Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike bottle torpedoes
Quote | Reply
I have an x-lab behind-the-seat water bottle cage. Unfortunately, every time I hit a big bump, the bottles shoot out. Any solutions besides the obvious switch to mounting my bottle cages on my down tube and seat tube?
Quote Reply
Re: bike bottle torpedoes [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Say this three times fast: Better Bike Bottle Holderss!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem till someone directed me to the Specialized Rib Cage Pro. Works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the X-lab behind-the-seat holder. I got the hack saw, cut it down and drilled some new holes so the bottles are now right behind the back of the Flite gel saddle. This may reduce bottle launching by reducing bounce(?) I have Profile Kages - cheap and available in colors. I still launch a bottle occasionally, most often on bumpy roads. My friend had the Specialized rib cages on his X-lab behind-the-seat holder, and was very unhappy with them - made frequent launches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cuissi Elite Cages. I use them because they have a little round holder mounted on the cage and you can bend them tight around the bottles. I think someone from this forum recommended them for my X-lab Saddlewing. I've only lost one bottle and that was because I was tired and sweaty during a half IM.
Quote Reply
Re: bike bottle torpedoes [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put on King Ti cages and bent them in really far - plus on the Softride it is not that bad as long as I am sitting - standing is another story all together.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a minoura ($12) with those cheap $0.99 aluminum bottle holders. I've never launched one yet, even driving down bumpy country roads with the bike in the back of my truck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that people may not want to listen to this, but depending on what type of frame tubes your bike has, you may want to consider frame mounted cages. John Cobb's recent article here on this site seemes to indicate that the gains from rear/seat mounted bottle cages are insignificant as are the losses from frame mounted bottles.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: bike bottle torpedoes [dan_goltz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Specialized Rib Cages, but the Rib Cage PRO. Big difference in the Pro version is that the cage loops over the top of the bottle (or the depression in bigger water bottles) and keeps it in. I haven't launched a bottle yet with these.
Quote Reply
Re: bike bottle torpedoes [BoomBoomPuddles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear the flaming hate mail coming through the wires, but if they banned behind the seat bottle cages I'd not miss them and the course would be safer. Throw the bottles on your down and seat tubes and I'll bet $1,000 that 85% of all triathletes would pretty much the same bike splits or a difference that makes no difference on their final placing. Some might even have better run times b/c they could get more fluid since they would not have launched half of their fluids. flame away and have a great day

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: bike bottle torpedoes [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here here!!

Save your money! According to John Cobb's latest stats, the frame mounted bottles should yeild approximatley the same bike splits as seat mounted ones.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my p2k only has one mounting for a bottle cage in the triangle. I'm not a big fan of the handlebar mounted bottles, so the rear mount is pretty important for me to be able to carry enough fluids for a long training ride or race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I hear the flaming hate mail coming through the wires, but if they banned behind the seat bottle cages I'd not miss them and the course would be safer. Throw the bottles on your down and seat tubes... Some bikes don't have braze-ons for two water bottle cages(P3's and Softrides for example).
Quote Reply