Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike/helmet custom painting
Quote | Reply
Anyone have some strong knowledge of custom bike and helmet painting? I have been watching several Martin Grey videos on YT trying to get a good handle on how to best DIY some helmets. Maybe I will tackle my frames later, maybe not. But I want to try some helmets. So when sanding, is is quite easy to recognize the primer layer typically? I sanded a section about 2 inches by 6 inches for about 45 minutes on one of my helmets and didn't seem to make much progress. I know it should take a while for a newb, but damn, that's a lot. Also, once I have used the proper primer for the polystyrene and plastic, is there much fine sanding to be done between layers of primer and/or paint? I think Martin eluded to this a little, but I couldn't get a grasp on it. I emailed him...no response so far. Also, he recommended to degrease the helmet after finishing sanding in one DIY helmet video? Did I hear that right? Just wipe it down with some mineral spirits? Any advice would help because I want to do the job right the first time, not the 3rd or 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [davedaprato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would never even think about painting a bike helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure the fact that you don't is really that helpful to the OP...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave my Giro Vanquish to a painter and he wiped in down with whatever he cleaned it with and he said that crap kept coming bubbling out the plastic and he wouldn't paint it as it wouldn't turn out well. I can only assume that is what degreasing the helmet means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure how drastic a change you're looking to do, but what about paint pens? A little more durable than sharpies. Post with any results or which direction you decide to go.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I should have added a bit more information, sorry.

I would never consider painting a bike helmet because I would be concerned that it would affect the structural integrity.

I would just buy a new helmet that is the color I like.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Apr 8, 20 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy's video on painting helmets is pretty good. It covers damage to the polystyrene as well, and how to prevent it.

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sticker wrap like a car might be more effective
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These guys might be able to help you, a friend if mine used them and it looked great.
https://www.vcgraphix.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few helmets ago, I went at it with metallic Sharpies, basically tagging my own head

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is who the Pro athletes use:

Kevin Brooks as Brooks Airbrush Studio

@brooksairbrushstudio

brooksairbrushstudio.com

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [Kipstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kipstar wrote:
Sticker wrap like a car might be more effective

Craft stores sell adhesive vinyl in all colors. Its a cheap easy way to personalize a helmet with some designs or pin striping or whatever your mind and some scissors can come up with. The best part is you can peel it off when you get sick of it, and do something new.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all, I honestly don't care that you think I shouldn't paint my helmet. My safety is my concern and I have taken steps to ensure my own safety with specific primer to protect polystyrene. If you sand through the pain into the plastic or polycarbonate, then you have a safety problem. If you use oil based paint these can weaken the structural integrity of the polycarbonate. I am trying to be 100% confident that I do not sand too far. Buying a helmet that is the color I like? Certainly not a simple option. Have you ever purchased or even worn a helmet? Seriously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been wearing bicycle helmets since 1984.
Quote Reply
Re: bike/helmet custom painting [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
This guy's video on painting helmets is pretty good. It covers damage to the polystyrene as well, and how to prevent it. https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

Great link, thanks. It looks like helmet painting can work fine if you use the right primer. Plus, he is a pretty funny guy, very easy to watch.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply