume. Bike and public transportation commute times are the same, so that's 70% of my on-the-bike time with no training-time commitment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the school year I commute to work a few times a week (13-20 miles each way). It makes up most of my training during the week.(CTL usually floats around the 90s). I only focus on crits at this point, but I'm a cat 1.
Quote Reply