Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone see "Law an Order" last night?
Quote | Reply
I only caught the beginning but the female murder victim was a motivational speaker, former Olympian swimmer and three time Iron Man winner.

Hey, triathlon is finally being noticed.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She had two problems, she drank too much and she couldn't fly.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good one Bob, that was pretty nasty looking when they showed her hanging from the tree.

Is it just me? I was a bit put off that on top of all the great accomplishments that they gave this fictional charactor, they also choose to have her be gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it just seemed like they went over the top with giving a lot of stereotypical charactoristics to this person. Not meaning to step on any toes, and not being homophobic and all of the other standard disclaimers.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the things I could not get straight(no pun intended) was the fact that the little partner was able to launch this athlete over the balcony and not have her land on the projecting roof. I don't think she could have done it to Badmann or Bowden.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was a bit put off that on top of all the great accomplishments that they gave this fictional charactor, they also choose to have her be gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that..."

Reread what you just wrote. I'm confused. You make the point that you where put off that she was gay but then why do you say there was nothing wrong with it? Just say what you think. Is it off putting or not?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dear Mr. Tibbs,

I think he realized that some people might think he was objecting to the act of being gay, when imho he was objecting to the tv stereotype that all successful female athletes must be gay.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So why is it an issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I just interpret. Can't actually make an argument of my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yarf cutting through the fog of TIbbs since 1953.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they actually called it "Big Island Ironwoman Triathlon"...ans she won it three times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, what Yarf said.

I don't have any objections to someone being gay, but I hate it that there is a stereotype that all female athletes are gay. It didn't stop there though, they totally described a text book case of a type A personality and then attached Ironman Champion to it. I guess that is the way the general public sees us. If you are a successful female triathlete, you must be type A and be gay, that's what I have a problem with, I've never met a female Ironman champion that could be further from that type of description and I have met quite a few of them. As an aside, Lori Bowden is the speaker at our club meeting tonight, how lucky are we!!

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to watch Law and Order all the time until a few years back when the writers went way over the top (at least to my Patriotic Canadian side) and did an episode where they slammed Canada for not having a death penalty and portrayed the Canadians (I think there were some consul types and a few law enforcement officers) as totally uneducated, backwoods yokels. Since then, no Law and Order for me .... obviously the writing hasn't improved :)
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a huge fan until a few years ago. I quit watching when they started doing those stupid "RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES" commercials. Sorry I missed the one the other night.

http://www.imf2006.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [cerveloguy] by Allan
Post: I used to watch Law and Order all the time until a few years back when the writers went way over the top (at least to my Patriotic Canadian side) and did an episode where they slammed Canada for not having a death penalty and portrayed the Canadians (I think there were some consul types and a few law enforcement officers) as totally uneducated, backwoods yokels. Since then, no Law and Order for me .... obviously the writing hasn't improved :)"

And here I am, a major fan. Not only of Law and Order, but of Sam Waterston, who was a co-star (with Jeff Bridges) some 30 years ago in Rancho Delux - one of the great cult classics in cinema history.

I remember that L&O episode - and saw it differently, albeit from this side of the border. It involved one of the more depraved serial killers in television history - and when the coppers closed in on him, he scampered across the northern NY border into eastern Ontario, relying on a rule preventing a Canadian court from extraditing an accused person to a jurisdiction where the death penalty could be imposed for the crime specified in the warrant.

The issue is a poignant one for many of us state-siders. I live in Michigan, and we haven't had the death penalty in over 100 years. I believe Michigan has taken the enlightened position (in contrast to the death-a-minute crowd from Texas) . . . but the homicidal maniac portrayed on the L&O episode in question certain tests one's faith.

Incidentally, the NY DA sent to argue the case before the Ontario provincial court ultimately outwitted the killer. She dropped the capital murder charge and just sought extradition on a lesser charge (possession of stolen property or something of the like). Since the death penalty could not be imposed for that lesser crime, the Ontario magistrate had no recourse but to grant extradition. And, of course, once the prisoner reached NY soil, the murder charge was reinstated.

Bottom line: I thought it was a well-crafted story . . . but I guess what one sees depends entirely upon where one is standing.

Lew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like the reason why I stick to the History Channel and CNN.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: anyone see "Law an Order" last night? [Lew Kidder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lew

You are correct that it depends on what side of the fence you are viewing it from. While I think that our policy of not sending scumbags back to face the punishment that is doled out where they came from is lunacy (why we want to keep them here at our expense is beyond me?) it wasn't the storyline that offended me, but the way the Canadians in the show were being portrayed at the time. I just found it somewhat insulting so I don't bother watching anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan - If it is any consolation, the creators of L&O are similarly merciless in their portrayals of Americans - especially those within the judicial system. From my 35 years as a practicing attorney, moreover, I can't say they are all that far off the mark.

Lew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allan,

You're taking this far more personal than I am. It's a great show and did demonstrate Canada in a hypothetical situation. However, in real life, I do remember CDN authorities arresting and sending an American murderer back to the states. His defense was that he would face the death penalty in the US but we sent the SOB back any ways, which I was glad to see.
Quote Reply