Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes?
Quote | Reply
ive been eyeballing these for a while. im currently using some sworks 6 laceups, replaced the laces with some of the stretchy laces but i just cant get 100% happy with them.

the bonts seem to be pretty popular / aero. just wondering if any twitchers are wearing these. im in the states in texas and i havnt been able to find a dealer anywhere remotely close, even by contacting bont directly. i really like how the sworks shoes fit me (i have 3 different models) but the zeros really do look appealing.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recent thread about them:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=bont#p7060721

I ordered mine direct from Bont when they had a sale coupon last Xmas. I find in terms of length they were pretty true to size compared to, say, Shimano. They do tend to be a little bit wider than other shoes. I ordered the 'wide' version on top of that, and it was a nice fit width wise. I find shoes like sidi mega can be really sloppy in the ankle, but the bonts aren't, just a little more width in the mid and for-foot.

They look great (the zero+ specifically) and seem to be really high quality, but I could not get comfortable in them and I found that they didn't have enough height volume in them to put a aftermarket insole/orthotic in them. They were also no lighter than a stock shimano shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

I ordered mine direct from Bont when they had a sale coupon last Xmas. I find in terms of length they were pretty true to size compared to, say, Shimano. They do tend to be a little bit wider than other shoes. I ordered the 'wide' version on top of that, and it was a nice fit width wise. I find shoes like sidi mega can be really sloppy in the ankle, but the bonts aren't, just a little more width in the mid and for-foot.

They look great (the zero+ specifically) and seem to be really high quality, but I could not get comfortable in them and I found that they didn't have enough height volume in them to put a aftermarket insole/orthotic in them. They were also no lighter than a stock shimano shoe.

thats very good info. i use custom insoles so thats worth taking into consideration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wear them with an insole and dont find them too low. as for sizing if u can try other models - go for it - it fits very similar to vaypor.

they are heat mouldable but mine are comfy straight out of the box
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

thats very good info. i use custom insoles so thats worth taking into consideration.

Yeah what I was eventually told was that if you aren't comfortable in their mega stiff carbon tub shape out of the box, then you'd likely have to get a full custom pair from them to be comfy. I'm guessing the ones you see Jan wearing (and Rinny?) are probably full custom. I looked into it, I think they send out a custom mold kit to cast your feet, but decided against it because it was kind of unlcear where I'd have to ship the molds to, who sends them to me to begin with, etc etc. When I emailed them about it, I got a response after a week which was something to the effect of 'buy it on our website, and someone will contact you...'

I decided to go with Simmons Racing, waiting for my shoes to arrive.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 21, 19 5:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of these a couple years ago. They were unimaginably uncomfortable. Like, I couldn't even ride an hour easy uncomfortable. I tried the oven molding thing twice. Now they just sit in my basement basically unused. On the off chance you have small feet (~41) I'll ship mine to you for super cheap.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoes are so specific for the individual. I’ve been wearing bonts for years and won’t use anything else. Sizing is a bit weird and you really need to try a pair on. They fit perfect for me out of the box and I don’t heat mold them
Quote Reply
Re: anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I bought a pair of these a couple years ago. They were unimaginably uncomfortable. Like, I couldn't even ride an hour easy uncomfortable. I tried the oven molding thing twice. Now they just sit in my basement basically unused. On the off chance you have small feet (~41) I'll ship mine to you for super cheap.

thanks for the offer... im a 43/44.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I 've had by bont zero+ and vapor S for two years now and they are still awesome. Best way for sizing is place your foot on a sheet of paper or cardboard and trace it out and plug in the dimensions to their online tool, its spot on. When you get the shoes, they are heat moldable, take out the cheap insole, and place them in the oven for temp/duration as the instructions say and then put your insole back in and bam. I have had no issues with hot spots/numbness or anything of that nature and for tri's the zero+ are great.

damon.lebeouf wrote:
ive been eyeballing these for a while. im currently using some sworks 6 laceups, replaced the laces with some of the stretchy laces but i just cant get 100% happy with them.

