Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

another Cervelo Soloist question
Quote | Reply
from a previous post:

> What I would like to know from this forum is whether I should switch my bars to bull horns or possibly attach a profile bar. I am looking for people who use the Soloist for triathlons..

I own a 2002 soloist, and was also thinking of putting a one-piece aerobar with bar-end shifters for the next tri season, since I haven't convinced my wife (yet...) that I can really use having a P2k. I have not had any issues like the ones described by Tom D and the magazine. So I have 2 questions for Tom and/or whoever has experience with the Soloist:

1)Have you heard similar reactions from people with a 2002 Soloist? In your opinion, how would the non-integrated HS and old(er) fork affect the handling issue, versus the -105 or -Team configuration? What about rider weight? Gerard identified the 2002 forks as being either 'Project Zero' or 'Chord'. I don't really know which one is on mine, but so far no problems.

2)If you have everything as steep as possible on a Soloist, together with a good low & aero fit on the front, how much better does it REALLY get with a P2k?? as in, help me find enough evidence to make a point for a P2k...

Dad, Husband, Weekend Warrior

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Re: another Cervelo Soloist question [don jc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, OK. Well, It may be worth mentioning that the Soloist series is intended to do double duty as a road and triathlon bike. Just like anything that does everything it doesn't do anything particularly well. However, the bike is serviceable at worst in either configuration. There may be a big difference in fork geometries/rakes and trails from 2002 Soloists to the 2003 Team models with the (recalled) Wolf forks. I'm not sure about this. I think it boils down to this: If you are doing triathlons buy a tri (specific) geometry bike if it fits your body measurements. If you are doing road group rides buy a road geometry bike. If you are doing both buy both.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my take, for what it's worth. If you put an integrated aero set on the Soloist, yes it will work fine. Run it at 76 degrees all the time and there is no real reason why it shouldn't work great as a "multi-sport" position tri bike, which may even for some people/courses be better than going steep. BUT.. you now have a bike that is for tris only. It is now useless for group riding, etc. This defeats the purpose that the Soloist was designed for, as a dual road/TT bike.

What do you intend to gain with spending the $$ for one piece bar set. They look really cool but according to the Vision Tech site this will give you less that a minute advantage over drop bars/clip-ons over 40 kms. And this is only theory based upon ideal flat conditions, so in the real world with climbing, descending, etc much of this theoretical aero advantage is probably negated. Thomas Hellreigal uses drop bars and look how fast he is, so any big aero advantage makes me wonder even further.

I agree with Tom. If you can afford a road and tri bike that's usually the best way to go (unless you've perfected the slam position). If you can't afford it, the Soloist is probably the best dual purpose bike out there. Personally, I'd leave it as it is.

That's my $.02.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: another Cervelo Soloist question [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy - I understand and totally appreciate what you say. At this point, affordability is an issue, so that's why I ended with the Soloist. In regards to what I expect to gain with an integrated aerobar, well, guess I was thinking of pushing the setup as close to a tri setup as possible once my race season is closer. At that time, I don't mind giving up group rides... anyhoo-thanks for your $0.02

Tom- thanks also, appreciate your input. I remember the review of the Soloist The Chameleon points out, and I thought you had really liked the ride in either setup. I am not saying you can't change your mind, I just thought you had definitely given the bike two spirited thumbs up...

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Re: another Cervelo Soloist question [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end (specifically the fork- older version may have different rake and/or trail- although I do not know that for a fact.) I do know my current Team Soloist has the "recalled" version of the Wolf fork, not the newer "replacement" version. Additionally, there have been very, very substantial changes to the rear of the bike in the area where the seat tube goes into the bottom bracket and also the seat stays themselves. The older bike has straight stays, the new one has "coke bottle" curved stays. Also, I believe the tubing is different, although I am not certain of that. The bike is "Smartwall 2" the older version (the black and blue one which seemed heavier and was definately more stable) may be different tubing. So, to summarize, here are the differences I know for a fact:

1. Different seat tube/bottom bracket union configuration.
2. Different Seat stays completely.
3. Different fork.

And what MAY be different that I cannot factually confirm in the time it took to reply to your inquiry:

1. Possible front end geometry change due to fork change.
2. Possible change in tubing to Smart Wall 2 from ???

I think a subtle conspiracy of these factors and the fact that my Soloist Team with FSA Carbon Pro TEam Issue cranks, an FSA titanium BB, Dura-Ace, a titanium Selle Italia SLR and Mavic Ksyriums is about 2 pounds (maybe more) lighter than the "original" Soloist I tested that was painted Black and Blue and was predominantly Shimano 105 have resulted in a major difference in handling.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Re: another Cervelo Soloist question [TheChameleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that is correct. The blue and black bike was represented to us and sold to us as a 2003 model (released during 2002 calendar year) and the Soloist Team is also regarded by Cervelo as a 2003 model year.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don jc, I have the black and blue model soloist that I bought in 2003 standard equip was Ultegra. I use it both in the Road configuration and the TRI (TT) or Forward seat position for Triathlons. I switch it to the forward seat location a few weeks before each tri to get used to the position if races are close enough I just keep it in that position. The reason for this is that the aero bars come off when in the road position, the seat goes back to roughly 73 and the handle bars come up on the steer tube. I have a stem with a slight rise. I left all the spacers on and I didn't cut the steer tube yet. When in the forward position I have to flip the stem (negative angle) and put it on the headset for the proper the height, and because of this I am too considering a stem, bullhorn (or one piece), with my aero bars attached, brake levers, and bar end shifters all with a separate set of cables. In addition to that purchase I would get a separate seat and cervelo's seat clamp (set for TT). With all this I could remove my road position seat and clamp replace with TT seat. Detach the cables and stem remove my road bars as a unit, move the spacers to where needed and replace with the bullhorn setup and attach cables. This way everything should be in the right position with every switch if marked properly after the proper fitting sessions for the road and TT positions. Make sense to you? Convenience is the only advantage I can see, and only if your or proficient in routing cables and adjusting deraileurs. I still haven't decided if I will do this or buy a dedicated TT bike.

Gotta go scare some defenseless kids, Happy Halloween.
Quote Reply
Re: another Cervelo Soloist question [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stewart, I hear you, man, same bike, same drivetrain, same idea. I also flip the stem, move the spacers, have a separate tri seat and seatpost head, and was simply trying to push the soloist closer to a 'shallow' tri setup (~76deg). I usually leave it like that few months before/throughout race season.

you gotta point Re: convenience of changing the setup back and forth. I think I just need to start saving up for a P2k or similar. I like steep, I know I run better off the 76deg setup. I just couldn't afford 2 bikes when I got the Soloist...

Blog , JC Tweets

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it boils down to how often you have to switch. I like training in the road position and often ride in a pack. You ride much with a group? I had four bikes already in my garage and brought home a new one (mountain bike) this past weekend. I haven't ridden anything steeper than the soloist in the forward position so I don't know if I will like it. I think a buddy has a bike that is steep, that will fit, I can put some miles on so I may borrow it to determine if I like it.
Quote Reply