Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

and another one gone.. Steve Pye memory eternal
Quote | Reply
triathlete, coach, friend, husband, father Steve Pye died while cycling, under a car's wheels

https://www.youcaring.com/...organizations-845186

He was a pillar of the Denver tri community, always kind and generous, a good friend.
Do a kindness for someone today in memory of Steve..
Quote Reply
Re: and another one gone.. Steve Pye memory eternal [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More sadness. Nice looking family.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: and another one gone.. Steve Pye memory eternal [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad. Hits too close to home.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just met Steve and have say we lost a really, really great guy and phenomenal advocate across all ability levels and disciplines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eyewitness account from the news Channel 7 blog,

"I was in the car directly behind the car that was involved on the accident and saw the whole thing right on front of me. There was nothing the driver could have done. It could have happened to any of us. The bicyclist ran over something it appeared and lost complete control of the bike and came out into the lane of traffic. I was there at the scene attending to the victim with two others that stopped to help. Be safe out there is all I can say. Riding on busy highways where vehicles travel at high speeds is so dangerous no matter how expert of a rider you are. "

Steve raced bikes in Europe with development teams, spent some time training at the Olympic Training Center in CO Springs, was about the best bike handler I knew.. there's a broad shoulder on that section of Wadsworth Drive, just can't imagine what might have happened. A blink of an eye..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
eyewitness account from the news Channel 7 blog,

"I was in the car directly behind the car that was involved on the accident and saw the whole thing right on front of me. There was nothing the driver could have done. It could have happened to any of us. The bicyclist ran over something it appeared and lost complete control of the bike and came out into the lane of traffic. I was there at the scene attending to the victim with two others that stopped to help. Be safe out there is all I can say. Riding on busy highways where vehicles travel at high speeds is so dangerous no matter how expert of a rider you are. "

Steve raced bikes in Europe with development teams, spent some time training at the Olympic Training Center in CO Springs, was about the best bike handler I knew.. there's a broad shoulder on that section of Wadsworth Drive, just can't imagine what might have happened. A blink of an eye..

Just bumping this as I missed it last year Doug, and you pointed to it recently on my accident thread. RIP Doug. I THINK we cannot let the fear of what MAY happen in a crash where we end up back in traffic bothering us in terms of the risk of riding. At the end of the day, the risk of this type of stuff is insanely low to the point of being none existent in the biking careers of almost all riders, but I guess it "can" happen. Like your friend, my bike handling skill are at the superior end of the spectrum even among roadies (as I mentioned, my buddy and I had a top 20 all time Alpe d'Huez descent Strava at one point, you just won't see my name on it at one point....his name is Ed Young), but sometimes shit happens. Short of avoiding riding on roads with traffic, there is always this chance.

I hope your friend's family is moving on OK. We're all only here for so long but it sucks for those left behind when it is shorter than it SHOULD be.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: and another one gone.. Steve Pye memory eternal [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev= Steve was a great friend of mine and I still think of him most weeks — he was one if the nicest chaps one could meet - and a fantastic biker. Good luck with your recovery and take a moment every day to count our blessings - in all their forms. :-)

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: and another one gone.. Steve Pye memory eternal [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrible horrible

After being hit twice in FL I gave up riding on the roads in FL

I save it for bike trails in FL and roads when I am in upstate NY
Last edited by: RBR: Jun 27, 18 7:17
Quote Reply