the bonts seem to be pretty popular / aero. just wondering if any twitchers are wearing these. im in the states in texas and i havnt been able to find a dealer anywhere remotely close, even by contacting bont directly. i really like how the sworks shoes fit me (i have 3 different models) but the zeros really do look appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes? [Mgibo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a fan of these shoes having ridden them almost 1000km and 10+ heat molding sessions.
After 4 attempts at the dealer I started to experiment at home with moving the cleat all the way front/back/and in between. Then when molding I tried different thickness soles, different padding or none to free up toe space when molding, and vacuum bagging when molding which helps.
Problem is I can never get my entire foot to touch the sole when pedalling; most of the contact is in the front half of the shoe so after 25-30km the balls of my feet hurt.
You can't lock the heel down in this design since it only has 1 BOA unless you overtighten your toes too. I think there is a reason why most shoes have 2 dials.
I have Sidi Drakos which can lock down the heel but keep the toes comfy because it has 2 dials.
I now have some $2 Aliexpress high arch plastic backed insoles which seems to be the best solution far; but as usual after 30KM my feet are aching because the 1 dial design sucks.
For the price why can't Bont supply adjustable arch insoles?
I bet the 2 dial Vaypors are much better but I wanted the aero cover.
If Bont was smart they would sell a version of the Vaypor with an aero cover.
Since these are so expensive I will try a few more times to get them to be comfortable but will probably break down and try another brand soon.
These will be relegated to short rides on my folding bike since that is all they seem good for.
Bont; you lost a customer for life selling crap like this.
Last edited by: Ttakata73: Oct 21, 19 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

I bought a pair last year as I was sold on the aero gains. Even after heat molding them around 5 times I could never find a good fit. I got them to a point where they were decent but anytime I would ride over 2hrs they would get very uncomfortable. After further research I have found that you either love them or hate them so I strongly suggest you try on a pair before buying them. Also, I can't remember which Pro tested them but around 6 months I read that they actually tested 4w slower than some other shoes because although they are aero with the cover, they are extremely wide shoes.

I have since switched to the Giro SLX Empire and they are 50 grams lighter, more aero and the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent about the shoes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their sizing tool seems accurate and I ordered a speedplay specific wide Zero+. I tried stock insoles, more comfortable ones from a LG shoe, and SuperFeet. Couldn't get them to be comfortable for 5 hours. Not the least comfortable shoe for me, but not as comfortable as LG (what I had prior) and Gaerne (what I have now). Also, I didn't dare race in them without socks which costs time in T1, and while they look smooth/aero, I'm not convinced they are that aero. The big velcro flap has seams just like a typical triathlon strap, and the carbon tub makes the shoes much wider than other shoes. I'd venture a guess that lace up Specialized or Giro with elastic laces are faster
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Mar 5, 20 23:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure Shama sells Bonts. Or at least he used to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

If you still have those Bonts in size 41 I’m interested. Sent you a PM.

Cheers,
Stu
Quote Reply
Re: anyone wearing bont zero+ shoes? [Mgibo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mgibo wrote:
I 've had by bont zero+ and vapor S for two years now and they are still awesome. Best way for sizing is place your foot on a sheet of paper or cardboard and trace it out and plug in the dimensions to their online tool, its spot on. When you get the shoes, they are heat moldable, take out the cheap insole, and place them in the oven for temp/duration as the instructions say and then put your insole back in and bam. I have had no issues with hot spots/numbness or anything of that nature and for tri's the zero+ are great.

damon.lebeouf wrote:

How does the retention system on the zero+ compare to the vapyor s? I’m concerned that it’ll over tighten some parts of the show while under tightening others as it only has one boa dial.

Also is the fit otherwise the same between the two?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I scored some zero+ for very cheap so gave them a try. The comfort level is ok...heat molding seems to do nothing at all. A bit like a running shoe where your foot is worked differently and then adapts. I get along with mine but since they are literally very stiff. A bit undecided how aero they are (overshoe or just aero socks for tt?). Thinking of DIY drilling them for speedplays soon.
My road shoes are the bontrager ballista which can be found cheap (so less of a polarizing gamble vs bonts)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long time Bont supporter here. I have wide feet which always makes shoe selection difficult, but it is even harder for me as one foot is wider than the other! I find Bont super comfortable and very long lasting- I usually get 60-80k km of riding out of a pair!

For this reason I am a big fan of the Bont semi custom program - way cheaper than Bont full custom but gives me a shoe properly sized for each foot. Plus with semi custom you can specify what colours of material you want where on the shoe which is quite fun given the stock colour schemes are a bit dull. Vaypor S has been my preferred model, the aero ones look a bit silly to my eye and I seriously doubt the aero credentials.

Don't be seduced by the heat moulding though, pure marketing BS ....I have never been able to get anything from it, despite cranking up the temp and the time in the oven....some claim that super aggressive heat with a heat gun does the trick, but mine are pretty much comfy enough without this aggressive action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone has experience with Bont's full custom program? I have wide feet that are very wide at the mid section. After trying Lake CX238 wide and Vaypor+ wide, I still haven't found a shoe that is wide enough at the widest point of my feet. I always get a hot spot after ~2 hours of riding and then my feet become extremely uncomfortable. I tried molding the Vaypor+ and pushing back the carbon at the outside, but this not seem to make it wide enough for me. According to my fitter, the double wide size is only wider in the forefoot, so that would not be an option for me.

Right now I'm looking at Zero+ full-custom with 4-bolt sole, but I am still hesitant because this is a very expensive upgrade.
Quote Reply