Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
anyone else sick of cervelo?
Quote | Reply
Maybe its the carbonbs I had tonight but my best friend just got a.p2c and I've been dealing with a month of.how cervelo is the best bikes ever....blah blahblah I dunno.I'm just sick of this cerbelo smugness.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Sunkist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am no Cervelo fanboi and I have never owned a Cervelo. But, they were/are innovators in the field and continue to provide exceptional bang for the buck. Not sure there is any smugness. The P4 kinda fell flat and they don't really have anything that is being called a "superbike" on par with Trek SC, Shiv, etc. You hear more smack talking from Trek and Specialized owners than from Cervelo owners.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so its all because of your "best friend"? he bought the 3rd fastest model of the brand....
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tommorow afternoon i will tear my friend apart on a 40 mile ride and not to say velos arent good bikes but look at when thor won that round on the s5. a huge part of the forum said it was all bike. they also will say crowie rode the unnamed p4 to a win and so on and so on.....there are a few speed concept owners in my town and i can honestly say that i personally like the shiv much better considering 99% of people dont get fitted i mean hell....i never got fitted but my bike adjusts like a mofo. shiv owners i havent heard much from because i dont see them around but cervelo was not that much of an innovator in my opinion considering the kg196 (im looking for a frame if anyone has one) was in the 90's being basically as aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nah whether it be a p3 or 4 its the same bs. i have owned cervelos and my favorite one was the soloist aluminum circa 05. would i buy a cervelo for say my girlfriend? absolutely.....tried to buy that 51 cm p3sl to get her riding to get rid of her pos bianchi but i dont think she is too into riding it is by far her weak point but........i mean i dont think i will ever buy a felt again after buying a 2008 da used in 2011 and then finding out every single felt is made from that mold. even buying the new da then finding out they are going to make 4 or so other da's which is bs. i just dont like em. my opinion :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunkist wrote:
Maybe its the carbonbs I had tonight but my best friend just got a.p2c and I've been dealing with a month of.how cervelo is the best bikes ever....blah blahblah I dunno.I'm just sick of this cerbelo smugness.

-------------

You picked the wrong place to bitch about Cervelo as the Cervelo Cult of North America is based here at Slowtwitch

----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like you are a little envious of your friend. It's ok that he has a better bike than you, be the bigger man and applaud him for his new purchase. I would say Cervelo is getting old, but quite frankly it isn't, sorry.

Quote | Reply
I ride a P2. I don't consider myselve as "part of a cult". When shopping for a tribike (already had racewheels) I wanted a proven construction for a reasonable amount of money. I am not an engineer and I don't own a windtunnel or wanted to spend money for testing.

I got a complete P2 (with training wheels) for 2000 EUR. The very same frame, Chrissie Wellington already won Hawaii on. I had my fit already done on my last bike (a quintana roo caliente aluminium bike) and could easily get the same fit on the cervelo. The longer headtube might make it slower for more flexible people, for me it is perfect (I still run a few spacers).

No other brand even offered a Kona winning bike (not frame, complete bike) for 2000 EUR at that time in Europe. And the parts were good enough to run the whole bike out of the box. Nothing really needed change. I changed the crank later, because I got a very cheap Dura Ace crankset, but this won't make me faster.

I bet, that if you put the right person on a stock 2000 EUR P2, add racewheels, that this bike is could win races right out of the box. There are some "cheap" components (like the tektro brakes), but those are carefully selected to give the same performance as top of the line parts.

Where is the competition for a 2000 EUR complete bike with excellent aerodynamics and a proven history.

Another reason for me is, that I believe in mass production. The more pieces on the road, the more perfect the construction has to become and the more easy it is to find fixes for the remaining bugs. Cervelos P2 has one big bug, thats the rear adjustment screw. But you google it, and about 10.000 tips come up with a good solution (use blue loctite to fix the screw). Perfect? No. But every problem encountered on a p2 (bad adjustment screw, squeaky seatpost, rear hydration ...) has been solved by other people. For me this is a huge advantage over more exotic bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunkist wrote:

well you can just remind him that the p2 is just a starter cervelo ;)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I forgot one issue with the cervelo P2 I could not solve yet: on a tacx trainer, the adjustment screw of the tacx is too close to the RD. Tried it with a longer nut, but bent the skewer. So I had to change my trainer, run a cycleops now, but for strength training, I would get more resistance from the tacx ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunkist wrote:

I think part of it is your friend. I know a guy with a P2 and a S5 and that is pretty much all he talks about. Not really smugness, though, just how much he likes the bikes.

