Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anything new with bike shipping companies?
Quote | Reply
I used bikeflights a couple times last year.....no problems....good pricing. Now I see on their website that they use UPS. I called to see if that means they now use both fedx and ups or no longer use fedx but no one has answered their phone all morning. Their live chat doesn't work.....and their rate from philly to florida is a lot higher than last year. I just called shipbikes and "chris" answered the phone and answered all my questions.....same deal.....will print out a fedx label.....plus a lot cheaper. Anyone have any very recent experience with either one of these companies? Bikeflights still in business? Left a message at their prompt since no one picked up and no call back yet.
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a price quote, yep about double-triple of last year for me. Yikes, and yet the fed says we have no inflation. Maybe they got put in the penalty box by Fedex. Their rates were so good I was using it for things not even related to bikes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Just did a price quote, yep about double-triple of last year for me. Yikes, and yet the fed says we have no inflation. Maybe they got put in the penalty box by Fedex. Their rates were so good I was using it for things not even related to bikes.
Thomas, I paid $82 (each way) last year with bikeflights which I thought was a good rate and just got a quote of $62 (each way) from shipbikes site. Guess I found a new partner to work with when I'm not using tribiketransport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
I used bikeflights a couple times last year.....no problems....good pricing. Now I see on their website that they use UPS. I called to see if that means they now use both fedx and ups or no longer use fedx but no one has answered their phone all morning. Their live chat doesn't work.....and their rate from philly to florida is a lot higher than last year. I just called shipbikes and "chris" answered the phone and answered all my questions.....same deal.....will print out a fedx label.....plus a lot cheaper. Anyone have any very recent experience with either one of these companies? Bikeflights still in business? Left a message at their prompt since no one picked up and no call back yet.

I've used shipbikes to ship a wheelset and a couple of other items, no complaints at all. I believe they're an offshoot of bikeisland.net and shipbikes just leverages their corporate rates with FedEx.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s another company called “Ship Bikes”. I believe they still use FedEx pricing.

https://www.shipbikes.com/

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they not allow to ship in soft shell cases? Couldn't find that option.
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m unsure on that, but I very much prefer shipping in a cardboard box. I’ve shipped with BikeFlights over 20 times and the only damage I ever had was in a soft case.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shipsbikes still uses fedex. I just shipped with them from Tuscon to High Point NC

I was quoted a Monday (May 6) delivery and the damn bike showed up at my Dad's on Friday (May 3). He was out of town and I was in ATL some swim analysis/aero consulting work/meet with an athlete I coach/see some friends trip

Had to scramble to get a friend to come over and put the bike in the garage. First time I've ever had a bike arrive a day before the scheduled delivery.

Was $74 to ship a 68 pound Premier Tactical case, maybe I should ask for a refund for early delivery hahaha

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: May 7, 19 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

They are just supplying the label so just do the weight and dimensions correctly and you should be ok with FedX. But like, doublea334, thats the only time I've incurred damage was with a soft case......Scicon Aerotech. FedX is tough on bike cases, I'd only ship in cardboard box or hard case.
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
shipsbikes still uses fedex. I just shipped with them from Tuscon to High Point NC

I was quoted a Monday (May 6) delivery and the damn bike showed up at my Dad's on Friday (May 3). He was out of town and I was in ATL some swim analysis/aero consulting work/meet with an athlete I coach/see some friends trip

Had to scramble to get a friend to come over and put the bike in the garage. First time I've ever had a bike arrive a day before the scheduled delivery.

Was $74 to ship a 68 pound Premier Tactical case, maybe I should ask for a refund for early delivery hahaha

I used shipbikes last month from philly to florida and it was $68 one way for a 60 pound premier tactical case. I just tried the bikeflights website to compare and it was $85 and they were using UPS. Their FAQ lists they use both FedX and UPS but doesn't seem to give you a choice (if it makes any difference).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

They are just supplying the label so just do the weight and dimensions correctly and you should be ok with FedX. But like, doublea334, thats the only time I've incurred damage was with a soft case......Scicon Aerotech. FedX is tough on bike cases, I'd only ship in cardboard box or hard case.

I don't understand. Is a cardboard box appreciably different than a soft case?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved using BikeFlights until they recently switched to UPS. All rates seem to have gone up 50-100% for me.

In the last few weeks, I've used shipbikes.com exclusively for a half dozen shipments. They still use FedEx and their rates are fantastic. Probably sent 3-4 wheel boxes at $25-35/ea and a couple bikes at $65-85/ea. Their website is extremely clunky, but their service is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: anything new with bike shipping companies? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
onceatriathlet3 wrote:

I don't understand. Is a cardboard box appreciably different than a soft case?

Can only tell you my experience. A few years back when I first started travelling I used my LBS to pack my bike and ship in cardboard bike box.. Never had a damage problem. Once I started travelling a lot, I invested in a good hard shell case and had no problems......except for the case getting beat up. Also bought a soft case to ease the pain of taking apart and putting together and had damage the first (and only) time I used it. So, in my experience, no problems (but pita) shipping cardboard box or hard shell.....but one and only time used the Scicon Aerotech, my P5 got pretty well damaged.
Quote Reply