Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aqua jog or elliptical machine?
Quote | Reply
I'm having some lingering Achilles problems that are preventing me from running right now. It doesn't bother my Achilles to aqua jog or do the elliptical machine, so I'm going to hit those to try not to lose too much of my running.

If you had to pick, which one is better for maintaining running shape? I prefer the elliptical since I can watch TV or read at the gym, but if aqua jogging is better I'll suck it up and do it.

Thanks,
Adam
Quote Reply
Re: aqua jog or elliptical machine? [adampom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, i was just about to post this, though im on the tail end of my recovery. I found ellip works well though my pool really frowns upon aqua jogging, so i guess i had no choice. I just started some small runs, to test my achilles, and so far my HR is 10 pts below what it used to be for running. So im guessing whatever i did (swim bike ellip) worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rehabbing a hamstring injury and found pool running, and the dodging of noodle wielding grannies, to be just too incredibly boring. I've been using the elliptical and finding it a good substitute for running. Although, there's no way I could read.........I'm working way too hard for that.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never ever used an elliptical machine for more than about 10 seconds, so I might be a bit biased here. I had a recent bout with shin splins last fall, and as a result, turned to pool running. I quickly found out that you get out what you put in. Sure, I could lolly-gag and "jog" slowly in the pool for hours (2 hour long runs in the pool are mind numbing), but it was hardly even a workout. IMO, pool running is an excellent workout if you push yourself. Cadence and stride will be different for everyone, but I found myself doing "tempo" workouts with a very quick cadence and short stride. You just need to find what works best for you. Also, if you've gotten one of those aqua jogging belts to keep you afloat--consider not using it. At first I thought I'd never be able to go without the belt for more than 5 min, but I really did adapt quickly....worked up to 2 hours. I think the belt makes it too easy. If you have any other questions, ask away. Good luck with recovery.

Andy
Last edited by: Andrew_R: Mar 11, 04 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Adam - Hate to hear you are still hurting!

Aqua jog would be great for straightening out your gait but it can get very boring. I had to do it at one time and I do not think I could get over 30 minutes. I like the aqua belt and concentrate on a full range of motion with your stride and concentrating on keeping your body in alignment, feet & legs following the path correctly, torso not moving side to side. There are also these things that look like cushy shoeboxes you put on your feet that will really challenge your alignment and help to strengthen your legs. Good luck!

maylene

-----------------------------------------------
maylene jackson, cscs
http://www.kidsintraining.org
Quote Reply