Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike case travel
Quote | Reply
I am going to the chicago tri. I'm borrowing a friend of mine's tri-all-3 bike case. Am I better off taking my chances with southwest airlines or trying to ship it ups? What is the cost of shipping ups. Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: bike case travel [davidevelev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cost of shipiing is pretty reasonable. Probably about $25 each way if you go ground. Presumably you have someone to ship it to, a bike shop or something.

You should check the cost of getting it on the airplane. With no coupon, Delta charges $80 for example. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would recommend you bring the bike on the plane with you. That way you're sure you will have it when you get there. Chicago may not be a problem with UPS but one year my bike (shipped via fedex) never showed up in Idaho Couer D'Alene for the National Championship. I ended up doing the race on a $25 dollar junker.

If you want to ship it to save money ship it back after the race.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ever start travelling to races again, I am going to get S & S couplers on my bike. I have one bike already with them and the bike breaks down and fits into a suitcase size box. Calfee will make you a carbon frame with titatanium couplers. Bilenky Bicycles, where I purchased my steel cyclocross bike with couplers, even offers to "hack your bike". Definitely the way to go for me!!

Check out this link for more info... http://www.sandsmachine.com/

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CHECKING BIKE CASE v UPS: Since checking my bike case to fly now costs $80 minimum ea way, I've been shipping my bike UPS to race, train, etc. Average UPS (from WI with insurance) is $45 ea way in the 48. Also ship it UPS to Kona (B&L Bike) to race in IMH. Of course you need other bikes to ride during the 4-7days shipping lead-time required, but I have pleny of those. I find reducing airport handling a bonus, not to mention the hassles associated with current searches...jb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your bike's dimensions. I rented a Trico case to ship my bike (58 cm Airborne Spectre). The measurment from the bottom of my big chain ring to the top of my seatpost is about 30", and the inside width of the box is about 29.5". Therefore, my chain ring made a protrusion in the bottm of the case, so if dropped in the right spot, I could have ended up with a broken chain ring. IMO, the dimensions of travel cases were designed for standard road bikes, but tri/TT bikes may have some idiosyncracies that could cause problems with fit.
Quote Reply
Re: bike case travel [jbailiff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Page 18 of the new Inside Tri magazine has a chart with most of the airlines, their policies and costs. SW only charges $40. I would take the bike on the plane and ship it back if you really didn't want to take it on the plane. Personally, I know too many people who have had UPS "issues" (damaged and/or lost bikes) to ship mine. Knock wood, but I've taken my bike on 6 trips in the past few years and never a problem with the airlines.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: bike case travel [jbailiff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I try to get an estimated UPS shipping cost to Kona, I only get a 2-day air price and it's a couple of hundred bucks. Does anyone else experience the same phenomenom???
Quote Reply
Re: bike case travel [A in Fl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Evidently, if you can fly SW, $40 makes it worthwhile to check your bike. Forget the UPS website for cost estimates. I take my case to the local UPS desk & ship to Hawaii for about $100 (depending on insurance)...jb
Quote Reply