Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best wetsuit?-need opinions
Quote | Reply
Quick question....I have about 250$ to spend on a new wetsuit...so many choices. What are your suggestions?

Veronica in Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: best wetsuit?-need opinions [veronica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to bug Dan and see if Monty has his trade-in program up and running yet. With the discount from your old suit, you can almost certainly afford the new tres.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: best wetsuit?-need opinions [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply....mine got ripped Sunday during a paticularly slow T1....(it was an old suit anyway)....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought a Quintana Roo Ultrafull, which replaced my 6y/o QR. I always believed that the QR suits are very fast and the material is very stretchy for a 'lowend' wetsuit (Ultrafull). for 230$ (@nytro) you get a wetsuit that has everything you need. People have won Ironman Races in those suits. If you have 300$ more, you might as well spend it on an expensive suite but my bet is that you won't gain anything from it. Spend the 300$ on a private swim lesson with video analysis and you'll complete that swim faster than in a T1 or some other expensive suite.
Quote Reply
Re: best wetsuit?-need opinions [agret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll cast a second vote for the QR Ultrafull...I was using a friends IM (not sure what model but he paid nearly $400 for it) and I like the Ultrafull much better...The arms are much more comfortable, and you'll float like a cork!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a promotion fullsuit for about 3yrs and it has been great. The buying experience on line was good. They have a lot of sizes and sent a couple to try. No basis for comparison since other than the initial fit and ease of getting on/off, since its the only wetsuit I've owned. It cost about $225. Here's the link: http://www.wetsuit.com/...egory_name=triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Dos. It's the "hardest to remove" wetsuit DeSoto ever made, and I think it's easy to deal with. So I'd recommend the Tres which is marketed as an upgrade in both fit and ease of removal, thanks to a better rubber (the Dos is no longer made, but some stores still have a bunch of sizes in stock, available at a seriously discounted price).

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...Best for what kind of triathlon.

Fastest wetsuits are long sleeve. However, in order for a long sleeve to be fast it must fit correctly. The reason some wear sleeveless is because they can't (or haven't) found a wetsuit that fits their body type.

I believe the best wetsuit for long courses is the T1 (comfortable swim-like feel - difficult to remove (and slow compared to the Piel)).

I believe the best wetsuit for short courses is the Piel (easy and fast tor remove - fit simular to most wetsuits).

I use both depending upon whether I'm doing a long course or a short course. I don't believe there is one wetsuit that is "perfect" for both long course and short course tris.

Finally, I believe the very best wetsuit is one that fits. There is no brand or design that is "best" if it doesn't fit.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just received a replacement for a Xterra Vortex full suit. Now have the 2003 instead of the 2002. Well worth the money. The 02 was really a good one & they have now made all kinds of improvements. Inside comfort line, varying thickness of rubber. Flexible & very, very fast to gt out of. I did a timed T1 practice & was only 38 sec including exiting the water. My times in it were much faster than without it & faster than the 02 version.
Quote Reply