Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3
Quote | Reply
I’ve read the old thread on the 2014 models. I’m looking for some feedback on the current models.

I need a new road bike thats versatile. Flats, mountains, rain, wind. I’m 5’8” and 140. And middle aged. I’m a mediocre cyclist and its my weak spot in HIM/IM. I want to change that by adding more road mileage in a non tri bike.

i’m interested any feedback on R3 (which I’m leaning to) vs. S3. I’m not craving Di shifts so its disappointing that the R3 with discs does not have the mech option. That said, I’m looking to get the best bang for my buck at this mid range road price level.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3 [brunogerussi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2009 R3 and love it.

Prior, I had a S1 (wrong size).

Can't tell the difference... I think all top of the line bikes are great and we would struggle to feel the difference.

I dont say that flippantly. Just to say that I think (I am sure?) both bikes will be great.

Hope this helps
Quote Reply
Re: bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3 [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:
I have a 2009 R3 and love it.

Prior, I had a S1 (wrong size).

Can't tell the difference... I think all top of the line bikes are great and we would struggle to feel the difference.

I dont say that flippantly. Just to say that I think (I am sure?) both bikes will be great.

Hope this helps
There are many things I cannot feel but that are measurable.

If both bikes feel the same and are otherwise similar except that one is more aero, the choice is pretty clear.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new R3 and R5 got clearance for wider tires in 2018. 38 mm at the chain stays, meaning you can fit a 30 mm measured tire and still have the recommended 4 mm of clearance on both sides. Or you could fit a 32 or 33 mm measured tire and it's still doable.

The older 2017 R3 and R5 only had 34 mm at the chain stays, meaning a 25 mm GP4000S tire that is measured at 27-28 mm is already a tight fit. I think the new S3 has also widened their chain stays for more tire clearance, but it's only rated up to 25 mm...which could mean they are now just as wide as the older R3...meaning a measured 27-28 mm tire is a tight, but doable fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggled w this same choice for months

I couldn’t make a choice so I bought a dengfu that looks like the r5

Not sure that helps you.

But if I had endless $$ I’d go s5 just because it’s aero, aero is fast and fast is good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in your position back in 2014. I wavered back and forth for awhile and ultimately ended up with an R3. I test rode both bikes back to back in the same road with the same setup, same tire pressure, etc. I did the same climbs, aimed them at the same rough pavement, sprinted for the same stop signs,etc all while recording with the vector powermeter and a gps.

In my opinion the R3 seemed to accelerate quicker and climb better. The S3 held 25+mph on the flats a bit easier. For me, I wanted a bike that was good at the former. If I wanted to ride fast in a straight line then I’d use my tri bike. All of this could certainly be a placebo or in my head. But the placebo affect is real and I’m ok with that :). The final thing that pushed me towards the R3 was that I was able to get it for almost $1000 less than the S3 which meant I had money left over to upgrade the wheelset. Not sure about the current gen, but the difference between the 2014 R3 and S3 was 7 watts

All that said, both bike are great and you can’t go wrong. If I was buying a new road bike today I’d just want to make sure they could fit a 28mm Conti gp4000 (so 30mm of clearance). That way I could could have a bit more plush ride on some of the rough roads and light gravel around me.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Aug 3, 18 18:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the S3, felt it was light enough for the climbs but I also didn't want a pure climbing bike like the R3. My midsection is a tougher gram dilemma than the frame weight (175 lb.). Plus even if I'm on a road bike I still like to go as fast as possible.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see if you can ride them both. There is a definite difference in the ride. I'm all about the S bikes

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an S3 and my wife has an S3D with Etap. Both great bikes. My only complaint with my S3 is creaking from the seat post. I’ve contacted Cervelo to see if there is a permanent cure for this issue. Until I hear back, I use carbon paste on the seat tube clincher to eliminate the creaking. The S3D has not had this issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both will be great bikes. I bought an R3 over the S because I wanted it for doing hillier rides. It’s an awesome bike. Really is. Light, stiff, good on descents. It really, I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3 [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback everyone. Got the R3 with the fire sale deal on the Dura Ace group set. Felt a tiny bit of buyer’s remorse for not going with the disc/Di Ultegra package but I figured I’d rather use the $ for a Tri bike upgrade next year. In any case, it’s a eff’ing dream compared to my existing chrome moly road bike that’s one size too big.

n + 1......
Last edited by: brunogerussi: Aug 5, 18 19:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got an email last week for an R3 frameset sale & full S3 bike from Excel Sports (I think). At least that is who I think sent it, so maybe check their site out. I don't get to have the luxury of getting a road bike so I'll live vicariously through you if you get one. Tell me how riding an actual road vs tri bike is...it would be fun to know! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you will be doing Licensed Category Road Racing - go with the S3.

If you will NOT be doing the above, go with the R3. As someone else suggested, you can take the savings and put it towards a wheel upgrade, that will improve overall performance and feel.

If we are talking 2018 models, as someone else made note of, they have made room for HUGE wheel/tire clearance over past models. Varying tire size and psi is going to have more impact on the actual feel of the frames than anything else!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pick up my new R3 Disc Ultegra on Saturday.

I just had to share that with someone. :)
Quote Reply
Re: bike choice: cervelo R3 or S3 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an email last week for an R3 frameset sale & full S3 bike from Excel Sports (I think). At least that is who I think sent it, so maybe check their site out. I don't get to have the luxury of getting a road bike so I'll live vicariously through you if you get one. Tell me how riding an actual road vs tri bike is...it would be fun to know! ;-)

I write a post similar to this many times on here.

If you bought a triathlon bike as your first serious bike, to race in triathlons, you bought the right machine for the right reason. But the reality is you bought a one-trick-pony!

Many triathletes have this complete and total Ahh-Haa moment the first time they go for a ride on a really nice road bike - and then the whole rest of the great world of cycling opens up to them - group rides, granfondos, bike racing, maybe even some gravel and adventure riding etc . .. They can do all sorts of things, that they CAN'T on the tri bike. They often then invest in a good road bike and they end up spending more time on it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply