Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

atomic dog
Quote | Reply
my new rat terrier is playing a funny game with me. we are in the middle of house training her and take her out for relief every hour. things aren't going to well. we let her out and when she is back in she does her thing on my things. we tried keeping her out longer and taking her out more often. she just seems to like my carpets. any ideas? will she out grow this? does she think it's funny? i knew a terrier was going to be a challenge but wow. this chick is quick.

all so she sleeps under the covers between me and my wifes feet. i keep thinking she is going to sufficate but she loves it down there. any elses pooch do this.

last question. how long should i wait for her to get before i get another dog? she is about 15 weeks right now and gets along great with other dogs.

i am now a small dog person. gag!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: customerjon: May 22, 03 0:08
Quote Reply
Re: atomic dog [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

She is probably not just having a laugh but probably does not know where the correct place to go is! This is the method I have used to house train my dog.

1) On the spot she like to go on put down some newspaper so that she goes on this. Every time she goes on the paper give her a treat.

2) Gradually move the newspaper closer and closer to the door.

3) When she moves towards the paper to go - move the paper outside + give treat when successful.

Over time you should be able to tell when she is about to go as she heads towards the door - be quick and open the door! Hopefully she will get the message within a couple of weeks - good luck.

Letting the dog sleep in your bed is generally a bad idea (although it does keep your feet warm). Dogs are hierarchical animals and like to know their place in the hierarchy (hence the phrase top dog). Letting her in your bed places her at the top of the family hierarchy. When my children came along I was actually advised by a dog trainer to let them as babies sit in the dogs bed whilst you watch and encourage. This places the child above the dog in the hierarchy (enforced by your encouragement) and can stop problems developing later. Other things are to eat (and feed the children) before feeding the dog - and to always walk through doors before letting to dog go through - again to gain the respect of the dog and emphasise the hierarchy.

There is a lot of dog psychology out there - but the basic premise is to treat the dog as other dogs would and make sure you are top dog.

My dog is now well balanced and a joyful family pet. Just wish the same techniques would work with the children. But they are a lot smarter J

Have fun, enjoy.
Quote Reply