Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ashley horner, renal failure
Quote | Reply
My daughter passed along to me her sodium and cpk values as posted by the coach.

Based on those numbers and her obvious dehydration and hyperthermia; if she attempts another try tomorrow she will most likely be in renal failure tomorrow night.

As a physician I feel obligated to try to get a message to her or her coach. People on this site seem well connected and apparently members of her team read this site. Hopefully someone can persuade a friend, family member, or coach to stop this insanity before she does potentially irreversible damage to herself.
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [sametime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Anyone have connections?
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [bazilbrush] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, she won't listen to her doctors or her coach, so.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:

So is she doing this to raise money? If so ending up with a damaged body won't get her to her goal. She would be better off taking a few days or week off and resuming 50/50 (of whatever, her fans won't know what she did, but they will know if she DNF's)....she's better off doing 50/50 of "whatever" than dnf if she's going to misrepresent what she is doing under the guise of fundraising...at least this way she gets the fundraising goal which she claims is the goal. DNFing will kill the fundraise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's already done another 3.8k swim and 180k bike. Her coach already left as he told her to stop
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Aug 18, 18 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

So is she doing this to raise money? If so ending up with a damaged body won't get her to her goal. She would be better off taking a few days or week off and resuming 50/50 (of whatever, her fans won't know what she did, but they will know if she DNF's)....she's better off doing 50/50 of "whatever" than dnf if she's going to misrepresent what she is doing under the guise of fundraising...at least this way she gets the fundraising goal which she claims is the goal. DNFing will kill the fundraise.

Let's hope this doesn't end with a GoFundMe for her for some health condition as a result of what I consider based now what I know to be a pretty reckless act.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seemed like I read where multiple MDs told her the dangers.

We, as physicians, can't force mentally competent people from making dumb choices. We can only tell them they are making dumb choices.
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If her sodium is out of whack, she may no longer be mentally competent. I dealt with that with an older neighbor. She was not of right mind and did not want help. We called an ambulance and got her to the ED. Good thing we did. Her labs were a mess. Sodium especially.

People often do think straight if their electrolytes are off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMStillTrying wrote:
Seemed like I read where multiple MDs told her the dangers.

We, as physicians, can't force mentally competent people from making dumb choices. We can only tell them they are making dumb choices.

I think she's angling for a 2018 Darwin Award.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted this on the other Ashley post

I have given it to many patients and students

As one to another, I hope you find it as touching as I did, and give it the legs it deserves

https://www.si.com/...1/01/second-wind0903
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would hope they would outline her risks of continuing, as they certainly should

Someone mentioned competence to make rational decisions, it certainly is a consideration

One thing that irks me is how selfish a decision this is on so many levels. The one that certainly begs the ethical question is who deserves the gift of a transplant. Does someone who does something this destructive to themselves and develops irreversible renal failure deserve a transplant?

I added a post to the big thread and added a link to this article that describes the impact of transplantation on the donor family and the recipient.

https://www.si.com/...1/01/second-wind0903
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this story...I used to do the Angels Race in LYH and still run the Point of Honor 5k. As a nurse (and organ donor), the Shroyer family's story always gets me.
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No No No - stop it. All of you.

Let us see how this plays out. Stop trying to make stupid people less stupid - they need to learn from their mistakes while I watch while saying "wait for it....wait for it..."
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

Let us see how this plays out. Stop trying to make stupid people less stupid - they need to learn from their mistakes while I watch while saying "wait for it....wait for it..."

We can all just let this stuff continue to happen, frankly it will anyway, but the result IMHO is it just feeds other people to do the same thing and that isn’t good. Seeing a lot of high-level athletes compete and perform it is interesting to watch their psyche. We have a lot of Olympics Runner here (Clermont) too.

The said thing about this is social media is it not nearly as valuable as we think it is. It is value but the owners (Facebook, Twitter) CAN control it. IMHO it is only a matter of time before Insta starts charging you 100 per month for 10,000 followers, 500 for 100,000, and 2,500 for a million and free for less than 10,000. That will curb fake followers real quick. They are betting on resource that they control. Insta models are a dime a dozen. In the mean time we have people who get crazier and crazier to the point of being reckless and as a society we pay for their attempt at stardom and just encourage the behavior all over again. It isn’t healthy. My reply here is part of the problem. We just love to watch drama, and Ashley provided us with plenty of it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sametime wrote:
My daughter passed along to me her sodium and cpk values as posted by the coach.

Based on those numbers and her obvious dehydration and hyperthermia; if she attempts another try tomorrow she will most likely be in renal failure tomorrow night.

As a physician I feel obligated to try to get a message to her or her coach. People on this site seem well connected and apparently members of her team read this site. Hopefully someone can persuade a friend, family member, or coach to stop this insanity before she does potentially irreversible damage to herself.

well, i do definitely think she's at risk of hurting herself.

but i really don't think that as a random physician on the internet that you're any more 'obligated' than anyone else is. i mean, your daughter passed along 3rd-hand values. you haven't examined the patient, done any other labs, seen her history . . . maybe you work with lots of ultradistance athletes, maybe you don't.

i get that nobody likes to see this kind of thing unfolding in slow-motion, and i think a lot of us share your concern (rubberneckers notwithstanding). but i don't think you're placed to make a long-distance diagnosis and definitely not obligated to.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: ashley horner, renal failure [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

I am just waiting that one of these Influencers suffering bodily harm in their quest actually sues Instagram (AKA: Zuckini), for offering a platform that encourages it's members to self-destruct.

That would be an interesting legal question, actually.

How is instagram encouraging self-destruction any more than it's narcissistic predecessors (i.e. cosmo, or any of the other outlets with unrealistic body images on display)? At least from a legal perspective? The feedback loop is tighter, but I don't see how there is any more legal responsibility on their part. But then again I am not a lawyer, so I could be way off base.
Quote Reply