Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

another question about training with PVCs
Quote | Reply
I have read a bunch of the post on the forum but wanted to see if someone had a similar situation.

I randomly get pvcs, pretty hard thuds but mostly when I am at rest and occasionally when I am exercising.

Wednesday after a bike ride I started feeling a little "off" and noticed I started having very frequent pvcs, These lasted consistently for about 5 hours before I decided maybe to go to urgent care in which time they directed me to the ER.

At the Hospital they continued, so I was given a blood thinner to prevent clots and kept overnight.

Next day the runs of Pvcs continued but ultimately all blood work was good and echo was good so I was released with no restrictions just instructions to follow up with cardiologist which I have already made an app at U of Penn.

Has anyone else here get long bouts of PVCs like this, Although I have no restrictions its now in the back of my head that something could be wrong.

Thanks

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: another question about training with PVCs [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is PVC?
Quote Reply
Re: another question about training with PVCs [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What is PVC?

Premature ventricular contractions. A type of heart arrhythmia. PVCs are weird beats that are usually very noticeable to the person experiencing them.

surfNJmatt wrote:
Has anyone else here get long bouts of PVCs like this

It's happened to me before, but it's been quite a few years. I do get occasional PVCs, but nothing very sustained since then. Feeling the heart erratically fluttering at rest for hours is definitely a frightening experience.

In my case, the cardiologist had me wear a holter monitor for a little while. I only had a few brief episodes while wearing it, but the cardiologist determined that my palpitations appeared benign outside of the obvious transient heart inefficiency. He told me that he'd attempt an ablation if I wanted but that it would probably also be okay to just deal with it, so I've been going with the latter choice.

Quote:
its now in the back of my head that something could be wrong.

Well, yeah. The heart is fairly important, so it's kind of unsettling when something is going wrong with it!

But the first step is sorting things out with a cardiologist.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Apr 16, 21 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: another question about training with PVCs [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow thanks for this info! Actually need to see my doc because I feel like this might be what I have had in the past. For me it feels like an irregular and very hard heart beat for a few seconds then it’ll go away. Hasn’t happened in a while but seemed to happen a few times a month when I was training more. The irregular timing of them makes me forget about them but I know i need to go see my doc just to be sure.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: another question about training with PVCs [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I'm told, an athlete having a couple hundred PVC's a day is pretty normal. Now what you had is not normal, and I have had similar situations. What I have found is that they "always" coincide with some other, or many different variables that can negatively affect your heart rhythm. For me is is mostly a loss of sodium and magnesium. I find that if I quickly supplement with both of those, the irregular beats will stop pretty quickly. It can also be from stress, loss of sleep, too much coffee, drinking booze, and a few other things that can blow you up.

You have to step out of yourself and really examine what was/is going on at the time. Over the years if you have a bunch of these, you will be able to narrow down the triggers, and thus avoid them. And if you are training very hard, it really doesnt take much of any of these to have an affect, so drill down to what is going on from that standpoint, and you might be able to stay off the doctors table for decades to come...

Good luck, keep us posted..
Quote Reply