Prev Next
best downtube aero bottle
Quote | Reply
for trek speed concept if that matters.
Is a aero cage really worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [ret123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like the torhans vr bottle. Although I use it on the seat tube but I know many a riders who use it on the downtube.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small gains but free speed. Use one if you only need the one bottle on the frame for the race. I like Torhans VR as I have ejected aero bottles before on a rough course but it is supported well and definitely won't eject.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elite Chrono on the down tube. You'll have to use the cage it's designed to work with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highjack:

Before I buy a a goofy aero bottle, order of preference for the speed concept is (1) BTA, (2) single bottle BTS, (3) aero bottle on downtube, right?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
None, next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m currently using the X-Lab aero bottle for racing, and I use it on the seattube. It seems to fit a bit lower on my frame (Blue Triad SL) than on the downtube.

I’d prefer no bottle in that position, but I feel personally it’s better for my nutrition. I use one concentrated bottle of Infinit in a HIM and two for an IM. I’ve thought of putting the Infinit behind my seat, where I do have a cage, but taking a drink every 15-20 min is hard getting the bottle out of and back into the Gorilla cage. I generally start a race with a water BTA, one behind the seat as well as the X-Lab aero bottle.

For a real hilly course I would forgo the rear bottle at the start to save a bit of weight. The only advantage of starting with two water bottles is generally only having to slow down at one aid station in a HIM to get more water.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Elite Chrono on the down tube. You'll have to use the cage it's designed to work with.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's very, very hard to go wrong with a BTA and often a BTS is pretty neutral

The SC is one of the few bikes we've made go faster with downtube/seattube bottles. But you need the right size SC otherwise there is a drag increase. On the other hand not having that nutrition, getting off the bike staggering through the run (or run/walk) on fumes is probably the slower option

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an XLAB Aero TT on the down tube of my Trek SC. Not sure if it's faster or slower than the Elite Crono, but it holds 25% more (at 20g heavier) if that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

The SC is one of the few bikes we've made go faster with downtube/seattube bottles. But you need the right size SC otherwise there is a drag increase. On the other hand not having that nutrition, getting off the bike staggering through the run (or run/walk) on fumes is probably the slower option

I found one of your old posts re: the subject and IIRC, small/medium there was no penalty for a round bottle, but with a large there was. Do you remember what gen those test were ran on? I'm on a medium 2012 (the older gen frame).

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably 1st gen since it was 4-6yr ago I'd guess

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Yep, I was told by Jan that didn’t change his drag on the Canyon at all.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As best as I can tell from field testing, it’s drag neutral for me as well.
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I have a SC - XL Gen2 that I like to run an Elite Crono2 on the downtube. Thoughts? No bottle seemed always best, but I have to run mine on the downtube as I drop it too often on the seattube.
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Have a BTA horizontal-oriented Profile Design but wish it had an easy refill foam http://www.profile-design.com/.../hydration/aqualite/ cap like the old vertical Profile Design Aqualite BTA. Which makes me wonder-which of the suggested downtube aerobottles would be easiest/fastest to refill the flip open solid cap top of BTA I have now (horizontal) ?
Last edited by: ret123: Apr 12, 18 11:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been running the Specialized Virtue aero bottle on my Gen 2 SC. It fills the gap nicely between the downtime and seat tube. Don't know if it is any faster than or slower than anything else.

I say Tim Reed running one and figured hey I have one why not? (I know, great reason right)

I would lean toward the X lab just because you can see how much fluid you still have compared to the Virtue or Chronos, just my worthless .02cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been fond of the xlabs Torpedo BTA on my SC with the no longer sold Bontrager RXL BTS mount that holds 1 or 2 bottles. So I do not use a frame mount.
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
None, next.

This. You spend thousands on a totally aero tri bike carbon frame, and you're gonna put a bottle on the downtube?. That's just wrong. Hydration should go in the cockpit or behind the saddle on a tri bike.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the Giant Trinity? Comes with a downtube bottle.....

Nothing is ever so easy to reply to with a few word, and certainly not downtube bottle aerodynamics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trek/Bontrager bottle was good on the original Speed Concept, and should be good on Gen2 as well.

The Elite Chrono CX is a terrible bottle. Aerodynamics are fine, but it just doesn't work that well as a bottle in my experience due to the lid being a POS.

The latest generation dimpled Arundel has a fantastic cap that improves upon every other aero bottle. I do not know how aero it is though. On an SC, the transition from tube to bottle should be great, so I would wager it's good on the downtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speefil is my go to for the downtube. Had it for 5 years and works like a charm.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Carl had recommended running a bottle on the seat tube for an SC.... not the down tube. I was always interested in testing this but have never gotten around to it.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriJayhawkRyan wrote:
Speefil is my go to for the downtube. Had it for 5 years and works like a charm.

Man that bottle is the fugliest thing possible to add to a bike. I still don’t understand how they call that thing an aero bottle. It’s huge!!!

blog
Quote Reply
Re: best downtube aero bottle [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next