Personally, I just wanted something different than the predominant brand in tri bikes. I'm not saying that's a good reason, but now I just worry about the engine . . .

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the Cervelo Cult of North America is based here at Slowtwitch"

official speed concept owners thread is approaching 3600 posts. official shiv thread is much newer, and has upwards of 300 posts. if you search "shiv" you get 7000 posts. seach "felt da" you get 5000 posts.
just wondering what major tri bike brand does not have its "cult of north america based here at slowtwitch?"

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that as I'm reading this post a giant red Cervelo advertising banner appears flashing across the screen!

Great bikes, but they do seem to be getting a bit "everyone's got one" around here....... Success breeds success I guess.

http://rogersroadrash.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSA: This is dumb as shit. Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a word: No.

In fact, I'm itchin' to get me a new one shortly ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"the Cervelo Cult of North America is based here at Slowtwitch"

official speed concept owners thread is approaching 3600 posts. official shiv thread is much newer, and has upwards of 300 posts. if you search "shiv" you get 7000 posts. seach "felt da" you get 5000 posts.
just wondering what major tri bike brand does not have its "cult of north america based here at slowtwitch?"

Does Cannondale count as "major?" Or Giant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I am no Cervelo fanboi and I have never owned a Cervelo. But, they were/are innovators in the field and continue to provide exceptional bang for the buck. Not sure there is any smugness. The P4 kinda fell flat and they don't really have anything that is being called a "superbike" on par with Trek SC, Shiv, etc. You hear more smack talking from Trek and Specialized owners than from Cervelo owners.

Just because I feel like I have to say it; you know that the P4 has tested to be as good as those bikes, right?

(at certain yaw angles, and actually better than those bikes at others)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P4 kinda fell flat and they don't really have anything that is being called a "superbike" on par with Trek SC, Shiv, etc. You hear more smack talking from Trek and Specialized owners than from Cervelo owners.

I agree that the P4 kinda fell flat, but merely because it was a bit of a pain in the ass as it was first released. It was very hard to work on (both for the owner and for the shops), but it was never anything short of a dream to ride and race. (Well, the water bottle situation made it a little tough for long-course training/racing, too.) Mine developed a hairline crack and Cervelo rushed me a warranty replacement which was a 2011 frameset. All of the issues that made the original such a pain in the ass were resolved (along with better bottle options) and this bike is more of a dream than the earlier one. I also own a Speed Concept 9.9 Di2. For you to say that the Cervelo P4 is not on par with it is ignorance.

I would like to have a Shiv, though.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does that make ST a cult composed of cultists?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
PSA: This is dumb as shit. Carry on.

Agreed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Ignorance is a bliss.......

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once I save a few pennies a new S5 will be in my future to replace the SLC. I like the way you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend not to jump on any bandwagon sports team or otherwise. But I bought a 2010 S1 earlier this year and have been blown away. It just does everything well. I love my other bikes which include a C'Dale and two Santa Cruz', but the S1 is my favorite right now.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone else sick of cervelo? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Does Cannondale count as "major?" Or Giant?"

cannondale yes, giant no. not yet. but i think giant is reenergized in the multisport space, so, we'll see what happens.

cannondale gets a lot of love here. not just by editors, but by readers. when nibali showed up, entirely unannounced, at the giro, with c'dale trying hard to HIDE the fact of the testing of its new bike, two threads with about a hundred posts popped up.

when you poll slowtwitchers, they're as or more likely, or almost as likely, to want a trek, or felt, or specialized, as a cervelo, and when c'dale actually has this bike in stores, and folks are able to palpate it, this will be a very popular bike as well.

it's truer to say we have a cervelo-hater cult on slowtwitch than a cervelo cult on slowtwitch. fortunately, while it's vocal, it's pretty small. but it still causes me to scratch my head. i can only assume it's peopled by those who tried to get a sponsorship or a deal on a cervelo and were denied.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next