Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers?
Quote | Reply
i purchased my wife a kickr and the most she can manage is about an hour in the saddle before shes getting really uncomfortable.

i just started using my tri bike on the tacx neo we were sharing and an hour or so is about as long as i can manage without having to spend a lot of time out of the saddle getting breaks and readjusting.

ive seen a lot of the home-made rocker plates, and even the "rockr" made by a company called SBR. ive read a lot of rave reviews saying that this alleviates all the soreness you get with e-trainers on stationary longer rides.

whats the collective slowtwitch opinion on these? any of you guys using these?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try a spongy yoga mat first. dirt cheap, and allows for some rocking.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked at their video, and it looks like a good idea. Somewhat pricey for what appears to be a simple device, but DIY versions may not be as easy to make as they seem.

I suppose the price would eventually come down once they are mass produced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i purchased my wife a kickr and the most she can manage is about an hour in the saddle before shes getting really uncomfortable.

i just started using my tri bike on the tacx neo we were sharing and an hour or so is about as long as i can manage without having to spend a lot of time out of the saddle getting breaks and readjusting.

ive seen a lot of the home-made rocker plates, and even the "rockr" made by a company called SBR. ive read a lot of rave reviews saying that this alleviates all the soreness you get with e-trainers on stationary longer rides.

Are you sure your fit is good and have a quality pair of shorts? I’ve done 4+ hour sessions and been fine?
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

Are you sure your fit is good and have a quality pair of shorts? I’ve done 4+ hour sessions and been fine?

i’m using roka tri shorts (i race in their tri suits) and had a professional fit from a well respected fitter in houston, Tad Hughes. i feel i’m covered in that area, or at least i should be. i don’t have the same discomfort on the road that i do when the bike is mounted to the trainer. basically same story for my wife.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no matter how good the shorts, how good the fit, how good the saddle, you are always going to end up uncomfortable on the saddle after 2.5-3 hours. You just don't move around enough like you do outside. If you do a spin class, you will feel fine for hours as you are up and out of the saddle often. Doing long sessions on the trainer just creates pressure you can't fix.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [lemos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemos wrote:
try a spongy yoga mat first. dirt cheap, and allows for some rocking.
I have the front wheel of my bike on a 2.5" thick closed cell foam pad used for balance training - I think it's sold by Airex. And the trainer itself on a yoga mat folded to be double thick.

The bike doesn't rock side to side noticeably, but there is a bit of give to the whole thing, analogous perhaps to an extra-soft saddle. It helps with comfort. I never ride over an hour anyway, but this makes that hour better.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Sorry, no matter how good the shorts, how good the fit, how good the saddle, you are always going to end up uncomfortable on the saddle after 2.5-3 hours. You just don't move around enough like you do outside. If you do a spin class, you will feel fine for hours as you are up and out of the saddle often. Doing long sessions on the trainer just creates pressure you can't fix.

well of course. its inherent to riding a bike. problem is i cant make it an hour right now, whereas i can go much longer outside.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, I don't think the lack of rocker is an issue. I can literally stay in my aero position for hours without noticing. I do get up every now and then to get up hills etc with Zwift, but not because I'm uncomfortable. You may want to check your fit. The rocker plate is only to simulate the rocking effect that you would get on the road for added leverage when climbing etc. It's not really for additional comfort as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a DIY rocking plate (there's a Facebook group with discussion on the different ways to build one) and it really does make indoor riding more enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [justtrime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justtrime wrote:
Hmmm, I don't think the lack of rocker is an issue. I can literally stay in my aero position for hours without noticing. I do get up every now and then to get up hills etc with Zwift, but not because I'm uncomfortable. You may want to check your fit. The rocker plate is only to simulate the rocking effect that you would get on the road for added leverage when climbing etc. It's not really for additional comfort as far as I know.

everyones physiology is different... maybe you're just made differently or you've found just the right saddle. again i dont think i have a fit or clothing issue as i dont experience this discomfort when im out riding on the road. im sure my fit could be tweaked for sure, just like everyones.

from what ive read on facebook groups like tyler mentioned as well as comments on reviews and such there are many that have realized an added comfort benefit from a rocker. PERSONALLY i couldnt care less about making it feel more realistic or closer to an on road feel for a fun aspect, other than adding the possible comfort benefits. if i was more comfortable i could sit there and grind out a 3 hour ride and never move other than to grab the cell phone or a bottle of drink occasionally.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made one mostly following these plans:

https://zwiftinsider.com/rockit-launcher/

I used precut 2x2 plywood because I was too lazy to cut my own and I skipped the metal bar. I’m using foam from a shipping box for a computer and it works great. I had to play around with positioning but it’s fine now. Depending on how much you way you might have to try a few things. I’ve seen a nerf football cut in half used. I actually bought one but ended up just playing with it.

