Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

areo bars for trek 5200
Quote | Reply
I have a trek 5200 and think it is a great bike. I would like to buy areo bars for it but someone told me the geometry of the bike does not work well with areo bars....is this true? What would be a comparable tri bike to the trek 5200 as far as price and performance goes....i am thinking about buying a new tri bike for christmas! Please help! Greyhound
Quote Reply
Re: areo bars for trek 5200 [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam. I ride a 58cm Trek 5200, and I'm currently using a pair of size medium Syntace C2's with a 90mm stem. I have the seat all the way forward on the rails on a zero-setback seatpost (around 76 degrees effective seat angle) and this setup still feels a little stretched out, but I have long forearms so the size small C2's or the Jammer GT's are too short for me. In short, if you're thinking about getting a tri bike I'd do that and forget about trying to get the Trek to be a tri bike. I know that a lot of people race on Trek OCLV's but I've never been able to get a sound aero position on mine, and I've never seen anyone with a really good aero position on one. I'm planning to buy a tri bike this winter and return the Trek to it's intended (road) geometry for training. As far as comparable tri bikes go in this price range, you can start by looking at the Cervelo P2K and the Felt S22. Also check out some of the other threads for more recommendations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it on the same bike and never felt "strong" compared to tri geometry. That was w/ a forward seatpost as well. In fact, In a half Ironman, I lost 1.5 mph in a years time on the road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big Slam bars or the like should work. I ride a Trek road geometry bike and couldn't make anything work until I tried the Big Slam bars and position. I am 6'2" and have a 35" inseam. I just do not find the tri geometry comfortable. This is a perfect solution for me.

On John Cobb's site there are some technical articles explaining everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Cobb's site is currently under reconstruction, but when it comes back up read his articles on the big slam bars and position. http://www.bicyclesports.com/

If you have long femurs this position is claimed to work particularly well.
Quote Reply
Re: areo bars for trek 5200 [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, in fact Peter Reid and I believe Cam Weidoff use road geometry, those boys have big femurs indeed.
Quote Reply