Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bicycle sports fitting
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of buying a new tri bike at bicycle sports because I know how important getting fit for your bike is.

The problem is they do not carry any of the brands of bikes that I am interested in here in FL.

There is another local bike shop that has a large assortment of tri bikes that I like.

The question is: do I go to bicylcle sports based on their reputation for fitting and buy one of the brands that they carry that fits me or do I go to the LBS and let them fit me and go with one of the brands that I know.

Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: bicycle sports fitting [tripod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripod-

if the guy at bicycle sports in florida is anything like the guy (dave) that used to be here in san diego at bicycle sports - then i would definitely suggest going there.

your LBS may be great, but these guys at bicycle sports really know what they're talkin' about. they won't fit you on something, just to sell it to you. they're going to give you straight up info based on your body type and what bike would be good for you based on the type of rider that you are and/or the courses that you're planning on riding.

laters,

rd

---------------------------

How many miles did you ride today?
Quote Reply
Re: bicycle sports fitting [Red Dragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Red Dragon, if the guys at the Bicycle Sports in FL are anything like the Shreveport store I would go there and I believe they did work with John Cobb in Shreveport (& actually ride and do triathlons), so they know their stuff. At least from my experience at BS they are great about letting you try out a variety of bikes and will make sure you are fit properly with the right bike. They are also great with follow up service, talking any time you call or to answer questions or correcting anything if needed (at least in Shreveport). So I would recommed BS.
Quote Reply
Re: bicycle sports fitting [Rocky Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found their website doing a search at www.floridabicyclesports.com

Looks like they carry Guru and Felt, both which make great Tri bikes (I'm sure Tom D. can chime in on these as he's been racing on a Guru lately and has had nothing but praise for it) and carry some top line road bike brands, too. Like I said and also Red Dragon the fit is what will make the difference and if you have someone in your area who is trained by John Cobb in postionong/fitting or FIST certified, I would definitely go there. Also, I think if they've taken the time to be trained by Cobb or FIST, it shows that they have a real interest in making sure the bike is right for you and that your position is optimal, and our more in tune with triathletes and racing cyclists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great advise.

You made my decision much easiet. I am definitely going
to go to bicycle sports this weekend.
[reply]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone speak to any differences between a System One vs. a FIST fitting?

"The problem is they don't carry any of the brands I'm interested in."

In the case of Bicycle Sports, I think you will be best served to go with what they recommend. There are reasons why they carry what they carry. Because Bicycle Sports is a highly reputable, perhaps the most reputable, tri-specific dealer their recommendations are dependable and well justified.

Perhaps, to a degree, it boils down to whose bike buying experience and recommendations you trust more: Yours or Bicycle Sports.

With sincere respect to you Sir or Ma'am, if you are on this forum then I presume you are a well-informed, dilligent bike buyer who has done some good research. However, may I be so bold as to suggest that perhaps the good men at Bicycle Sports may be somewhat more experienced given their track record?

In any event, good luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Feb 24, 04 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: bicycle sports fitting [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom,

They absolutely have more bike knowledge than I do no matter how diligent a shopper I am, and therefore I will take their advice and get whatever bike they recommend to me.

My only issue is I have done alot of research based on bikes that I have seen you recommend and they do not carry alot of those brands. They do however carry Guru and I know you like them.

Thanks for the good advise.

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: bicycle sports fitting [tripod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tripod

I just got back from bicycle sports tyler tx and was refit on a bike I purchaced from them 2 yrs ago only took very minor twicking. When I went down to ride bikes they were very helpful. Picked 4 bikes for me to ride based on my particular size etc and I tested griffen blade talon and road wing. I baught the griffen and have been very happy with this bike. Their prices are very competitive. A friend of mine went with me this time and he bought a aegis t2 and is very happy with it.

Good luck mike
Quote Reply