I really like it. I “turn” into corners now on Zwift. I bought a little metal lazy Susan type thing for my front riser block but that’s as far as I went. My thought was to make it so I could move the handlebars. Maybe someday.

Not sure if a rocker plate means you go from one hour to four hours, but it’s pretty fun.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
I’ve seen a nerf football cut in half used. I actually bought one but ended up just playing with it.

I really like it. I “turn” into corners now on Zwift. I bought a little metal lazy Susan type thing for my front riser block but that’s as far as I went. My thought was to make it so I could move the handlebars. Maybe someday.

these two statements are so awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made my own for my Hammer. If you’re a Facebooker there’s a group called Zwift rocker plates. Join it, there’s plenty of plans on there to build something simple, or all out.
I was a roller guy for 20 years. I got the hammer and couldn’t take more than an hour in it. Made the rocker and was able to do 4 hours no problem. It made a huge difference for me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

My couple of thoughts. I've been using an SBR Rockr for about 6 months. I train on a Tacx Neo which I think is just the best of the best. My fit and saddle are dialed in. No pain anywhere, can stay in aero all damn day, saddle is great, etc. I've been doing this for enough years to on different turbo setups to know the tedious nature and drawbacks to a strictly fixed position on the turbo. Enter the Rockr plate. It gives me a road feel. I am able to get the the float and motion I have on the road. I can climb out of the saddle and it feels real. It is fantastic. It does far more than just let me move back and forth. It simulates the float I get out of my tyres on the road and allows me to train more comfortably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timely . This was posted this morning

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...moving-platform.html
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Timely . This was posted this morning

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...moving-platform.html

Is it available yet?
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [Dreadnought] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"late stage prototype" so I'm guessing it will be available in the next six months or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:

They certainly help, but they aren't magic. I probably increased my comfortable trainer time by 75%.

I built one in about an hour using 3/4" plywood, 3/4" linear shaft, and 4 pillow block bearings. I'm using ratcheting tie-downs to hold the trainer down and spike balls to center the board.

Rocker Photos

Last edited by: bufordt: Jul 8, 18 13:51
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much space do you have between the 2 sheets of plywood? Do you think it’s too much or too little or just right? Anything you’d change?

I’m planning my gen2 rocker and I like the steel shaft version.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the shaft, there is 2 5/8" between the plywood.

I don't feel like it's too little, but I haven't been doing any huge sprints/climbs out of the saddle, so ymmv. Without the spike balls it will tilt over more than I'm comfortable with, but if I ever needed more tilt, I guess I could add a spacer under the bearings, or cut the bottom plywood back to give it another 3/4" to rock.

Summer came before I finish, and I'm still deciding how to proceed. My ultimate plan is to contour around whatever smart trainer I buy, and to find a better way to secure the spike balls. Right now I'm just using duck tape to just stick them in place. I also plan to put skateboard decktape on top, and add an extension onto the shaft to make the front wheel platform tilt, but that's pretty far in the future.

If I had it to do again, I would go with a 24" shaft instead of the 36" one. The 36" one sticks out more than I expected.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mid atlantic weather has been super unreliable last 2 years (plus i'm old and not a fan of wet and/or cold) -- so occasional longer wknd trainer rides have appeal. any more feedback about what is working for some who have been using one and maybe even tinkering with it for improvements??
i think i can handle bolting 4 pillow blocks to 2 sheets of plywood then experimenting with springs of tennis balls/wheelbarrow tubes (easier to type than do - but we'll see!). thanks for teh links/pics on that last build.
any feedback on full length platform (does it help if front wheel rocks also?) vs. just the trainer?? sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the SBR rockr pod. Its $$$ but ultimately i'd buy it again. I went from 90min max on the trainer to able to do 3hrs now without discomfort. It's not a "fit" thing, its a static positioning. The rockr pod certainly makes things more bearable. Works really well with my KICKR. I couldnt be damned with the DIY route, especially after pricing everything out properly it was starting to creep into pre-made prices depending on parts and availability.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone using a rocker plate for their e-trainers? [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how bout the Kinetic R1 trainer, built in rocker

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply

Prev Next