Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anybody using apple watch 4 for ECG feature?
Quote | Reply
I don't currently own an apple watch but the apple watch 4 with ECG sounds interesting. Wondering if it's worth considering for that and fitness tracking for my swims and runs.

Or I guess I could upgrade to a fenix or 935 and get the advanced HR metrics.

https://www.wareable.com/...-app-deep-heart-6396

I don't know if I need any of this but I'm always looking for ways to justifying upgrading.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody using apple watch 4 for ECG feature? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I don't currently own an apple watch but the apple watch 4 with ECG sounds interesting. Wondering if it's worth considering for that and fitness tracking for my swims and runs.

It is super cool. In fact, I just did my ECG now, because it is fun. But, I do not think it is of any value. It is kind of like Apple's implementation of HRV. Again, cool that it collects it, but Apple's implement is truly useless.

The 935 is a brazillion times better as a fitness tracker and activity tracker compared to the AW.
Quote Reply
Re: anybody using apple watch 4 for ECG feature? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
mickison wrote:

It is super cool. In fact, I just did my ECG now, because it is fun. But, I do not think it is of any value. It is kind of like Apple's implementation of HRV. Again, cool that it collects it, but Apple's implement is truly useless.

The 935 is a brazillion times better as a fitness tracker and activity tracker compared to the AW.

does the 935 track heart rate while sleeping? it seems it does. I think I would be interested in that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
does the 935 track heart rate while sleeping? it seems it does. I think I would be interested in that.
I do not know first-hand, but probably. I have a 735XT, and it tracks HR and all kinds of sleep metrics. It does an excellent job with sleep tracking in general.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been reading up on the Apple Watch ECG a bit, but do not own one nor have I used one.

1. To call this an ECG is misleading, but from a product perspective I can understand why they went with that (over)simplicity.
2. To function in "ECG" mode, you need to have the watch on your wrist and finger on the crown. This completes the circuit. ie, it would be very difficult to use during exercise (I also assume that the additional electrical "noise" would stymie it's accuracy)
3. I'm fairly sure that this would be able to "detect" many arrhythmias at rest, however, this is unlikely during exercise (see above). The only arrhythmia that it seems to categorise is atrial fibrillation. This may be valuable to some, or not. Unfortunately, I doubt that it has the ability to detect the "silent killers" that cause "athletes" to "drop dead". (Long QT, WPW, etc)
4. I also doubt it will be able to detect perfusion issues: ST-segment depression from ischemia, "heart-attacks", etc. (However, I'll go on a limb and say that this ability is of more value to the general public than rhythm issues. Double so if possible during exercise).

In my opinion, it is super-cool that they're trying to integrate this technology into wearables. I do, however, feel this is premature as a product.
If anyone is considering this because they fear cardiac issues, please see a cardiologist to discuss your concerns. Resting EKG, Stress Tests and Holter monitors are all of more significant clinical value.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: anybody using apple watch 4 for ECG feature? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think it's cool but definitely wasn't thinking about it for during exercise. I like the idea of having my HR data available for analysis after the fact, like with garmin and the cardiogram algorithm, only thought it would be cool to have the data to detect anomalies. so yeah, I wouldn't have the idea it would somehow replace discussing with my doctor if I thought I had potential issues. I think I'm leaning towards the garmin 935 for the battery life and obviously because it's a triathlon watch. The garmin fenix 5 seems a little too bulky IMO
Quote Reply