Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

back pain?
Quote | Reply
I was riding to work yesterday in what turned out to be a mini ice storm. A 30 mph crosswind caught the bike and sent it skating one way and me another. I landed pretty soundly on the ice. Nothing is broken, no blood, just some bruising and pain in the muscles around my tailbone. Sometimes the muscles spontaneously spasm (or I cough or sneeze) and it hurts, other times I lean back too far, or get up too fast and it hurts. When I say it hurts, it means I say some things that may make a sailor blush, but by the time I'm through with my expletives so is the "sensation." As long as I don't "irritate" it, it doesn't ache much and I can sit and walk normally, etc.

I have a big ride (Solvang Century, my first century) this weekend and I'm travelling from Kansas to do it. I'm looking for advice on what I can do to make this go away. Ice? Heat? Stretching (how?) Sleep? Anti-inflammatories? Anti-depressants :)

Please help.

Meg.
Quote Reply
Re: back pain? [Meg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Universal internet rule: do not take medical advice on the internet (except on some medical website or some people that you know are really doctors).

if it hurts when you cough or sneeze it could be just bruising but could also be a broken rib (sorry but you thinking nothing is broken does not mean nothing is...)

go see a physician and get some xrays. maybe nothing but you'd better be sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't already have a chiropractor, it's time to get one. They can often help with stuff like that. Ibuprofen is another wonderful thing.
Quote Reply
Re: back pain? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois,

I knew I'd get the "don't solicit medical advice from random folks on the internet" warning... but I posted anyway. I know you're right... but it's taking random advice, not collecting it that's dangerous.

I'm just looking for suggestions...
Thanks for pointing out the hazards.

Meg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Meg... but, the biggest part of being an active person is suffering the consequences of injuries. The biggest jump in athletic maturity is realizing that injuries take time and proper care to accomodate success.

Your best remedy is to get an evaluation by a doctor... once the problem has been determined, then you can make informed decisions about your next action. - race or recovery. Until your certain about what is wrong, you shouldn't do the century. Only a physician can determine the extent of your injuries.

Doing the century and potentially ruining your whole summer (or, at least the first half) or forgoing the century and having the next few weeks/months of recovery may give you a whole summer of fun and activity. Hmmm...You make the call. If it was me, I'd see a doctor. Then, decide the fate of the century ride. Remember, your in this thing for the long haul, not just for a weekend.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After you get medical clearance, and if there's still time, the one thing I would recommend is a massage by a good sports massage therapist. It's generally not a good idea to get deep massage right before an event, but in this case it may help release some of the stuff that's causing the pain (again, if the docs don't find anything).

Even if you can't ride, I hope you can come out to CA anyway! The weather in Solvang should be in the 60s-70s this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extra sleep will always help the body to heal. (And this is coming from someone with a pure hatred of sleep).

Also, eat the best that you can and don't cut calories. Give your body all the energy it needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meg, how'd it work out? Were you able to ride?
Quote Reply
Re: back pain? [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ariel,

The ride was fabulous--hot baths, ice, and ibuprofen seemed to do the trick. In the end my crazy boyfriend on his fixed gear was more sore than I was. Maybe next year I'll manage to keep up with him.

Can anyone tell me how the Solvang century compares to the Wildflower long course?

Meg.
Quote Reply